• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wicketkeeper-batsman for the 1990-2007 ODI XI

Pick one

• Mahendra Dhoni

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alec Stewart

• Adam Parore

• Moin Khan

• Romesh Kaluwitharana

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Time to continue with this after a long break...

Only 3 options remotely worthy of consideration IMO TBH, but will include a few others for argument's sake.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Gilly easily. In Tests with Flower people might have a decent argument (although I'd disagree), but in ODIs its a no-contest. Sangga is quality, and might at the moment be better than Gilly (unsurprisingly since he's in his prime and Gilly is in his autumn years as a player), but over the time frame specified, Gilly all the way - in an all time team Gilly's extra explosiveness more than compensates for his comparative lack of solidity in comparison to Sanggakara.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Gilly easily. In Tests with Flower people might have a decent argument (although I'd disagree), but in ODIs its a no-contest. Sangga is quality, and might at the moment be better than Gilly (unsurprisingly since he's in his prime and Gilly is in his autumn years as a player), but over the time frame specified, Gilly all the way - in an all time team Gilly's extra explosiveness more than compensates for his comparative lack of solidity in comparison to Sanggakara.
Idem.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Was meaning Mahendra as the 3rd option TBH. :p

readie

State Regular
Gilchrist by a country mile, i'm just dissapointed that we didnt get to see him on the international Test stage earlier, it shows the quality of Ian healy to have been able to keep gilchrist out of the test side for so long.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Wow. There was never any doubt (in my mind at least...) that Gilchrist was going to win, but 10 out of 10 so far. Impressive.

We really need wahindiawah\nehrafan with his remaining duplicate accounts here methinks. ;)

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Wow. There was never any doubt (in my mind at least...) that Gilchrist was going to win, but 10 out of 10 so far. Impressive.

We really need wahindiawah\nehrafan with his remaining duplicate accounts here methinks. ;)
I closely considered Sangakkara. I was tempted, but then realised that I'd probably only be voting for him to be controversial, so I resisted.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Did think about putting him in TBH but he's done virtually nothing of note (not that he's had a terribly large amount of opportunity). Not even thought of (however incorrectly) as a revolutionist the way Romesh is.

jammay123

State 12th Man
considering his late start to international cricket i still feel he his the best because he literally written the book on modern day wickrtkeeping/batting which has been nor bettered gilly or come close to his impact on the world stage

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well if you can't change it, no-one can. :p

FFS, read thread titles before voting. :@ Now our chance of a clean-sweep is gone. EDIT: someone else... who's never made a single post... has also voted Flower. :blink:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
'Cos he really hasn't done that much to get noticed in his ODI career. Even Kalu is more famous.

cpr

International Coach
Only 3 options remotely worthy of consideration IMO TBH, but will include a few others for argument's sake.
Not according to the 27 voters before me

Really, there is no choice. Now if you'd just said Wicketkeeper, or expanded it to tests, mebbie more variation. But ODI Wkt/Batsmen, might aswell have titled it 'Who's the Best Gilchrist out there', because he's made the role is own