• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Domestic Season 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langeveldt

Soutie
The English boys have given a good account of themselves in pre-season, so hopefully de Bruyn and Thomas won't get a look in. I've stood by the club through a lot of stuff, but this is just ridiculous.
Yet you don't have a problem with Craig Kieswetter? A far less impressive player than de Bruyn.. If everyone is going to field SA B and C teams, then I don't have any problem with us doing it.. You have to do what you can to compete financially as well as from a manpower point of view..

I just want to hear the announcer at the T20 pronounce all these names

Last edited:

Anna

International Vice-Captain
Yet you don't have a problem with Craig Kieswetter? A far less impressive player than de Bruyn.. If everyone is going to field SA B and C teams, then I don't have any problem with us doing it.. You have to do what you can to compete financially as well as from a manpower point of view..

No because he has said that his future lies with England & it's a pretty good future by the looks of things, especially considering he's only 20. de Bruyn, on the other hand, as good as he may be, has already played for SA and I feel that signing him is a Kolpak too far for Somerset.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
EJ Morse still playing for Oxford, I see. :happy:
No one played anything at Oxford today. Don't know why; it was glorious.

Got down to the Parks just after 6pm yesterday to watch Finn bowl: saw three balls of Murtagh and two of Silverwood, then they went off for bad light.

Anna

International Vice-Captain

Thinking about it, no-one is guaranteed a place in the side, so if the signing of Kolpaks makes everyone else up their game, then it can only be a good thing.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Can't see him getting into the first XI somehow with Flintoff, Anderson, Cork, Chapple, Mahmood and Newby ahead of him.
hmm, Flintoff and possibly Anderson will soon be on international duty and i can see him playing ahead of Newby and Cork at some point this season...he's probably closer to the OD side at the moment though.

Squad for Wednesday

Horton
Sutcliffe
Loye
Law
Hodge
Flintoff
Sutton
Chapple
Mahmood
Newby
Keedy

Croft

No place for Chilton, Cork is injured and Anderson unavailable.

FBU

International Debutant
hmm, Flintoff and possibly Anderson will soon be on international duty and i can see him playing ahead of Newby and Cork at some point this season...he's probably closer to the OD side at the moment though.

Squad for Wednesday

Horton
Sutcliffe
Loye
Law
Hodge
Flintoff
Sutton
Chapple
Mahmood
Newby
Keedy

Croft

No place for Chilton, Cork is injured and Anderson unavailable.
Finally Chilton gets dropped. Bet he is wishing he kept the captaincy. I would prefer Cross getting a place as a batsman rather than Sutcliffe.

Smith is an all rounder, he has to prove he can get runs as well. Hogg will keep him out of the one day matches.

As much as Flintoff is talking about being ready for the 1st Test I think the selectors will wait until the ODIs and South Africa. They will want to play him as an all rounder but haven't a clue which batsman to drop. They should have more of an idea after the NZ Tests and it is most likely to be Strauss.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Finally Chilton gets dropped. Bet he is wishing he kept the captaincy. I would prefer Cross getting a place as a batsman rather than Sutcliffe.

Smith is an all rounder, he has to prove he can get runs as well. Hogg will keep him out of the one day matches.

As much as Flintoff is talking about being ready for the 1st Test I think the selectors will wait until the ODIs and South Africa. They will want to play him as an all rounder but haven't a clue which batsman to drop. They should have more of an idea after the NZ Tests and it is most likely to be Strauss.
Hogg is injured for the first few weeks of the season, so I think Smith should get his chance unless we run into spin friendly pitches and we play Keedy as well as Marshall (who i think should be first choice in OD this year). We'll have to play at least 6 bowling options in OD with Flintoff in the side so i think that means Flintoff + Croft plus 4

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Simon Jones plays for Worcestershire today.

Surrey vs Lancs is delayed, presumably due to overnight rain, as its been sunny all morning. You'd think Surrey could invest in some ground covers. :@

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Morse has 4/29 for Oxford against Glamorgan. :-O

Including Dalrymple for a golden. Hasn't managed to get the Bermudian international though.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Notts have signed Darren Pattinson as a non-overseas player (from cricinfo), presumably as cover for Sid & Broad. He much cop? His FC career looks wee bit ordinary to say the least.

Another ageing journeyman is clearly what the CC needs tho.
His made a good start today, already has taken three wickets for nothing.
http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/countycricket2008/engine/current/match/319880.html

Can't believe Surrey hasn't started yet. Weather is perfect where I am and my grass in the garden is bone dry.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Shaun pollock signs for durham in the T20.
Great signing and they will also have Albie Morkel for their 20/20 campaign.

Incidentally, Polly could only sign a 20/20 deal for he was already signed up by Sky to commentate on the England South African series

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Two wickets so far for Andre Nel which is a fair effort considering he only arrived in the UK this morning.
Also, Nel is apparently not in the greatest of moods, he was dropped by the Titans for their Pro 20 Semi Final this weekend due to the return of Dale Steyn and Morne Mørkel, hence his early presence in Chelmsford.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Surrey's attack in this game comprises Collins, Ormond, Saqlain, Jordan & Benning. :mellow: That really is poor for a county of our resources.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Surrey's attack in this game comprises Collins, Ormond, Saqlain, Jordan & Benning. :mellow: That really is poor for a county of our resources.
Surrey would have Nicholson but he woke up this morning feeling under the weather. Interested to see how Saqlain goes, Butcher said his been looking good in the nets...

Status
Not open for further replies.