• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in New Zealand

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Excellent declaration. Shows intent to win the game.
Perversely, I'm disappointed. A Test win (which, obviously, I'm hoping for) always feels that little bit less good when you've not managed to take 20 wickets.

Anyway, I'm now dosed-up on the old RedBull-substitute (94p for 4x what you get for £1.25 - pretty good
) so we'll see what happens for the rest of the day(\night).

Cook off-the-mark with consecutive fours to third-man. TBH, I think Vettori's mad not to have a third-man in against the new-ball. I usually think that anyway, but doubly so now.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Good start for Cook. 13 off the first 2.

:laugh: He's also now 2nd on the list of "most Test runs without a six". Only Vijay Manjrekar stands ahead. Cook has to make 550 more without hitting a six to do it.

Vaughan off-the-mark top-edging a pull to third-man. :mellow: ITSTL.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
I'm on the black coffee and biscuits combination over here. None of that new energy drink crap for me.

Not really sure how long I should stay awake though: got to be up at 09h30 tomorrow morning for refereeing and this won't finish till, what, about 4ish? However the longer I watch and the closer it gets, the more likely I am to keep watching...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm on the black coffee and biscuits combination over here. None of that new energy drink crap for me.
Pah, can't stand coffee. Fruit flavour >> coffee-bean. Biscuits sounds appealing though, I'm off to ' kitchen.
Not really sure how long I should stay awake though: got to be up at 09h30 tomorrow morning for refereeing and this won't finish till, what, about 4ish? However the longer I watch and the closer it gets, the more likely I am to keep watching...
I've been up at 8:30-9 throughout this game and I've always managed 1AM (about halfway through the 2nd session) at least. I've got the same thing today, and as long as the game stays interesting, I'm staying up. That's what alarm-clocks are for. :)

Cook gooooooooonnnnnnnnneeeeeeeeeeeee to Mills. Daym.

Jungle Jumbo

I've been up at 8:30-9 throughout this game and I've always managed 1AM (about halfway through the 2nd session) at least. I've got the same thing today, and as long as the game stays interesting, I'm staying up. That's what alarm-clocks are for. :)
I've got to run around a football pitch in two consecutive semi-finals though... I refereed hungover last weekend and it wasn't pretty, sleep deprived will probably be worse given my tolerance of late nights.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ergh Cook gone. Not happy, terrible shot by all accounts.
Uh-oh, we needed Cook to stay there. Not a typical shot either.
Cook out wafting at a ball 2 foot outside off stump really poor
TBF, a batsman like Cook is never ideally suited to this sort of situation. 99 times out of 100, if not more, he'd leave that no questions asked. But he's got to go for it now, really, and indeterminate shots like that result.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I've got to run around a football pitch in two consecutive semi-finals though... I refereed hungover last weekend and it wasn't pretty, sleep deprived will probably be worse given my tolerance of late nights.
I've worked a 10-hour shift (on my own, on a Saturday) having had not one second of sleep the previous night, and having drunk several cans of Scrumpy Jack, several alcopops and about half a bottle of vodka (not that I was supposed to have the latter...) several years ago, which isn't quite as difficult as running around a field refereeing, but isn't a million miles behind.

And you'll get no sympathy from me about being hungover - no-one should be hungover at your age. I was 19 before I had a true hangover, and even at 22-and-a-half (exactly that today 'smatter of fact) as of this post I've still only had 2, really. You should be about 25 before hangovers become a problem, unless you're drinking a) badly (ie, drinking too much of the same stuff) or b) far too much.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Perversely, I'm disappointed. A Test win (which, obviously, I'm hoping for) always feels that little bit less good when you've not managed to take 20 wickets.

Anyway, I'm now dosed-up on the old RedBull-substitute (94p for 4x what you get for £1.25 - pretty good
) so we'll see what happens for the rest of the day(\night).

Cook off-the-mark with consecutive fours to third-man. TBH, I think Vettori's mad not to have a third-man in against the new-ball. I usually think that anyway, but doubly so now.
England have almost no chance of winning the game imo. It will be a bit of a miracle if England does manage to win this according to me. If New Zealand need to tighten the scews, Vettori is always there and we all know what happened when Vettori and Patel bowled in tandem on the third day (lovely piece of test match bowling). This is a fifth day pitch now.

As England have almost no chance of winning according to me, I don't quite agree with the aggressive counter attack approach they came up with first up. Play the first session safe guarding wickets and see if you are still in with a chance by the middle/end of the second session would have been the far better approach imo. Even if they fancy that given the pitch, the runs are chaseable, going for them this early can prove disastrous.

Red Bull is good btw... :)

Athlai

Not Terrible
Vettori is a brave man. Hope to see a lot of bold decisions like this in the future.

Yeah and **** off Cook, this could go down to the wire.

Jungle Jumbo

And you'll get no sympathy from me about being hungover - no-one should be hungover at your age. I was 19 before I had a true hangover, and even at 22-and-a-half (exactly that today 'smatter of fact) as of this post I've still only had 2, really. You should be about 25 before hangovers become a problem, unless you're drinking a) badly (ie, drinking too much of the same stuff) or b) far too much.
If I was working a shift, I wouldn't complain. But seeing as my job involves physical exercise...

Oh and I want no sympathy. Was angry enough with myself last week. As with previously before Christmas.

Oh and add to that list c) drinking too much of different stuff...at the same time. Not clever.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I've worked a 10-hour shift (on my own, on a Saturday) having had not one second of sleep the previous night, and having drunk several cans of Scrumpy Jack, several alcopops and about half a bottle of vodka (not that I was supposed to have the latter...) several years ago, which isn't quite as difficult as running around a field refereeing, but isn't a million miles behind.

:unsure:

;)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
England have almost no chance of winning the game imo. It will be a bit of a miracle if England does manage to win this according to me. If New Zealand need to tighten the scews, Vettori is always there and we all know what happened when Vettori and Patel bowled in tandem on the third day (lovely piece of test match bowling). This is a fifth day pitch now.

As England have almost no chance of winning according to me, I don't quite agree with the aggressive counter attack approach they came up with first up. Play the first session safe guarding wickets and see if you are still in with a chance by the middle/end of the second session would have been the far better approach imo. Even if they fancy that given the pitch, the runs are chaseable, going for them this early can prove disastrous.

Red Bull is good btw... :)
I'm certainly not confident of our chances - as I've said several times and as even Pietersen has said this morning - this surface is exceptionally difficult to force the pace on, especially against a spinner of the calibre of Vettori.

But I do think we have a chance. Draw favourite, followed marginally by New Zealand, followed by us.

Jungle Jumbo

Vettori is a brave man. Hope to see a lot of bold decisions like this in the future.

Yeah and **** off Cook, this could go down to the wire.
Don't think it was too difficult a call where and when to declare. I'd say it was 60% draw, 30% New Zealand win and 10% (maybe less) England win when he declared.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Don't think it was too difficult a call where and when to declare. I'd say it was 60% draw, 30% New Zealand win and 10% (maybe less) England win when he declared.
Mate TBH I reckon if Vaughan was in the same position he would have batted out every over he had and made the draw a near certainty, Dave and Dan didn't do that, they scored the runs and the declaration was set.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yay, John's joining us again.

Oh, and George - yeah, drinking too much of anything isn't a good idea in general. Personally, though (and possibly unusually), I tend to get something closer to hungover by drinking 5 ciders than by having 2 ciders, 2 Southern Comforts, a couple of vodkas, a gin and a reef\WKD (yeah yeah... yes, I do like 'em, so do millions of other people). Mixing drinks FTW, whatever anyone tells me. And I get bored of the same drink to boot, TBH.

Good that you're getting annoyed with yourself for being hungover tho. :) Good attitude.