• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in New Zealand

Woodster

International Captain
Accuracy and patience has been the key all game. And Oram demonstrated this better than anyone, criminal that he only got 6-90. 10-90 wouldn't have flattered him.
Yes accuracy and patience are invariably key in any game of cricket, so I was stating the obvious really. But when there is not much happening off the track or in the air like in this innings it becomes easy to try different things and consequently the run rate increases. I was meaning that England must be disciplined and stick to their good areas.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Yes accuracy and patience are invariably key in any game of cricket, so I was stating the obvious really. But when there is not much happening off the track or in the air like in this innings it becomes easy to try different things and consequently the run rate increases. I was meaning that England must be disciplined and stick to their good areas.
There has to be a balance generally. Otherwise the game gets onepaced and drifts.

There has to be an element of change or suprise occasionally combined with that patience. Cant just run up and bowl the same ball repeatedly for 90 overs.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
In fairness this time he didn't get a great bounce, but this match's performance in the field has been right out of MSP's bad old book. Bit disappointing.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Worryingly, one John "Athlai" reports to me that upon his visits to the cricket yesterday he heard these comments upon a misfield from the Northants left-armer:
Matthew Hoggard said:
Trust that guy to bungle it.
Ryan Sidebottom said:
There's always been a bit of an edge between 'Oggy and MSP, but it seems there's almost an in-joke sort of atmosphere in the team about MSP's fielding. It really isn't a laughing matter tho. You just cannot afford fielding this bad these days.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
There's always been a bit of an edge between 'Oggy and MSP, but it seems there's almost an in-joke sort of atmosphere in the team about MSP's fielding. It really isn't a laughing matter tho. You just cannot afford fielding this bad these days.
Do expand. I wasnt aware. Where has this 'edge' manifested itself before?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There was 1 comment I can't remember after MSP had dropped a catch off him, then he dropped another 1 later and Hoggard reacted really furiously, and there was also something he said about "I haven't enjoyed having him in the team because he gets through his overs so quickly you don't have enough time to rest". I read it first, and presumed he said it jokingly, but then I heard it later on and there was really no jest at all.

This latest comment seems to confirm something I'd always hoped I was mistaken on.

Dropped!!!!!!!!

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
There was 1 comment I can't remember after MSP had dropped a catch off him, and there was also something he said about "I haven't enjoyed having him in the team because he gets through his overs so quickly you don't have enough time to rest". I read it first, and presumed he said it jokingly, but then I heard it later on and there was really no jest at all.

This latest comment seems to confirm something I'd always hoped to think I was mistaken on.
hmm, it wouldnt suprise me if Hoggard didnt particularly like Panesar but I dont see that much evidence.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well I dunno, hopefully I'm wrong, but it's always the impression I've got. Dunno if anyone else has.

As I say, until now I'd pretty much put it to the back of my mind. But it just seems undeniable to me now.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oohh..dropped catch, gee Collingwood's bowling has been a real asset for England during this series.
No use unless the catches are taken tho. :(

TBF on Ambrose, that was very far from straightforward. It was catchable, but not something I'd pillory a wicketkeeper for missing.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I hate keepers standing up to seamers, but if they are then its hard to expect them to take catches.

Woodster

International Captain
There has to be a balance generally. Otherwise the game gets onepaced and drifts.

There has to be an element of change or suprise occasionally combined with that patience. Cant just run up and bowl the same ball repeatedly for 90 overs.
Naturally, however with variations in the attack we have, with the full length of Anderson, left arm variety from Sidebottom, spin from Panesar, slow medium pace of Colly, and a shorter length from Broad, there are natural variations within our attack that mean each individual does not have to do too much different.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Naturally, however with variations in the attack we have, with the full length of Anderson, left arm variety from Sidebottom, spin from Panesar, slow medium pace of Colly, and a shorter length from Broad, there are natural variations within our attack that mean each individual does not have to do too much different.
Fair point.

I just believe that waiting for things to happen rather than making them happen is dangerous in Test cricket.

Patience and length is certainly important here but I just dont want the England guys to run in and hit a length and expect NZ to collapes over time.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well that's Lunch.

21 overs, 42 runs, 1 wicket. Imagine both teams will be not-happy-but-not-unhappy with that. As far as a close match goes, probably an ideal start.

Brett Dale

School Boy/Girl Captain
Both teams have all the time in the world, if the blackcaps though think we can block for two straight days we are kidding ourselves. This innings is on Fleming's shoulders. I said it before this could be his legacy.

Woodster

International Captain
Fair point.

I just believe that waiting for things to happen rather than making them happen is dangerous in Test cricket.

Patience and length is certainly important here but I just dont want the England guys to run in and hit a length and expect NZ to collapes over time.
I agree with what you are saying, I don't want to just see the game drift and believe we should try and make things happen when needed, maybe this can be attained with canny field changes and rotating the bowlers. But build the pressure on the batsmen with consistency.