• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shaun Pollock retires from International Cricket

Steulen

International Regular
Last year there were rumours a Dutch club were trying to lure him into playing the Dutch league for a season (by using a handsome amount of money of course). Since he's got nothing better to do now...I might actually go and watch ;)

Anyhow, brilliant bowler, if not for a certain Mr. McGrath he would have been by far the best fast bowler of his generation. Of course, being a handy batsman adds bonus points. Not to be used lightly, but appropriate: an all-time great.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Last year there were rumours a Dutch club were trying to lure him into playing the Dutch league for a season (by using a handsome amount of money of course). Since he's got nothing better to do now...I might actually go and watch ;)
He may be practically retired now, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have better things to do than pwn Dutch semi-pros. :p

PY

International Coach
One of my favourite players of this generation, fantastic bowler and an increasingly impressive batting record.

Probably 2nd best bowler of his time and wish he had more recognition as an all-rounder too because his numbers certainly hold up against some of the very best.

oz_fan

International Regular
Fantastic player in both forms of the game. Incredibly valuable to SA and it's unfortunate they didn't treat him that way towards the end of his career and like others have said he wanted to go out on his terms. One of my favourite players of the modern game.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
One of the great players. Loved watching him play. Thought he got harsly dealt with a few times, especially after WC'03 and recently.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Is it too early to use the word legend? Brilliant bowler, Brilliant bloke.. Could bat and field a bit too.. One of the nicest guys in cricket and will be sorely missed.. Glad Polly had the chance to go out on his terms

Perm

I don't think anybody can dispute the fact that Pollock is an all-time great, and a true legend of the game. The legacy of the Pollocks in South African Cricket has been immense, and Shaun continued to build upon that. The second best fast bowler of his time, and an excellent lower order batsman. Is fit to rank with the best all-rounders cricket has seen.

Mister Wright

I don't think anybody can dispute the fact that Pollock is an all-time great, and a true legend of the game. The legacy of the Pollocks in South African Cricket has been immense, and Shaun continued to build upon that. The second best fast bowler of his time, and an excellent lower order batsman. Is fit to rank with the best all-rounders cricket has seen.

AWTA. Great post.

Evermind

International Debutant
Pollock's stats as an all-rounder as better than Flintoff's and Botham's. More than a "handy lower order hitter" IMO - strangely, he has never been acknowledged as a genuine all-rounder. Probably cause SA have always been gifted with a million of those.

In my book, he was as useful as McGrath to the team - the very slight difference in bowling averages was made up by the huge difference in batting capabilities.

Will be sorely missed - especially by SA.

Craig

World Traveller
I can see why he would be demoted from the new ball, they had to think for the future and guys like Nel and Steyn hade to gain experience somehow opening the bowling before he retired. I'm not a fast bowler or an expert like Kev (:p) but I would think there is a difference between opening and coming on as 1st or 2nd change. IMO it was a mistake that West Indies made when they lost both Ambrose and Walsh. And no I'm not ripping off you Camps, I always held that opinion well before I came to CW :p

Sad to see him, loved watching him bowl and bat, I remember seeing him cart the likes of Kyle Mills and James Franklin in ODIs and boy did they go a long way. One of the best no 8 batsmen I've seen and frankly Pollock > Warne with the bat.

Evermind

International Debutant
One of the best no 8 batsmen I've seen and frankly Pollock > Warne with the bat.
Warne's batting average: 17.32
Pollock's batting average: 32.31

Almost double? No **** he's a better batsman.

Botham's: 33.54
Flintoff's: 32.50

Is it me or do Australians love to over-rate Warne?

Last edited:

Captain Cricket

State Vice-Captain
I can see why he would be demoted from the new ball, they had to think for the future and guys like Nel and Steyn hade to gain experience somehow opening the bowling before he retired. I'm not a fast bowler or an expert like Kev (:p) but I would think there is a difference between opening and coming on as 1st or 2nd change. IMO it was a mistake that West Indies made when they lost both Ambrose and Walsh. And no I'm not ripping off you Camps, I always held that opinion well before I came to CW :p

Sad to see him, loved watching him bowl and bat, I remember seeing him cart the likes of Kyle Mills and James Franklin in ODIs and boy did they go a long way. One of the best no 8 batsmen I've seen and frankly Pollock > Warne with the bat.
But Warne > Pollock with the ball :)

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
An awesome player who will definitely be missed, at least by myself. A great bowler and immensely under-rated batsman.

Craig

World Traveller
You would expect him to have some batting talent considering how good his uncle was :p The perfect cricketing family for mine.