• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** England in New Zealand

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Oh dear. I think Jesse may have more than just an attitude problem. Very sad to see a player with such ability let it go to waste like this.

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah, Taylor's been excellent this series, I said here that I hadn't noticed any extraordinary leg-side bias and I still haven't TBH.

In fact, "Taylor's been excellent this series" is quite an inaccurate reflection: the truth is that Taylor's been excellent for almost all his ODI career, it's just his terrible WC2007 somewhat disguises this. Taylor in his whole career against ODI standard sides averages 33.42, but knock out WC2007 and it's 40.33.

That said, I've long been of the opinion that ODIs require negligable attention when selecting a player for Tests. And regardless of Taylor's decent game which he's displayed in ODIs, there are other players who've done more than he to merit a Test place at the current time. Right now, I'd pick:
Bell
How
Fleming
Sinclair
Fulton
Oram
McCullum
<4 bowlers>

Now Ryder is gone from the reckoning, it's clearly simply a case of 2 from 3 of Sinclair, Fulton and Taylor. None have a very obvious advantage.
Interesting. I didn't think Taylor had done that much of note this season with just a couple of 50s to his name IIRC. His WC showed that at this early stage he may struggle on slower pitches but that can be ironed out without too much trouble I would think. I prefer the Taylor of pre 2007 WC than the one we have this season though. I think he will get to test standard but he isn't there just yet.

Not sure that Sinclair should get a test spot unless he starts to score big in these practice games against England. He hasn't really done much bar a couple of List A 50s since the Bangladesh series but AFAIK there has been no FC cricket since then so we should use these practice games to guage his form. Fulton scored 66 for Canterbury the other day in a List A game batting at 4, adding to my thoery the only reason he has been out of nick is because he's been batting at six.

Flem274*

123/5
http://www.blackcaps.co.nz/content/blackcaps/latestblackcapsnews/11378/zealand-selection.aspx

Interesting - gives a couple of indications :

How will certainly be the test opener with bell.
Hay is not in the frame.
Elliot is on the verge.
Mark Orchard is constantly rewarded for doing nothing.
How=yes. About time should have played vs Bangladesh.

Hay should be in the frame, perhaps not in the side but looked at certainly

Grant Elliot? He's a number 6 batting allrounder is he not? Perhaps Oram will get elevated to number 5. I don't rate Elliots bowling much TBH and as a batsman I'm not sure. Sounds like they're trying to make a new Scott Styris after Jesse went and did a Jesse

Orchard=one of the most mediocre batsmen in the country. If he opens ahead of How, Bell, Papps, Guptill, heck even Cumming, the I will be furious.

Speaking of openers whatever happened to McIntosh? Back in 2003 he seemed to be on the verge of selection now he's vanished. (Not saying pick him Heath, breathe easy now).

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
The problem for Ryder and NZC now is that he's in the public eye so everything he does is going to get out in the open. He was a relative unknown before so he got away with a lot of things but he's now going to find that won't be the case.

He's either going to learn very quickly to turn himself around or he's going to completely spiral out of control.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
His behaviour at the hospital was shameful.

They had to call security on him as he was abusing the nurses and bleeding everywhere. He demanded priority treatment and made comments like "Dont you know who i am" and "I am NZ cricket."
Haha!

"I am NZ cricket"

That's gold.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Just an update on England vs NZ Selection.

England were all out for 369 at stumps on Day One.
They will be disappointed with that I feel. At one stage they were 270/3.

Not the greatest bowling attack either with Gillespie returning from injury, O'Brien well documented and a couple of unknown Otago reserve players.
The test will come tomorrow when Fleming, Sinclair, Bell and Fulton line up for a bat.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
http://www.blackcaps.co.nz/content/blackcaps/latestblackcapsnews/11378/zealand-selection.aspx

Interesting - gives a couple of indications :

How will certainly be the test opener with bell.
Hay is not in the frame.
Elliot is on the verge.
Mark Orchard is constantly rewarded for doing nothing.
1. There's no certainty about it. Bell's spot is assured, but Cumming would be playing in this current match if he weren't playing for Otago. Cumming failed in the first test against Bangladesh but hit back with a solid 40 in the second in his only innings. He was also only one of the few batsmen in South Africa to do anything. He should be given at least the first test to perform, before bringing in How.

2. Hay shouldn't be in the frame just yet. There's a bit of a batting backlog, and he should be behind Broom and Nicol, not to mention Taylor who i doubt will play the first test.

3. Elliott is not on the verge. He's done very little this season - he averages under 25 with the bat and about 38 with the ball last time I checked, and his FC stats as a whole are also very poor.

4. Agreed.

Now this makes me think.... With Ryder gone for 3 months I think the selectors are already planning for his absence in the one day series in England. How will be pushed up to open and Grant Elliot will come in (possibly at 6) to offer another bowling option.
I doubt Elliott will make the tour of England in any form. We have plenty of bowling in the side as it currently is.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
If New Zealand were desperate, they would have told Cumming to miss the State Shield final. With all due respect to the final, it's nothing compared to a test against England.

I would be shocked if Cumming was selected to open ahead of How.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
And yet they didn't tell that to McCullum. He hasn't been in the best of form in tests, so getting some game time against England would also do him well. But guess what? He's playing for Otago, like McCullum.

Don't read too much in that (Cumming playing in the State shield).

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't really think they want the entire NZ test team featuring in this warm-up match however. McCullum's spot in the test team is guaranteed anyway.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Umm, how about How batting at no.3??

Thus:

Cumming/Papps
Bell
How
Fleming
Sinclair/Taylor/Fulton
Oram

This is the most interesting test selection coming up that I can remember. Basically three players I can see fighting for the no.5 spot.

I think no.5 and no.6 have to be your best attacking batsmen; either to carry on after a good foundation, or to counter-attack. Thus, I think Taylor is the most attacking batsmen of the three above and therefore I think he should be in the running for no.5. No.5 and no.6 batsmen do not have to have such a flash technique if they score runs quickly. Astle and McMillan were perfect examples.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Cumming and Papps really don't give me any confidence. And all of sudden Matt Bell's a hero..the jury's still out on him for me too.

How
Bell
Sinclair
Fleming
Taylor/Fulton.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Just an update on England vs NZ Selection.

England were all out for 369 at stumps on Day One.
They will be disappointed with that I feel. At one stage they were 270/3.

Not the greatest bowling attack either with Gillespie returning from injury, O'Brien well documented and a couple of unknown Otago reserve players.
The test will come tomorrow when Fleming, Sinclair, Bell and Fulton line up for a bat.
I'd say they will be very disappointed with their score, the bowling attack bar Gillespie and O'Brien, who neither have exactly gained a huge amount of popularity with their performances against decent opposition anyway, was very very average.

Shah staking a claim for test selection though, I wonder now if Vaughan and Cook will open for a middle order of Bell, KP, Collingwood and Shah.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
If any one wants to have a debate on the test team, ring me up at Radio Sport tomorrow night!

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
I'd say they will be very disappointed with their score, the bowling attack bar Gillespie and O'Brien, who neither have exactly gained a huge amount of popularity with their performances against decent opposition anyway, was very very average.

Shah staking a claim for test selection though, I wonder now if Vaughan and Cook will open for a middle order of Bell, KP, Collingwood and Shah.
nah don't think they will be that dissapointed. They would only be batting for a day anyway considering its a 2 day match. They obviously tried to score at a decent click aswell. The dissapointments would have come from Strauss and Ambrose. Even though it's a 13 man affair England didn't have the usual 'deep' batting line, it was actually lighter than the batting line up will be on Friday.

Friday's line-up will be interesting as only one of Mustard and Ambrose (hopefully Ambrose) will play and it would be pretty much a shoot out between Shah and Strauss for a place in the side.

My predicted side for Friday

Strauss
Vaughan
Bell
KP
Collingwood
Shah
Ambrose
Broad
Hoggard
Harmison
MSP

Gives Strauss another go up top whilst also giving Vaughan some time there in case. Gives Shah a chance to bat where he would be batting if selected..KP and Collingwood will obviously have to come in, but Cook doesn't really need to play. Anderson looks out of the picture at the moment whilst Sidebottom is pretty much gauranteed a spot a could get a rest. Harmison, Hoggard and MSP could do with the practice while Broad gets a chance to push his claims to be ahead of Harmison or be part of an all seam attack if needed.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Im Kent's producer through some of the weeknights. So I talk to the caller before they go on air. Plenty of time for me to debate tho as well!

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Im Kent's producer through some of the weeknights. So I talk to the caller before they go on air. Plenty of time for me to debate tho as well!
Congrats on getting into that position then! Certainly not a bad way to spend the evening, debating cricket with the callers. ;)

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
You get the wacko's too tho! I've only just started the producing. Im usually on the newsdesk doing interviews and going out to press conference's etc