• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pool B - Australia, Canada, Fiji, Japan, Wales

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ugly it got.

Told Casson not to bet on Japan +62.5, glad i was proved correct. :cool:

Johnners

Had a bit of a chuckle at Matt Dunning partially selling a dummy there towards the end. A solid win first up though, i thought Gregan, Sharpe & Elsom were our standouts. Good to see Barnes get his debut over and done with in the first match, so if he is called upon later on against one of the stronger teams he's (hopefully) not overawed.

Edit: A big FFS at the scrums during this game though, was sooooooo frustrating. I honestly don't think there was 1 scrum that didn't get reset at least once.

Last edited:

Perm

Edit: A big FFS at the scrums during this game though, was sooooooo frustrating. I honestly don't think there was 1 scrum that didn't get reset at least once.
Better to take the time and get it sorted I reckon. Too much potential for disaster if you don't.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Thought Japan played really well in the first 30 minutes. I can't beleive they fell away that much. Barnes looks good, hopefully he never goes back to league.

Perm

Yeah i'd agree, but it doesn't make it any less frustrating.
Indeed, I think I find it less frustrating because I've played a fair bit in the front row and know how important the scrum is.

Johnners

The bit that probably frustrates me the most though is when in my eyes the scrum seems fine (i.e hasn't collapsed :p) and the ref stops it. It all stems from me not understanding all the rules i spose...

Perm

The bit that probably frustrates me the most though is when in my eyes the scrum seems fine (i.e hasn't collapsed :p) and the ref stops it. It all stems from me not understanding all the rules i spose...
Yeah, really ****s me when the ball is at the #8's feet and about to be passed out the backline and the ref blows his whistle because the front rows have collapsed. Some discretion needs to be applied in that situation.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Canada have had a good dart at it, but Wales' superior fitness has been telling. Thomas & Jones coming off the bench really turned the game tho.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Canada were all over Wales in the first half, but I always had a sneak feeling that they were just gonna run out of steam half way through the 2nd half, dislike the Welsh as much as anyone tbh, Canada made a good account for themselves.

Johnners

Awesome first half. Our defence has been outstanding, and the backline is really clicking well in attack. Barnes & Mortlock have been fantastic, and if Mortlock isn't the best centre in the world atm i'll eat my hat. Breaks the line soooo often, and is awesome in defence. Good to see he got back at Thomas for his cheap shot on Barnes.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Pretty weak refereeing from Walsh when Thomas hit Barnes off the ball; yes Oz had scored under the posts but it was late & Thomas made no attempt to use his arms. Yellow at least.

Wales score as I type; too little to alter the outcome one suspects. Hook adds the extras: 25-10.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Ha. The dullard compounds his error by not carding Latham for taking out Williams off the ball. Two wrongs now making a right, clearly.

Johnners

In my bias opinion, the Latham hit was nowhere near as bad as the Thomas one. A little nervous now, Wales have come out firing in the 2nd half, and our attack isn't clicking nearly as well as it was earlier. Clearly missing Mortlock.

EDIT: LATHAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh, and thanks Jones :D

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
In my bias opinion, the Latham hit was nowhere near as bad as the Thomas one. A little nervous now, Wales have come out firing in the 2nd half, and our attack isn't clicking nearly as well as it was earlier. Clearly missing Mortlock.
Well, that'll settle those nerves a tad then. Had to be the bloke who shouldn't be on the pitch too.

Jones, S made a horrible horlicks of the bomb. That's the ball game.

& Latham's hit wasn't as nasty, but it was more cynical. Both cards for me.

Johnners

Jones isn't Wales' first choice 5/8?

Just saw a stat, 13/3 handling errors is a partially worrying stat, if it were against the All Blacks or Springboks i dare say we would've been punished a lot more. Then again, i suspect we wouldn't have been as adventerous in attack.

Erk, as i type Mitchell gets a card, fair enough, the fact that he pulled out should be in his favour when he goes to the judiciary though.