• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gilchrist denies retirement talk (Edit: and announces his retirement)

eglezdzdiyd

School Boy/Girl Captain
Gilly has single handedly changed the wicket keeping role from a keeper that could bat a little, to a batsman that can keep pretty well. Whether this is a good thing, you can be the judge. I'd still take healy any day of the week.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
I have no doubt it was the press that did it in the end. If they wouldn't have made such a big deal out of his form he wouldn't have retired. This wasn't part of his plans, he felt the pressure and didn't want to become one of those players that lingered on while his place was debated in the headlines. I doubt he would have gotten the finger tap from selectors in the middle of a Test either.

I don't think the press were necessarily wrong in questioning his position though, they have every right to, but if they hadn't been so loud about it, he wouldn't have gone, imo.

But as aprofessional sportsman you've goota expect that crap is gonna be said and written about you.
I'd be surprised if that's why he quit.

It's been obvious he's been on the decline for some time now as a batsman.....as I said I believe teams have worked out how to bowl to his weaknesses. HIs keeping has also deteriorated.
What's the point in staying on when your best is past ? He is part of a world champion side taht's won just about everything. WHat incentive is there for him to continue ?

pasag

RTDAS
But as aprofessional sportsman you've goota expect that crap is gonna be said and written about you.
I'd be surprised if that's why he quit.

It's been obvious he's been on the decline for some time now as a batsman.....as I said I believe teams have worked out how to bowl to his weaknesses. HIs keeping has also deteriorated.
What's the point in staying on when your best is past ? He is part of a world champion side taht's won just about everything. WHat incentive is there for him to continue ?
Oh, my fault for not making this clearer, I don't think he quit because of the pressure from the headlines, I think he saw it as time to go once that started happening. He didn't want to be the guy that has his place debated in article columns. I think it says alot about his brilliant character that he wouldn't want any fuss made over him and once the media got louder he opted to go quickly and quietly.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Highlight of his career for me was his batting against South Africa in the 2001/2002 season bordered on the genius IMO, especially in South Africa on some juicy pitches. That unbeaten 200 & odd in 1st test was glorious shame he couldn’t have won the gold bar, if I remember correctly he hit the ball too well & that six cleared gold bar advertising board he needed to hit.
You're right about nearly winning said gold bar but I'd dispute the rest. For starters, there was no juice whatsoever in those surfaces (except occasionally in the Third Test) and for seconds, that bloody dropped catch from Kallis meant a good series looked like an exceptional one. :@

chalky

International Debutant
You're right about nearly winning said gold bar but I'd dispute the rest. For starters, there was no juice whatsoever in those surfaces (except occasionally in the Third Test) and for seconds, that bloody dropped catch from Kallis meant a good series looked like an exceptional one. :@
The pitches wern't green tops but they certainly wern't feather beds either.

I don't understand your obsession with dropped catches devalueing batting performances & can't even remember the one to Kallis you reference.

I cannot fathom how anyone who watched that series doesn't regard Gilchrists' batting as exceptional for me the highlight of his career.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The pitches wern't green tops but they certainly wern't feather beds either.
Those in the First and Second Tests were. Barely any bowlers got the ball off the straight.
I don't understand your obsession with dropped catches devalueing batting performances & can't even remember the one to Kallis you reference.
He was dropped on 15-20 or something by Kallis at second-slip (as had Hayden been earlier) off a simple chance.
I cannot fathom how anyone who watched that series doesn't regard Gilchrists' batting as exceptional for me the highlight of his career.
He played a superb knock the next Test and another good one in the final game. But that double shouldn't have happened.

And for mine, Gilchrist's play in his debut season was his best.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nah, was impressive once more in 2002\03, 2003, and even 2001\02 (just not as impressive as that Kallis drop made it look).