• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England test squad to tour Sri Lanka

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Keedy. For sure. And before someone (most likely Richard :p) prances in here and tells me he's a "middling county bowler", take a look at his stats in the last 3 seasons. They make Monty look ordinary. How someone like Swann or Dalrymple could be ahead of him in the pecking order as a bowler is beyond me, unless they want the guy to bat #7.
Haha, wtf Swann >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dalrymple as a bowler imo, Swann has at least done something in first class cricket and is in very good form. Dalrymple is really a part timer and nothing more tbh

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Haha, wtf Swann >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dalrymple as a bowler imo, Swann has at least done something in first class cricket and is in very good form. Dalrymple is really a part timer and nothing more tbh
Where did I say otherwise? I simply mentioned two players who seemed to have jumped ahead of Keedy in the queue for no good reason. I never said Dalrymple was as good as Swann so your "wtf" was uncalled for.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
I however entirely agree with you about Keedy, he has been so unlucky and when you think the likes of Schofield, Batty and Dawson (to name a few) have played ahead of him has been nothing short of a travesty.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Where did I say otherwise? I simply mentioned two players who seemed to have jumped ahead of Keedy in the queue for no good reason. I never said Dalrymple was as good as Swann so your "wtf" was uncalled for.
"How someone like Swann or Dalrymple" seemed to me that you were bracketing them as bad as each other however the reality is different

imo

(Yes, the wtf was uncalled for)

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
"How someone like Swann or Dalrymple" seemed to me that you were bracketing them as bad as each other however the reality is different

imo

(Yes, the wtf was uncalled for)
I was bracketing them in the same group indeed - as players who had (IMO unfairly) leapfrogged Keedy in the pecking order. Not as players of exactly the same ability.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
A couple of years ago I'd have said Keedy had as close to no chance as makes no odds, but given we've seen Udal & Nixon called to the colours in successive winters I'm making no rash statements here.

I do still think it unlikely tho, principally because he's a non-batter, but also because he's an SLA like the Monster & if we are likely to start with two spinners variation is probably desireable as a preference.

Rashid is the obvious pick & I think his batting will sway things his way. Assuming Fred stays fit it'll mean a 6-7-8 of Flintoff-keeper-Rashid if we go down the five bowler route. I can't see us going into any test with Fred as one of four bowlers if two are spinners, so if we play the extra batsman I think it'll mean Vaughan/KP as the spinning alternate.

The second keeper is the other big dilemma (assuming we're stuck with Prior), I personally think Ambrose might just get the nod as I see no merit in going back to Read now.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Lol that was a tad random, although I agree that Swann is a lot better bowler and a fair better batter than Dalrymple.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Can't believe everyone thinks so highly of Swann here. I agree with Rob here, Keedy is by far miles ahead of anyone else after Panesar and Rashid.

I have to say that as much as I like Rashid and think he is going to be a big matchwinner in the future for us if he continues to develop, I'm concerned about the amount of runs he sheds. If someone experienced that Sangakkara or Jayawardene gets after him properly, it could be carnage and destroy his confidence. Not that I like the safely, safely approach, just I think he might be a liability at times.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Never rated Keedy in the slightest TBH (might remind you that Batty's record when selected was pretty decent). I've never understood for the life of me how he gets the figures he has for the last 3 years (and the 2005 batch isn't what it seems I might add - check the figures sans-UCCE matches).

Nonetheless, poor spinner with poor figures < poor spinner with good figures. Just a real shame Giles has had to retire as it means we'll never get to see him and MSP bowling together in a Test, something I'd always thought I'd love to see, especially if it was in Galle or somewhere (if the place has recovered yet?) No way should any other spinners be picked ahead of him this winter, I don't care in the slightest what arm someone bowls with, there's plenty of evidence that left-arm fingerspinners are simply more effective than right-armers for the most part in any case. Swann would probably be my third-choice but he's never completely convinced me despite plenty of undoubted ability.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Never rated Keedy in the slightest TBH (might remind you that Batty's record when selected was pretty decent). I've never understood for the life of me how he gets the figures he has for the last 3 years (and the 2005 batch isn't what it seems I might add - check the figures sans-UCCE matches).
Why?. Have you watched him bowl alot?. Certainly gives the ball air allright which is definitely a good thing imo.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Giving it air is all well and good but unless you turn it all that'll achieve is likely getting you spanked.

Yes, I've seen Keedy bowl plenty, and he's OK, sure, but he's nothing more than a fingerspinner. And Old Trafford isn't generally a spin-friendly ground, that's the great mystery. If he played at Wantage Road Northampton like Jason Brown, Michael Davies, etc. then it'd be less odd.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Still the best of a poor bunch tbh, you might argue he doesn't turn it enough but for the past three seasons he has been the country's best spinner and deserves a crack.

Lostman

State Captain
One of the tests is going to be in Galle i cant wait for that, i loved that place, especially from the fort:)

I think England should bring in a new wicket keeper, if Priors keeping standards doesn't improve I can see SL being gifted a boat load of extras on those uneven and spin friendly wickets.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Depends on what the ground conditions are like, if it's green and damp then probably Sidebottom or Anderson, if it's flat and dry, then Tremlett no doubt.
What about the reverse swing factor?, out of the 3 Anderson is the best exponent even if he may not have mastered or even have a consistent control of the act as yet.

adharcric

International Coach
A few questions for the England supporters ...

1) Will Prior get another chance with the gloves in Sri Lanka?
2) How far is Trescothick from a return to the test side? Strauss must go.

Cook and Vaughan should open right now IMO. Bell, Pietersen and Collingwood in the middle.

Last edited:

The Baconator

International Vice-Captain
I'm guessing Prior will be having the gloves for the tour, the backup will be an interesting matter though.
IIRC Tresco's ruled himself out of this year's tour, so we'll probably be seeing Strauss at the top of the order for a while yet.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
A few questions for the England supporters ...

1) Will Prior get another chance with the gloves in Sri Lanka?
Almost certainly.
2) How far is Trescothick from a return to the test side? Strauss must go.
I'm beginning to think never. Strauss to stay for the time being I reckon.
Cook and Vaughan should open right now IMO.
NO, just no. Vaughan should never again open in Test cricket IMO. Finally, at the age of 32, he seems to be getting settled on that middle-order role he should have had 6 years ago. Last thing neccessary now is yet more disruption.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah, Cook and Strauss to open with Vaughan, Pietersen, Bell, Flintoff, keeper

not too sure with going into a test match with four bowlers with Flintoff as one however...

Last edited: