• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gilchrist denies retirement talk (Edit: and announces his retirement)

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
OMG! I had no idea. This is so sudden. I think it’s time though. It’s just a shame it had to come after all that speculation on his spot. Well, this is huge. And I’m sadder than I thought I would be. He needs a huge send off at the Adelaide Oval because he has brought a lot of joy to this great game. Well played Gilly, I think there should be a separate tribute thread. If any player deserves that, it’s Gilly.
Nah thread title change would be good enough, he is no Sangakkara.

Reckon someone like Perm will have one up soon though.

burr

State Vice-Captain
A thread title change is no where near good enough imo. This man changed the face of test cricket.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
But my source was an on-air conversation - and I had no idea whether the news was online or not, seeing as it appeared to be "instant" from the Channel 9 commentators. Why would I make something like that up?

And if the link was so easy to find, you wouldn't have had any problems finding it yourself.
Never claimed that you made it up, it was just possible that the commentators at the time could have got to wrong information. Thats why I asked for a 2nd source.

burr

State Vice-Captain
^ Can you two not pollute this thread with what is one of the most petty arguments I have seen. He/she asked for a link - that is all.

pasag

RTDAS
Can't fully change the thread title or the first 70 or so posts don't make much sense, burr you're welcome to start a tribute thread if you want.

PY

International Coach
:yawn: @ petty arguments.

Unbelievable career, I didn't think I'd ever say this about an Australian who's killed us over the years but I'm genuinely sorry that he's retiring.

Legend.

Craig

World Traveller
What's the bet this is secretly a bit of a **** you to all the knockers and not to give them the statisfaction of him being dropped and to get out on top. Saddened he hasn't got 100 Tests, but at least he has never missed a Test for whatever reason. Fantastic effort.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What's the bet this is secretly a bit of a **** you to all the knockers and not to give them the statisfaction of him being dropped and to get out on top.
Knowing Gilchrist, I'd say it's nothing of the sort. He probably felt his recent form was letting the team down, and as much as he would've liked to reach 100 Tests and battle through this current rut, it would have hurt the team.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
What's the bet this is secretly a bit of a **** you to all the knockers and not to give them the statisfaction of him being dropped and to get out on top. Saddened he hasn't got 100 Tests, but at least he has never missed a Test for whatever reason. Fantastic effort.
Reckon there is a chance this could have been a tap on the shoulder too. As most players announce their retirements before a Test or series if it is 100% their own choice. But maybe he just wanted to hold the record for bit first. Probably not really the time to discuss it.

pasag

RTDAS
I have no doubt it was the press that did it in the end. If they wouldn't have made such a big deal out of his form he wouldn't have retired. This wasn't part of his plans, he felt the pressure and didn't want to become one of those players that lingered on while his place was debated in the headlines. I doubt he would have gotten the finger tap from selectors in the middle of a Test either.

I don't think the press were necessarily wrong in questioning his position though, they have every right to, but if they hadn't been so loud about it, he wouldn't have gone, imo.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Nice bloke, great player, great career. Shame we won't get to see him over here next year, well sort of :p

Craig

World Traveller
Nice bloke, great player, great career. Shame we won't get to see him over here next year, well sort of :p
I'm sure your holding out that freak accidents happen to Matt Hayden, Ricky Ponting, Michael Hussey, Stuart Clark and Brett Lee? :p

Last edited by a moderator:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'm sure your holding out that freak accidents happen to Matt Hayden, Ricky Ponting, Michael Hussey, Stuart Clarke and Brett Lee? :p
Freak accidents would be evil...alien adbuction, however, well i am down with that **** (yo yo yo)

pup11

International Coach
Bye Gilly, you would be missed.

Oh..... man so the day has finally come when one of the greatest cricketers ever decides to call it quits, iguess Gilly probably got fed up of all the criticism he was receving from all around, but he has had such a great career and probably the time is just right for him to pass on his gloves, but i would liked seeing him play atleast 100 tests (he is currently on 96) but i guess he just knew that the time has come.
So the curtains are about to fall on one of the greatest careers ever, i just hope he finishes on a high note, thank you Gilly for entertaining us over the years the way you did, you would be sorely missed.

chalky

International Debutant
Good riddance sick of him TBH. The very few times you get the Ausies 5 down for not very many he always seemed to come in, smash a run-a-ball hundred & take the game away from you ruined some potentially very competative test matches.

Seriously though a great player & shoe in for my all time world 11.

Highlight of his career for me was his batting against South Africa in the 2001/2002 season bordered on the genius IMO, especially in South Africa on some juicy pitches. That unbeaten 200 & odd in 1st test was glorious shame he couldn’t have won the gold bar, if I remember correctly he hit the ball too well & that six cleared gold bar advertising board he needed to hit.