• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

GROUP B - Australia, England, Zimbabwe

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I really loved the way Ponting took a dig at KP and the English side reacting KP's comments "that he would love to send Australians home and embarrass them", Ponting said that it doesn't really matter what you say unless you can back it up on the field but after today's game they (England) are the one's who would be embarrassed!!
Pietersen can't help how his side performed, he played a decent knock against Australia and has stood up against them quite a few times in the past. I thought the first ball he faced where he slapped it for four through cover was a magnificent shot and really highlighted how he wanted to play, unfortunately, most of his team aren't very good.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Pietersen can't help how his side performed, he played a decent knock against Australia and has stood up against them quite a few times in the past. I thought the first ball he faced where he slapped it for four through cover was a magnificent shot and really highlighted how he wanted to play, unfortunately, most of his team aren't very good.
Doesn't excuse the comments though. For all the trash talking Australian players (like McGrath, say) have done over the years, I can't recall anyone actually saying they wanted to humiliate the opposition before. That's a fair step up from just saying you think you will win, and Pietersen deserves criticism for talking crap like that and then being well beaten.

Perm

Doesn't excuse the comments though. For all the trash talking Australian players (like McGrath, say) have done over the years, I can't recall anyone actually saying they wanted to humiliate the opposition before. That's a fair step up from just saying you think you will win, and Pietersen deserves criticism for talking crap like that and then being well beaten.
I disagree actually, I think Pietersen was perhaps a bit big-headed in making those comments about how he wanted to humiliate Australia, but I don't have any real problem with them. His team failed to deliver, of which some responsibility can be placed on his shoulders as the sides premier bastman, but he can't really help how the rest of his team plays. Of course, it always looks bad when you talk trash and your team doesn't perform, but I don't have any problem with Pietersen making those initial comments.

pasag

RTDAS
These were KPs comments, maybe a touch unnecessary but not as bad in context imo:

"We've been humiliated by Australia," said Pietersen. "Now we are in a position of strength where we can humiliate them."

But Pietersen warned that Australia were likely to bounce back. "We've been playing a lot of cricket and they looked a bit rusty yesterday but they've got world-class players and you can never underestimate them. But we've got an edge in terms of match practice."
And btw, first off the woman commentator wasn't as bad as everyone is making out and secondly I've got to laugh at all the staunch Twenty20 supporters going off at her when they fail to realise that she's there for the same reason as all the other marketing ploys, to make cricket more accessible to the masses, something crusty, old expert ex-players just can't do.

Laurrz

International Debutant
Give Hilfenhaus a match please selectors. Clark's been alright, but you're kidding yourself if you don't think Ben's got more to offer.
im a huge fan of Hilfy but after that performance by the quartet of fast bowlers i wouldnt change a thing... thats two games in a row our bowling has been good

although before a game if the conditions look like it will swing i would definately want Hilfy to come in for perhaps a Stuart Clark who isn't really known as a swing bowler
it's good luxury to have a bowler like that in the wings anyway

Perm

And btw, first off the woman commentator wasn't as bad as everyone is making out and secondly I've got to laugh at all the staunch Twenty20 supporters going off at her when they fail to realise that she's there for the same reason as all the other marketing ploys, to make cricket more accessible to the masses, something crusty, old expert ex-players just can't do.
It's pretty obvious the only reason she is there is because she is a woman, to think she's made the cut based purely on commentary is idiotic. Fact of the matter is that she's a dire commentator, if they had to have a woman then Cass Naido would've been much better.

pasag

RTDAS
It's pretty obvious the only reason she is there is because she is a woman, to think she's made the cut based purely on commentary is idiotic. Fact of the matter is that she's a dire commentator, if they had to have a woman then Cass Naido would've been much better.
Missed the point though as evident in saying 'to think she's made the cut based purely on commentary is idiotic'. She's there to make Twenty20 more accessible to people, including women. People can't harp on about how Twenty20 will bring cricket to the masses and then go cry foul when a commentator is brought in for that very reason. It makes no sense to me.

And her commentary wasn't that poor either, I think people might be jumping on it because she's a woman and not giving her a chance. She wasn't great but nowhere near as bad as people are making out. And furthermore, the target audience of people new to cricket would have no idea she's not brilliant, so I can't really see the problem and as I said, I find certain people's objections a bit strange in this case.

Perm

Missed the point though as evident in saying 'to think she's made the cut based purely on commentary is idiotic'. She's there to make Twenty20 more accessible to people, including women. People can't harp on about how Twenty20 will bring cricket to the masses and then go cry foul when a commentator is brought in for that very reason. It makes no sense to me.

And her commentary wasn't that poor either, I think people might be jumping on it because she's a woman and not giving her a chance. She wasn't great but nowhere near as bad as people are making out. And furthermore, the target audience of people new to cricket would have no idea she's not brilliant, so I can't really see the problem and as I said, I find certain people's objections a bit strange in this case.
Are you seriously suggesting that having a woman commentator will help to lift the popularity of Twenty20? Ludicrous statement to make IMO, people will watch for the entertainment factor, and I fail to see how Donna Williams adds to that in any way. Her commentary was very poor, she seemed to talk constantly and never left the viewer a chance to actually think for themselves as she seemed to be making comments the whole time. That's what annoyed me the most.

pasag

RTDAS
Are you seriously suggesting that having a woman commentator will help to lift the popularity of Twenty20? Ludicrous statement to make IMO, people will watch for the entertainment factor, and I fail to see how Donna Williams adds to that in any way. Her commentary was very poor, she seemed to talk constantly and never left the viewer a chance to actually think for themselves as she seemed to be making comments the whole time. That's what annoyed me the most.
How is it a 'Ludicrous statement to make'? You're showing a basic lack of understanding here and I'm not sure how I can explain it any better. She is there to make the new format more accessible to a new set of fans, it's not complicated. She's part and parcel of the whole package and if you don't get that then I have to wonder if you even realise what is going on here in the first place.

She might be dire by a 'cricket tragics' standards like you and I, but she was fine for the target audince, which you and I are not part of. Therefore as I've said, the indignation at her by Twenty20 supporters here is rather silly. I don't think I can explain it any better than that.

Perm

How is it a 'Ludicrous statement to make'? You're showing a basic lack of understanding here and I'm not sure how I can explain it any better. She is there to make the new format more accessible to a new set of fans, it's not complicated. She's part and parcel of the whole package and if you don't get that then I have to wonder if you even realise what is going on here in the first place.

She might be dire by a 'cricket tragics' standards like you and I, but she was fine for the target audince, which you and I are not part of. Therefore as I've said, the indignation at her by Twenty20 supporters here is rather silly. I don't think I can explain it any better than that.
So because she has breasts and ****** it will attract more people to watch the cricket? I think not. How is she making it more accessible? Be re-iterating her point several times, going around in circles and then not even making a point? I realise that the ICC are trying to 'dumb down' cricket, so it appeals to the masses, but I can't see how Donna Williams is helping that, just because she's a female. Woman aren't going to start watching the game because there is a female commentating, they'll watch because they may enjoy the entertainment of Twenty20 cricket.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Its giving a fresh voice to cricket, or thats the intention at least. Not ex players or lifelong fans but someone who may appeal to the T20 masses.

Whether or not it DOES appeal to the T20 masses is debatable and IMO their are many proper commentators who would be much 'hipper' substitutes. But thats all they are trying to do.

pasag

RTDAS
So because she has breasts and ****** it will attract more people to watch the cricket? I think not. How is she making it more accessible? Be re-iterating her point several times, going around in circles and then not even making a point? I realise that the ICC are trying to 'dumb down' cricket, so it appeals to the masses, but I can't see how Donna Williams is helping that, just because she's a female. Woman aren't going to start watching the game because there is a female commentating, they'll watch because they may enjoy the entertainment of Twenty20 cricket.
Simply put, for the last time, a bunch of old men are not going to appeal to a new crowd and it's not going to help lift the 'boring' tag off cricket. A women in the box might, it's that simple. Commentary acts as a huge intermediary between the sport and the people. If you want to make cricket accessible to the masses you have to start there. It's simple marketing. Saying people will watch just for the 'entertainment of Twenty20 cricket' is pretty naive, it's a whole package as I said and she's a part of that.

Perm

Simply put, for the last time, a bunch of old men are not going to appeal to a new crowd and it's not going to help lift the 'boring' tag off cricket. A women in the box might, it's that simple. Commentary acts as a huge intermediary between the sport and the people. If you want to make cricket accessible to the masses you have to start there. It's simple marketing. Saying people will watch just for the 'entertainment of Twenty20 cricket' is pretty naive, it's a whole package as I said and she's a part of that.
I seriously don't buy into the whole, "she's a woman, so she'll get people watching" because I can't comprehend why they would watch, because she's such a poor commentator. I mean, the concept of having a woman in the box is a decent one, but I just don't think Donna Williams does the job.

pasag

RTDAS
Yeah it might not work but that's what they are trying to do here, as Athlai said. I personally think it has a greater chance of success than the opposite and I must say I've being extremely impressed by the marketing and planning of the tournament, especially compared to the Caribbean effort.

Athlai

Not Terrible
This tournament has a refreshing feel to it compared to the poor one in the Caribbean, Donna has been the only real blemish for me but then again I enjoyed cricket before T20 so I don't know how someone new to the concept would like it. Maybe they think she's fantastic. :unsure: