• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

State of Origin 1

Game 1 Winner:

• Total voters

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Buderus is up there with one of the worst players to ever play Origin football. He does nothing for the NSW side. He might be a good defender, but you need to be so much more than that as a hooker in the modern game. Particularly at Origin level. He has no kicking game whatsover, and all he does from dummy half is pass. Doesn't even ask questions of defenders. Don't know why people rate this guy.

The reason he was first selected for NSW was because of his connection with Johns, who used to make Buderus look like a genius, but all he really did was pass it to Johns. This after Priddis had a great time of it the season before. Now that Johns isn't playing Buderus is being shown for the player he really is. A crap one.

readie

State Regular
I reckon O'Meley wouldn't be the worst selection either for White.[/QUOTE]

forgot about him, he should be there. I'm sorry mate but I don't see what Kite did to keep his spot or even get it in the first place

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
KIte has played brilliantly for Australia in the past and he's been one of the form props in the NRL this year for Manly. I'm not a fan but he deserve his chance in Origin - he had a shocker though. I'd be surprised if he didn't play Game 2.

White's selection, on the other hand, was based on one good game against the Dragons in 2005, a good CVC appearance and a decent game just before Origin. He's not up to it - must go.

O'Meley has been injured. Has no-one even noticed that?

Last edited:

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Kyle, i know you've had a thing for Priddis for years but saying those things about Bedsy is just stupid, he's been a great player for years and really he's been one of the best players on the field 75% of the time for every team he's played for...

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
forgot about him, he should be there. I'm sorry mate but I don't see what Kite did to keep his spot or even get it in the first place
Have you watched a game in last season Tri Nations or a Manly game this season. Kite been the best front rower in the comp this season. He does need to step up in State of Orgin though, his never had a standout game yet.

Simon

howcome every teams fans think that their prop has been the best front rower in the comp this year, Price, Kite, Civoniceva, White, Bailey etc...

readie

State Regular
KIte has played brilliantly for Australia in the past and he's been one of the form props in the NRL this year for Manly. I'm not a fan but he deserve his chance in Origin - he had a shocker though. I'd be surprised if he didn't play Game 2.

White's selection, on the other hand, was based on one good game against the Dragons in 2005, a good CVC appearance and a decent game just before Origin. He's not up to it - must go.

O'Meley has been injured. Has no-one even noticed that?
He's playing this weekend

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
howcome every teams fans think that their prop has been the best front rower in the comp this year, Price, Kite, Civoniceva, White, Bailey etc...
I think Price has been TBH - but that doesn't change the fact that all those guys have been going great guns this season. People are going to notice their own players more, so as soon as they play well we'll hear "form X of the season."

Actually, on second though, Todd Payten... :ph34r:

Burgey

Does anyone know why the hell Murray consistently rests Hindmarsh for long periods in Origin? He did it last year, and it coincided with a Qld resurgence in the forwards. Same thing seemed to occur Wednesday. He doesn't miss tackles and just keeps going. Seems odd that he would do it when he could save up 2 interchanges for his less mobile forwards.

Potential NSW side for game 2:

Minichello (fantastic game 1)
Hayne (gotta stick with him imo, depsite the howler)
Cooper (solid enough and good defensively)
Tahu (proven record, breaks the line more than Lyon, who was dodgy defensively down the same side as King, and hasn't made a line break since returening to the NRL this year)
King - defensive errors game 1, but has a good record in Origin generally
Gower - don't think Anasta did enough, can kick goals iirc, and if Gower plays 5/8 he might take some pressure off....
Mullen - gotta stick with the kid now he's been given the chance
Gallen - great form, great motor
Mason - assuming he's fit
Hindmarsh - see comments earlier
O'Meley - wrecking ball - made for Origin
Buderus - enough said, despite Mr Wright's earlier comment
White - went ok without dominating in game 1

Reserves:
Kite - in the last chance saloon as far as I'm concerned. Suddently not as effective now they've told him to stop lifting his knees every time he runs the ball up
Bailey - still a fine prop
Farrah - most in-form dummy half in the comp.
Bird - can cover back row, 5/8 and centre at a pinch. Really mobile and in awesome form.

More mongrel in that pack imo, Farrah adds creativity and is in awesome form.

What do you blokes reckon? I know Gower is a risk as he hasn't been playing that well, but he and Mullen could interchange a bit, as both have played half and 5/8. He's also pretty tough in defence. Tahu is just coming back fro minjury this week but has never really done much wrong at Origin level, and he's big & fast enough to handle the Qld centres.

Edit: Actually, Ryan for Kite or Bailey - hate to leave Ryan out, had a pretty good game the other night and when he comes on Mason can move to prop.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Burgey said:
Does anyone know why the hell Murray consistently rests Hindmarsh for long periods in Origin? He did it last year, and it coincided with a Qld resurgence in the forwards. Same thing seemed to occur Wednesday. He doesn't miss tackles and just keeps going. Seems odd that he would do it when he could save up 2 interchanges for his less mobile forwards.
Murray actually isn't doing the interchange this year - Royce Simmons is doing it. Much has been said about the Hindmarsh-resting, but personally, I like it. Firstly, Origin is played at a much higher pace than club football and hence players can't play for the same lengthy periods. But even ignoring that, just compare Hindmarsh's performance in that first 25 and then even in the second half when he was on to his performances for Parra generally and his performances in Origin previously. When he knows he's playing 80, he often holds himself back in attack and becomes content in being the guy who makes 50 tackles. If we wanted someone to do that, we'd just pick Alan Tongue - but Hindmarsh is actually much more valuable. Parra must have him on the field for the 80 as the rest of the forwards are so much worse than him, but at Origin level you have a host of good forwards on the bench so you can afford to rest him. When he knows he's going to be rested, he's in everything - attack and defence. Runs closer in, supports well and still tackles like a maniac. Hindmarsh probably could play for 80, but there's no need for him to do so, and he plays so much better when he only plays 60 odd minutes.

Burgey said:
Gower - don't think Anasta did enough, can kick goals iirc, and if Gower plays 5/8 he might take some pressure off....
Firstly, he can't kick goals. Aside from that though, he's been tried at five-eighth before at various levels and failed miserably - he's not cut out for the position really. Picking Gower at halfback and Mullen at five-eighth (where he played ALL his junior football) would be an option, but I don't see it happening given Gower's dire form this year and the fact that he's under an injury cloud.

Burgey

Yeah, it's a huge problem area. When I was going through the proposed side I had to scratch my head to come up with an alternative combination.

What's Laurie Daley doing in two or three weeks time? :ph34r:

Sw1fty

School Boy/Girl Captain
I was puzzled at the decion to give Thurston man of the match when Price should have been chosen. Anyhow, fantastic victory by Queensland and bring on Game 2!!

GO QUEENSLAND!!!

Simon

how could Monaghan be picked at half for his state when he isnt even first choice for his club side, i really think nsw probably wont make too many changes because the team for game 1 was pretty much their strongest team. No point putting in poorer players just because better ones didnt have such a good game...

Craig

World Traveller
how could Monaghan be picked at half for his state when he isnt even first choice for his club side, i really think nsw probably wont make too many changes because the team for game 1 was pretty much their strongest team. No point putting in poorer players just because better ones didnt have such a good game...
Also the fact that Monaghan is going to Warrington count against him?