• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Domestic Season 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anna

International Vice-Captain
The English boys have given a good account of themselves in pre-season, so hopefully de Bruyn and Thomas won't get a look in. I've stood by the club through a lot of stuff, but this is just ridiculous.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hey De Bruyn is our only chance. It says on his profile he was vaunted as the next Cronje, and lets face it, match-fixing is the only way Zummerzet will win the title:ph34r:

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Regarding ticket prices as discussed earlier in this thread. Expect international ticket prices to go through the roof in the next few years with the ECB's new bidding process purely based on the amount of money paid to them. From sources Lancashire bid twice the amount they paid for the 05 ashes test, but still didn't get any tests for next 3 years..which means grounds bid more than that...where's the money going to come from? crazy ticket prices imo.

grecian

Hey I want Zummerzet to win the title almost as much as you. Have to say I'm less confident as the season draws closer. Dunno why, just my natural miserable pessimism, I guess.

Just worried about the bowling taking consistent wickets at this level. What if Caddick doesn't produce this year? A campaign too far or injuries. Willoughby would have to do a lot of work.

Still it's better to at least be in amongst the big boys. I think we'll get a lot of runs.

grecian

and Luke Wright scores 150 against England's best up-and-coming bowling.

Don't know whether to laugh or cry, tbh.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator

Remember the bright side to him getting a Test call, though.

Personally am intending to make the short walk down to the Parks at some point tomorrow to have a look at Steven Finn bowling the Oxford UCCE top order out for the second time in two days.

TheEpic

School Boy/Girl Captain

Hardly is though is it? Onions has always been mooted for selection but probably about 10th in line and Rashid is a promising yet raw prospect, but i'd hardly say Charlie Shreck and James Tredwell represent the true picture of the future of English bowling.

grecian

Hardly is though is it? Onions has always been mooted for selection but probably about 10th in line and Rashid is a promising yet raw prospect, but i'd hardly say Charlie Shreck and James Tredwell represent the true picture of the future of English bowling.
Onions is pretty much next in line, I think. He's been picked consistently for representative honours.

Tredwell was picked for the last England tour.

I actually don't think they are the cream of the crop, but the England selectors seem to think so. Their opinion is rather more important then ours in this situation.

I haven't actually seen much county cricket recently, so I'm not really able to give much of an opinion on any of them. It would just be based on stats. From the very little I've seen on gogglebox, Onions looks as he have a little potential. Rashid is a much better batter then bowler, wouldn't be surprised if his career went the KP route. Shreck and Tredwell look ordinary, but I may have seen them on off-days.

Finn and Jordan look the best two potential-wise for me, yet Jordan wants to play for the Windies, which is dash irritating, just because he's a Barbadian 'n' all.

It looks pretty bare other then that, unless you can suggest some Billy-whizzes.:)

TheEpic

School Boy/Girl Captain
James Harris looks a prospect, I'd be happy this season to see him and Finn establish themselves as good county performers. Of course there is still Liam Plunkett, who has all the tools to be a solid bowler if he can groove his action and sort out his consistency. Onions is still a possibility too. Add that to the emergence of Broad, the rise to stardom of Sidebottom, hopefully the increased fitness of Flintoff and Tremlett (and possibly Simon Jones too, although i'm probably asking a lot here), then Hoggard who is by no means finished, and still Anderson, Harmison and Mahmood, although all prone to periods of sub-club cricket direness.

I'm not too worried.

grecian

James Harris looks a prospect, I'd be happy this season to see him and Finn establish themselves as good county performers. Of course there is still Liam Plunkett, who has all the tools to be a solid bowler if he can groove his action and sort out his consistency. Onions is still a possibility too. Add that to the emergence of Broad, the rise to stardom of Sidebottom, hopefully the increased fitness of Flintoff and Tremlett (and possibly Simon Jones too, although i'm probably asking a lot here), then Hoggard who is by no means finished, and still Anderson, Harmison and Mahmood, although all prone to periods of sub-club cricket direness.

I'm not too worried.
Well, good for you.

Yet looking at your list, I'm ****ing petrified:dry:

Still, as I mentioned a few posts before, I'm a tad bit of a miserable ****.:)

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Remember the bright side to him getting a Test call, though.

Personally am intending to make the short walk down to the Parks at some point tomorrow to have a look at Steven Finn bowling the Oxford UCCE top order out for the second time in two days.
Everytime ive seen Finn bowl (about 5 times now) he's impressed me so much. Its just so hard not to overhype him :@

Finn / Harris / Rashid / Denly / Godleman / Davies are 6 young English cricketers ill be looking out for this year. I have to say it has been a while since i had so many young English players to get excited about when it came to the start of a season. :cool:

Last edited:

Anna

International Vice-Captain
Not forgetting Hildreth. He had an awesome season last year and I hope he can carry that form on this year.

grecian

Everytime ive seen Finn bowl (about 5 times now) he's impressed me so much. Its just so hard not to overhype him :@

Finn / Harris / Rashid / Denly / Godleman / Davies are 6 young English cricketers ill be looking out for this year. I have to say it has been a while since i had so many young English players to get excited about when it came to the start of a season. :cool:
Well I agree with the batting being promising, including Hildreth and Northeast. Yet Harris and Rashid didn't have great county seasons last year. So I still think the bowling cupboard is a bit empty.

Status
Not open for further replies.