• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Minnows - Do we need them, do they improve with us?

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Personally I think Ireland got a fair bit out of their win today against Panic-stan (the more things change, the more they stay the same). And Bangladesh might consider their easy win over India to be more than a bit gratifying.

Man, Ireland beating Pakistan. Still can't believe it.

pakster

U19 12th Man
Whats the cricket structure like in Ireland? Any chance they can step up (more so) in the next 5-10 years?

LA ICE-E

State Captain
this is the reason that days like this was special to prove threads like this wrong...minnows deserve to be here...they qualified to be here....and so how you gonna say they shouldn't be here...bd sucked in 99 now look at them...they have a good stracture with talented youngsters in the under 19's 16's etc in stock...i hope to see the same progress happen with ireland and the other top 4 associates(bermuda needs to go back and get better, while canada needs to grow home bred players 1st)...

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
this is the reason that days like this was special to prove threads like this wrong...
And for every day like today, there are a thousand the opposite.

It's easy to bask in the sunshine while the sunshine's out.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
umm whatever...like i said before and will say again its point less to talk to people like you....for bangladesh it wasn't a miracle and so i dont think we'll see thousands of opposites...without the minnows being at the wc bd wouldn't have beaten pakistan in 99 and wouldn't have got the chance to get better to this stage...it takes time and a lot of thrashing before a nation develops into a good cricketing country...so how would that happen without having them here? And for god sakes its the WORLD CUP...you get the meaning of the word WORLD? you have to let the countries play at the world cup...IF you just want to watch the top 8 then go watch the champions trophy and stop ****ing whining

Mr Mxyzptlk

That makes it all the more special IMO.
Especially when a team plays as well as Ireland did today. They played out of their skin to beat a team that should have beaten them comfortably. 'Twas a superb performance, and I don't see any reason to respond to every positive comment about the win with a heavy dose of cynicism. Ireland earned some praise today.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
umm whatever...like i said before and will say again its point less to talk to people like you....for bangladesh it wasn't a miracle and so i dont think we'll see thousands of opposites...without the minnows being at the wc bd wouldn't have beaten pakistan in 99 and wouldn't have got the chance to get better to this stage...it takes time and a lot of thrashing before a nation develops into a good cricketing country...so how would that happen without having them here? And for god sakes its the WORLD CUP...you get the meaning of the word WORLD? you have to let the countries play at the world cup...IF you just want to watch the top 8 then go watch the champions trophy and stop ****ing whining
If it's the WORLD Cup why not let everyone who wants to send a team send one? Just have 150 teams in the Cup, why don't we?

Oh, yeah... if Bangladesh hadn't beaten Pakistan things might have happened exactly the same, or they might have happened a hell of a lot better for everyone.

If things are done the right way repeated thrashings AREN'T neccessary and you simply don't understand the game if you think they are.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Especially when a team plays as well as Ireland did today. They played out of their skin to beat a team that should have beaten them comfortably. 'Twas a superb performance, and I don't see any reason to respond to every positive comment about the win with a heavy dose of cynicism. Ireland earned some praise today.
But will they earn it in their next 6 games?

Extremely unlikely.

_Ed_

Well said.

Mr Mxyzptlk

If it's the WORLD Cup why not let everyone who wants to send a team send one? Just have 150 teams in the Cup, why don't we?

Oh, yeah... if Bangladesh hadn't beaten Pakistan things might have happened exactly the same, or they might have happened a hell of a lot better for everyone.

If things are done the right way repeated thrashings AREN'T neccessary and you simply don't understand the game if you think they are.
Bangladesh, Kenya, Ireland, Holland are teams that have earned the right to play at the World Cup. This format allows for it. That Ireland and Bangladesh could advance to the second round is purely down to how well they have played. How can you criticize teams who have been given a chance to play against the best and have performed? The ICC is looking to expand cricket and make it global, and there are positive signs in them doing so. Ease up on the cynicism.

As was mentioned earlier, the World Cup is held every 4 years. For the most part minnow nations play each other - as in football - in the period in between the major tournaments. These regular thrashings aren't that regular.

LA ICE-E

State Captain

hmm listen ****ing guy....not all nations are icc members...then after that they do let all nations take part in the world cup...its called a qualifying process(world cricket league) from which the top will play in the finals of the world cup....so basically all 97 countries can play in the world cup...

no it wouldn't have without the exposure of test cricket bangladesh would have stayed the same..or little bit better like kenya but not a whole lot like now

thrashing isn't necessary (like in the case of ireland they didn't get thrashed yet) but it happens in every sport...even to the best of teams...but guess what people learn from their mistakes and in cricket in takes time to fix most of the mistakes....

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Bangladesh, Kenya, Ireland, Holland are teams that have earned the right to play at the World Cup. This format allows for it. That Ireland and Bangladesh could advance to the second round is purely down to how well they have played. How can you criticize teams who have been given a chance to play against the best and have performed? The ICC is looking to expand cricket and make it global, and there are positive signs in them doing so. Ease up on the cynicism.

As was mentioned earlier, the World Cup is held every 4 years. For the most part minnow nations play each other - as in football - in the period in between the major tournaments. These regular thrashings aren't that regular.
As I've said, I've no problem with some substandard sides in the Cup (I do have a problem with such games being given ODI status, but that's a different story), but it does annoy me when you get results like these - not because the teams haven't played well on that occasion, but because it skews the tournament off its axis.

As I've said many times, though - you're clutching at straws if you think adding Ireland is making the game more Global. If Ireland and Scotland are the best you can do, it just shows how futile the Global attempts are.

Mr Mxyzptlk

But will they earn it in their next 6 games?

Extremely unlikely.
Who cares? They earned it today. What Ireland does in the future has absolutely nothing to do with what they achieved today (yesterday, technically). Stop pissing on the celebrations that they earned. Also, stop painting a picture of a team that will never improve or that cannot improve in the immediate future. No one is saying they will win the World Cup or should immediately be handed Test status.

Anyone who watched the game could say that it was not a fluke performance. It was a deserved win. And regarding them (likely) advancing to the second round, they earned that too. They were placed in a group with Zimbabwe, Pakistan and West Indies. They've thus far clawed back to split points with Zimbabwe and then beaten Pakistan. There was no D/L involved. There was no washout involved. There was no refusal to play involved. Two complete games and 3 fully earned points.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
hmm listen ****ing guy....
Cut that out, if I were you, or you'll not be around much longer.
not all nations are icc members...then after that they do let all nations take part in the world cup...its called a qualifying process(world cricket league) from which the top will play in the finals of the world cup....so basically all 97 countries can play in the world cup...
As I've said - there's no point in such qualifying if it doesn't qualify - the main point of the World Cup is to have the top 8 teams - anything else is just preliminary. It's a question of where the line is drawn.
no it wouldn't have without the exposure of test cricket bangladesh would have stayed the same..or little bit better like kenya but not a whole lot like now
No, not neccessarily. We can't know what would have happened, you can simply speculate. Bangladesh might quite possibly be in a better position had Pakistan not gifted up that game.
thrashing isn't necessary (like in the case of ireland they didn't get thrashed yet) but it happens in every sport...even to the best of teams...but guess what people learn from their mistakes and in cricket in takes time to fix most of the mistakes....
No, they don't. Learning is not hard - it's not simply about making mistakes, it's about possessing skill. No amount of playing can manufacture that skill - and until that skill is there, you're going to gain nothing whatsoever from playing the best.

Ireland have been constantly thrashed, incidentally - last year's C&G.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Who cares? They earned it today. What Ireland does in the future has absolutely nothing to do with what they achieved today (yesterday, technically). Stop pissing on the celebrations that they earned. Also, stop painting a picture of a team that will never improve or that cannot improve in the immediate future. No one is saying they will win the World Cup or should immediately be handed Test status.

Anyone who watched the game could say that it was not a fluke performance. It was a deserved win. And regarding them (likely) advancing to the second round, they earned that too. They were placed in a group with Zimbabwe, Pakistan and West Indies. They've thus far clawed back to split points with Zimbabwe and then beaten Pakistan. There was no D/L involved. There was no washout involved. There was no refusal to play involved. Two complete games and 3 fully earned points.
WTF? Short-term vision will never pay dividends.

As for will never improve, cannot improve in the immidiate future - Ireland is, in real terms, part of the team mistakenly dubbed "England". That's like saying Yorkshire can eventually improve to be a ODI\Test team.

Mr Mxyzptlk

As I've said, I've no problem with some substandard sides in the Cup (I do have a problem with such games being given ODI status, but that's a different story), but it does annoy me when you get results like these - not because the teams haven't played well on that occasion, but because it skews the tournament off its axis.

As I've said many times, though - you're clutching at straws if you think adding Ireland is making the game more Global. If Ireland and Scotland are the best you can do, it just shows how futile the Global attempts are.
Are Ireland and Scotland not countries though? They deserve the right to compete as much as any other country. Geographical location has little to do with that right. And you're very shortsighted if you think that Ireland, Scotland etc. are the extent of the push for a global sport. Many other countries are trying to develop the sport to an international level. They just aren't as advanced in the process as Ireland and Scotland.

Regarding ODI status, these teams have fought to qualify for the World Cup and play against the best. Saying that they don't deserve ODI status for such rights earned is like saying Trinidad and Tobago didn't deserve international status in playing at the FIFA World Cup.

Mr Mxyzptlk

WTF? Short-term vision will never pay dividends.
How is it short-term vision to celebrate a victory? There is no vision involved here in celebrating a victory. Reflection, yes. Hope for the future, yes. That said, you have to start somewhere. Hopefully you don't carry this attitude into everyday life, otherwise you must be such a depressing person.

PS - Stop confusing vision with cynicism.