• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in South Africa

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
IMO we need to know with Kaif and Yuvraj one way or another. Each should be given an extended run to see if they can manage, if not they're out. Being in and out helps neither of them.

IMO neither of them are test class but as mentioned earlier, Kaif has been hard done by a couple of times.

shankar

International Debutant
Be an amazing victory if South Africa can actually chase down this total, I still fancy them at the moment but captain Smith and Kallis are the key. If they can both make half centuries then they are as good as home. Be easily South Africa’s greatest victory under Smith, considering this might be Cape Town but only in name and effectively they would have beat India at their own game.
So far the pitch hasnt really suited Indian bowlers more than SA. As far as seamers are concerned, India doesn't have anyone of the quality of Pollock with experience of bowling on flat tracks. WRT Kumble, in the first innings at least the wicket had slow turn with pretty even bounce which really isnt all that suitable for him.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
[Boy India really screwed up with the bat........if they lose, they'll know who to blame.

Tendulkar is finished imo.....he should do himself and India a favour by quitting after the world cup. It's just painful watching him bat and IMO, he is letting his team down bigtime.

India reallly need some fresh blood in their batting imo......guys who don't go into a shell when the bowling starts to get tight....
Dinesh Karthik embarrased people like Tendulkar, Laxman and Dravid yesterday.....he showed what had to be done on that pitch.

Problem is this negativity that has creeped into the Indian batting is not arecent one....I saw it at Bangalore 2005, Mumbai and Karachi 2006.

But the Indian selectors are too afraid to drop their ';stars' ??
I'm amazed that Kaif was left out of the team......he may not be a hugely talented player, but he's got a positive attitude and can actually score runs under pressure witness his 91 at Nagpur v England (which saved India the game) and his back to the wall half centuries v a strong Aussie attack in 2004/2005. His last 5 tests he averages 63......certainly deserved more of a chance IMO.

Plus he's got time on his side, he can improve....what improvement is there in the likes of Tendulkar, Laxman and Ganguly ?
As for Ganguly, yes he batted fairly well but he still should have done more and really I don't see the point in persisting with him after this series because test criocket has never really been his forte anyway.
Laxman too has been very patchy since Australia 2004 and India really needed a lot more from their vice captain.
As for Sehwag, it's almost predicatable he'll hit a 4 and get out.

Personally, I think India will find themselves 50 runs short and they will kick themselves for their inept batting display which has cost them a series win in RSA.

R_D

International Debutant
I am like praying to God atm non-stop, guys seriously God is the only one who can help us I suggest you guys start praying too. Pick anyone, we have large variety to choose from.
hahaha:laugh: :laugh:
I really like the large variety part.

R_D

International Debutant
Dissappointed about the performance.
Couldn't beleive how badly Sachin played, he played with no intention even tho Harris was bowling a negative line. HE still should've been able to do better. karthick did well and showed Sachin, Dravid how to bat.... you play with postitive intent and Harris wouldn't stick to his leg stump lineup.
Laxman and Zaheer... no excuse, that was pathetic display of running between the wickets. You can see why Laxman's not wanted in ODI team with running like that.
Gangully.. good innings but once again just when it looks like your going to score big.. you throw it away.
Sehwag.. byebye..you shouldn't be anywhere near the team.
Sorry SS but much as you enjoy your i told you say posts... i don't think many people here appreciate it. Somtimes i wonder if you get a thrill out of actually seeing india collapse again and going i knew it :p

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
[Boy India really screwed up with the bat........if they lose, they'll know who to blame.

Tendulkar is finished imo.....he should do himself and India a favour by quitting after the world cup. It's just painful watching him bat and IMO, he is letting his team down bigtime.
Yes, he really made the situation very difficult for India today, but he looked pretty good in the first Test got to 63 and 64 in his last 4 innings. He's the third highest scorer for either side for the series. It's not been very Tendulkar-worthy, even given poor umpiring, but it's not been a failure of a series either.
As for Ganguly, yes he batted fairly well but he still should have done more and really I don't see the point in persisting with him after this series because test criocket has never really been his forte anyway.
Ganguly has probably been India's best batsman in the series though. His half-century in the first innings of this Test was crucial, especially given the present state of the match. And he's been positive pretty much throughout the series. I don't think he's done too much wrong in what hasn't been a terribly highscoring series. Only Ashwell Prince from either side has averaged more than he has.

And regarding Test cricket never really being his forte, I ask you, "what?!"
He scored 131 and 136 in his first two Test innings and averaged over 50 in Tests through his first 53 innings. It was only after his 67th Test innings that his average first dropped below 45. He may not be the batsman he once was, but it's a stupid suggestion that he was never much of a Test batsman.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Yes, he really made the situation very difficult for India today, but he looked pretty good in the first Test got to 63 and 64 in his last 4 innings. He's the third highest scorer for either side for the series. It's not been very Tendulkar-worthy, even given poor umpiring, but it's not been a failure of a series either.

Ganguly has probably been India's best batsman in the series though. His half-century in the first innings of this Test was crucial, especially given the present state of the match. And he's been positive pretty much throughout the series. I don't think he's done too much wrong in what hasn't been a terribly highscoring series. Only Ashwell Prince from either side has averaged more than he has.

And regarding Test cricket never really being his forte, I ask you, "what?!"
He scored 131 and 136 in his first two Test innings and averaged over 50 in Tests through his first 53 innings. It was only after his 67th Test innings that his average first dropped below 45. He may not be the batsman he once was, but it's a stupid suggestion that he was never much of a Test batsman.
There is no doubt Ganguly is much more effective in ODi's than in tests. He isn't a poor test batsman (but I never said that).......but he hasn't really done all that well against the stronger attacks --- he avreages 32 against Aus, 28 v Pak and 28 v RSA.

His runs against England on debut came when England were tosh ........its also worth noting that in this series, he looked best when the bounce was not as high (in Cape Town) ....in Durban he looked clueless.....and JoBurg (ok he did well in one innings) but flopped in the other.

He really isn't that good a test batsman.

As for Tendulkar, it isn't the first time he's batted like that....he's finished.....India are better off without him.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Dude Tendulkar is not finished, he was clearly unfit. Plus he hasn't been that bad with the bat this series. And the way Tendulkar batted out there even with a sore back, shows something. You could tell he was in pain. And overall throughout the series he has been pretty good, so I don't know what you're on about.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Dude Tendulkar is not finished, he was clearly unfit. Plus he hasn't been that bad with the bat this series. And the way Tendulkar batted out there even with a sore back, shows something. You could tell he was in pain. And overall throughout the series he has been pretty good, so I don't know what you're on about.

I just can't understand this Indian attaitude.....Tendulkar has not been performing for some time now. He is patchy at best and clueless at worst these days.
Admit it, He's in the worst form of his life and I think it's time to go and let a younger player have his turn.

Mr Mxyzptlk

There is no doubt Ganguly is much more effective in ODi's than in tests. He isn't a poor test batsman (but I never said that).......but he hasn't really done all that well against the stronger attacks --- he avreages 32 against Aus, 28 v Pak and 28 v RSA.
Stats against Pakistan are slightly skewed, if you account for the extended period of time when he was basically rubbish in all forms of cricket toward the end of his captaincy stint. He has just 119 runs his last 7 innings against Pakistan. Before that his average still wasn't anything spectacular, but it stood in the high 30s. That doesn't influence the argument though. Just interesting to note.
He really isn't that good a test batsman.
Fair enough that he was always a better ODI cricketer than Test cricket, but he was a good Test batsman too for most of his career. Above average at least. No one's calling him a great Test batsman or anything of the sort. But his average has been above 40 for his entire career, so I would certainly call him good at least.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
I just can't understand this Indian attaitude.....Tendulkar has not been performing for some time now. He is patchy at best and clueless at worst these days.
Admit it, He's in the worst form of his life and I think it's time to go and let a younger player have his turn.
Didn't he perform in this series? Just because we're on the backfoot, doesn't mean lay blame on one guy. He was terribly out of form last year agreed, but to me he has looked pretty promising in this series apart from today's innings where, once again, he was unfit.

If you expect him to be demolishing attacks with his aggressive batting, face it, it ain't gonna' happen. He is well past his prime and now plays a different role in the team, as you might already have witnessed.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Granted, he's not fit, but he also hasn't done much for a long time.

In the 15 Tests before this one:

23 innings and only 5 trips past 50, with one hundred among them.
33.95 average and more than 50% (12 of 23) of his completed innings have been sub-30.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Didn't he perform in this series? Just because we're on the backfoot, doesn't mean lay blame on one guy. He was terribly out of form last year agreed, but to me he has looked pretty promising in this series apart from today's innings where, once again, he was unfit.

If you expect him to be demolishing attacks with his aggressive batting, face it, it ain't gonna' happen. He is well past his prime and now plays a different role in the team, as you might already have witnessed.
Why is he playing for India if he's desperately unfit? Can't India find someone fit to average more than 33?

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Why is he playing for India if he's desperately unfit? Can't India find someone fit to average more than 33?
No wasn't he fit before the start of this match. He looked fine in the first inning. He went off the field yesterday, and since then he has looked in pain.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
No wasn't he fit before the start of this match. He looked fine in the first inning. He went off the field yesterday, and since then he has looked in pain.
Yes, he was hurt today. But he has been doing badly for a while now. He needs to pick up his game next series, or he should be gone. He has been the greatest batsman in history of Indian cricket, but sport is ruthless and unless he can show he deserves to be there on merit - and not reputation - it is time to look somewhere else.

If he is not finished, he needs to show that by his performances - and soon. In ODI's he has the world cup to show it, but in Tests, if he cannot perform in England in six months, the Tendulkar chapter needs to be closed. And Turd, you have no idea how much it pains me to say that, and look back at my post history and my continuous spirited defense of him soon after I joined, if you don't believe me.

Last edited:

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes, he was hurt today. But he has been doing badly for a while now. He needs to pick up his game next series, or he should be gone. He has been the greatest batsman in history of Indian cricket, but sport is ruthless and unless he can show he deserves to be there on merit - and not reputation - it is time to look somewhere else.

If he is not finished, he needs to show that by his performances - and soon. In ODI's he has the world cup to show it, but in Tests, if he cannot perform in England in six months, the Tendulkar chapter needs to be closed. And Turd, you have no idea how much it pains me to say that, and look back at my post history and my continuous spirited defense of him soon after I joined, if you don't believe me.
TBH, I agree that yes he should be dropped if he continues his bad form. But what I am saying is he has looked pretty good this series, except today, and this might just be a sign of things to come. If he remains injury free, he, chances are will continue to do good, and I can say this by looking at how he has played this series.

However, yes without a doubt, we should drop him if he doesn't continue to play well. But his performance in this series, imo, has earned him some more time to prove his worth. But to expect him to go out there and play like he has for the majority of his career is absurd. He has a different role to play now, one similar to Dravid's, and if he can fulfill his role in the series to come he shouldn't be dropped.

And you've got to agree his timing has looked superb this series, apart from today.

Nishant

International 12th Man
I agree with both of u....he should be dropped if he does not perform well....but if we go by recent performances...Dravid should be dropped as well! That seems crazy, so i think we should give sachin a brk! Still, i agree that give him the 6 months in england. If he still does not perform, he should be dropped! But, i do see him retiring soon after the WC anyway!

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I agree with both of u....he should be dropped if he does not perform well....but if we go by recent performances...Dravid should be dropped as well! That seems crazy, so i think we should give sachin a brk! Still, i agree that give him the 6 months in england. If he still does not perform, he should be dropped! But, i do see him retiring soon after the WC anyway!
Tendulkar in last 10 matches averages 28, Dravid averages 50. Slight difference there.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah I don't know if I dig the Dravid being dropped idea, he has only failed this series, while he was superb in the West Indies. Dravid has performed in the past year on many occasions, but Tendulkar has been failing for a long time, and I mean long, apart from this series ofcourse.

Benny2k1

U19 12th Man
Just catching up on the India Vs SAF match as i been out all day, was sachins inns that bad? reading things like

"to many Indian supporters this will be the age-old tale of Sachin getting out when the chips are down "

And
http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/rsavind/content/current/story/275387.html

Whats wrong with him? he hasnt looked good for a long time, I dont think its age Lara is 37 and still murduring attacks around the world

Last 4 Test Series
Vs SAF (33.10)
Vs england (20.75)
Pak (21.00)
Sri Lanka (37.80)

Odis
South Africa (23.25)
Champ Trophy (24.66)
DFL Cup (74.00)
Pakistan(59.25)
South africa (9.00)

SAF (10.00)

I have never believed they hype about him being the best of this era because i do not believe he is but i still know he was very good, Would india dare to drop the "god"
the only record he has is close to being broken by Lara or Ponting.

Last edited: