• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CA bans the Mexican wave

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Trust the Americans to be slow on the uptake. ;)

Or at least to show The World how to do something without the yobbish element...

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Nfi how they're going to enforce it but I have no problems with it tbh. I hate getting beer and food in my hair
You waste beer and food in Australia? :-O Disgraceful. You're supposed to drink up first, then conveniently throw the empty cup away.

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
No, No, No. Thats ridiculous. At least Australia will know what its like in the emirates stadium :)

PhoenixFire

International Coach
They shoudl organise it so every single person in the ground does it, they can't possibly eject everyone.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Some of you have obviously not experienced sitting in the stands wanting to watch the cricket going on with a tense ODI chase occurring, yet at the same time wanting to not have a 2 litre bottle full of water fall on your head. The paranoia when the wave comes around at night time (anything past 8-9 pm) is beyond belief.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
I can't really comment on Australian ODI crowds, but here in NZ I've never experienced anything like what some of you guys are describing. Sure, bits of paper and so on get thrown in the air but I guess kiwis value their beer and pie more than Australians...

A sensible alcohol policy would probably work better. The embankment at the Basin Reserve used to be a booze-soaked nightmare, but since the authorities brought in tighter controls on the sale of alcohol, that problem's basically gone away.

Can't really see how this ban is going to help, As some have said, you can't throw the whole crowd out. Stupid solution, IMO. A bit like how they rope off the first few rows of seating in all our grounds these days to stop people throwing stuff at the players, as if some random can't throw a few extra metres. I once saw a bloke throw an orange from near the back of the Caketin and it landed on the pitch.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I fuggin' hate Mexican waves. I don't want to sound too much of the old fart, but personally I go to any ground to watch the sport, which usually isn't cheap. Stand up in your own time, morons.

Bring back terraces, IMHO. Can't stand a wave when everyone's already standing.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
I think that 16TOS may have made a good point, it's like telling people to not fall over, instead of to tie up their shoelaces, or to ban liver cancer, instead of telling people not to drink.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
To be honest, I've always found CA to be a complete joke, hypocrits and James Sutherland to be a complete tool.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Seems a sensible move when you look at what people are saying in the thread. However, most seem to be relating to experiences in Australia, whereas over here you don't get urine or beer (why would anyone throw their beer away? I guess it's that cheap Australian rubbish) thrown in the air. When I went to see England v Sri Lanka at Old Trafford in 2002, the Manchester Evening News were giving out free copies before play, most of which ended up in little pieces. It was fun at the time, I did pity the groundsmen and the rubbish-clearers though.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
It's actually quite a spectacle from the other side of the ground to watch all the rubbish to get thrown everywhere. But it sucks when you're in amongst it.

Cricket Australia is an over-officious body, but they see themselves as having a huge responsibility to families. They simply aim to make cricket the most played sport in the country, and will do anything (including bans on activities such as this) to achieve that goal.

Also, RE: Cricket Australia. It's been oft-remarked that the best coach in Australia is the one who'll be doing the appointing.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Seems a sensible move when you look at what people are saying in the thread. However, most seem to be relating to experiences in Australia, whereas over here you don't get urine or beer (why would anyone throw their beer away? I guess it's that cheap Australian rubbish) thrown in the air. When I went to see England v Sri Lanka at Old Trafford in 2002, the Manchester Evening News were giving out free copies before play, most of which ended up in little pieces. It was fun at the time, I did pity the groundsmen and the rubbish-clearers though.
And that's before you think about the 9\10ths of the stuff that doesn't get picked-up and just blows into the city...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's actually quite a spectacle from the other side of the ground to watch all the rubbish to get thrown everywhere. But it sucks when you're in amongst it.
And when you're the one who has to deal with the consequences.
Cricket Australia is an over-officious body, but they see themselves as having a huge responsibility to families. They simply aim to make cricket the most played sport in the country, and will do anything (including bans on activities such as this) to achieve that goal.
Well... there are worse goals, no?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I fuggin' hate Mexican waves. I don't want to sound too much of the old fart, but personally I go to any ground to watch the sport, which usually isn't cheap. Stand up in your own time, morons.
The fact that the youth of Australia is expressing the exact same emotions should tell you summat there...
Bring back terraces, IMHO. Can't stand a wave when everyone's already standing.
Can start a riot, though.

Seriously, my Mum, Dad and Uncle (well he's not actually my Unc but he is, y'know?) were at Hillsborough. Terraces being banned happened around 30 years too late.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Can start a riot, though.

Seriously, my Mum, Dad and Uncle (well he's not actually my Unc but he is, y'know?) were at Hillsborough. Terraces being banned happened around 30 years too late.
I don't want to derail the thread too much, but Hillsborough was a result of a Tory government whose policy was to heard football fans into cages like cattle. Had the cages not been there the death toll (despite gross police negligence) would've been a tiny fraction of what it was in reality.