• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Golf Thread

Molehill

International Captain
She is like the McIlroy of the LPGA…really long off the tee, elite ball striking skills, pretty good around the greens as well but streaky & overall average putter. Her tee to green game will put her in the mix most weeks and when her putter lights up, she usually wins…
I'd say that's Scheffler now. To be honest, he's not even a streaky putter, he's just a terrible one. I saw Rory complaining that his putting let him down this week, but he was 23rd out of the 70 who played, so was hardly shocking. Scotty on the other hand had his 2nd worst putting round ever on Saturday losing nearly 4.5 shots to the field when he shot a level par 70. That's astonishing really.

But Glover showed what can happen if you find a putter that works, always been an elite ball striker, but now putting to match it. Is he a late contender for the Ryder Cup?

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd say that's Scheffler now. To be honest, he's not even a streaky putter, he's just a terrible one. I saw Rory complaining that his putting let him down this week, but he was 23rd out of the 70 who played, so was hardly shocking. Scotty on the other hand had his 2nd worst putting round ever on Saturday losing nearly 4.5 shots to the field when he shot a level par 70. That's astonishing really.

But Glover showed what can happen if you find a putter that works, always been an elite ball striker, but now putting to match it. Is he a late contender for the Ryder Cup?
Yeah, Scheffler is this generation’s Scott

Amazing ball strikers who leave shots out there every round

Scheffler would be the world’s number 1 by so far that it’s not funny if he was a decent putter

Molehill

International Captain
Yeah, Scheffler is this generation’s Scott

Amazing ball strikers who leave shots out there every round

Scheffler would be the world’s number 1 by so far that it’s not funny if he was a decent putter
His ball striking this year has only been matched by one other player ever before, a certain TW in 2006 I believe (who could putt as well). He ought to have won 5 or 6 tournaments this year if he could only putt averagely. I don't think you can even compare him to Scott, his ball striking is next level.

social

His ball striking this year has only been matched by one other player ever before, a certain TW in 2006 I believe (who could putt as well). He ought to have won 5 or 6 tournaments this year if he could only putt averagely. I don't think you can even compare him to Scott, his ball striking is next level.
It’s so good

Imagine trying to coach kids trying to copy that swing :laugh:

Molehill

International Captain
It’s so good

Imagine trying to coach kids trying to copy that swing :laugh:
It's not so much the actual swing, it's what he does with his feet. To be fair, I often find that some of my best shots are actually when I lose a bit of balance in the follow through, it at least means I've got properly through the ball.

Son Of Coco

It's not so much the actual swing, it's what he does with his feet. To be fair, I often find that some of my best shots are actually when I lose a bit of balance in the follow through, it at least means I've got properly through the ball.
That foot movement is pretty weird. Swing looks alright otherwise. Just goes to show that you can swing it however you want when you have the almighty Jaysus on your side.

Molehill

International Captain
Yeah his putting stats will explain exactly why he didn't win more than twice...
A couple of interesting stats I saw. Hovland has gone from 170th on Tour to 20th in the last 3 months in strokes gained around the green. Everyone knew his chipping was the problem, it ain't anymore.

I also saw a breakdown of how prizemoney was shared out by the key strokes gained factors. The biggest winner was strokes gained approach, so the ability to flush your irons was key to success. Putting was one of the last - there's no point being a good putter if you can't get it to the green (as I know only too well in my own game!!).

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
I think Europe has a really strong team this time, they should win this edition convincingly. For the US I think picking Justin Thomas was a mistake but other than that, it's a decent team.

Molehill

International Captain
It's the team I'd have picked. Tough on Meronk, but Nikolai is going to be a star and has form in Rome. Quite ridiculous from Aberg, never played a Major and now in the Ryder Cup. Since he started on the PGA Tour 8 weeks ago, his tee to green stats are better than Rory's.

I really fancy Europe too. Quite a few out of form on the US side (Burns and Spieth) whilst the likes of Harman and Clark are not the kind of picks Johnson would've wanted to be forced into taking. The European core of McIlroy, Hovland, Rahm, Fleetwood, Hatton, Fitzpatrick looks so strong. And I think Straka could be a really good pick for the 4balls, he's a birdie machine.

WICFan

U19 Captain
It's the team I'd have picked. Tough on Meronk, but Nikolai is going to be a star and has form in Rome. Quite ridiculous from Aberg, never played a Major and now in the Ryder Cup. Since he started on the PGA Tour 8 weeks ago, his tee to green stats are better than Rory's.

I really fancy Europe too. Quite a few out of form on the US side (Burns and Spieth) whilst the likes of Harman and Clark are not the kind of picks Johnson would've wanted to be forced into taking. The European core of McIlroy, Hovland, Rahm, Fleetwood, Hatton, Fitzpatrick looks so strong. And I think Straka could be a really good pick for the 4balls, he's a birdie machine.
Meronk won at the Italian Open on the same course the Ryder Cup will be played on earlier this year.

I think the USA wins a close contest because they've most of their pairings already sorted whereas Europe are going to have to work on there team pairings.

Molehill

International Captain
Meronk won at the Italian Open on the same course the Ryder Cup will be played on earlier this year.

I think the USA wins a close contest because they've most of their pairings already sorted whereas Europe are going to have to work on there team pairings.
Meronk is more a victim of MacIntyre qualifying automatically. I think he'll be the weak link and I doubt we'll see him in more than one foursome before the singles. Bob has set his season out to qualify for this, fair play to him for achieving that, but I can't help thinking that he's not going to see much action. I'm not convinced Rose and Lowry will play that much either.

The one issue with the US is that Spieth/JT is clearly a pairing based on old form. I'd fancy whichever European team takes them on now. I'd imagine they maybe mixed up with Fowler and Koepka too. Schauffele/Cantlay is a guaranteed pick and they are very strong, Morikawa and Homa likely to join them in a Californian set. Which leaves probably Scheffler/Burns/Harman/Clark to make up the other pairings.

The US Team just does not seem to travel well. Even when they seem like they've got the better players (and I'm not even convinced they do here) they find ways to lose.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
None of the US players are in form, that's what I see as a big concern. Scheffler is no: 1 in the rankings and is a ball-striking savant but can't make a putt to save his life right now. Unless we take a big lead into Sunday singles and somehow hold on, I don't see a US win happening.

Molehill

International Captain
None of the US players are in form, that's what I see as a big concern. Scheffler is no: 1 in the rankings and is a ball-striking savant but can't make a putt to save his life right now. Unless we take a big lead into Sunday singles and somehow hold on, I don't see a US win happening.
I don't see the US Team having a lead going into the Singles. It was interesting to see the Walker Cup at the weekend, GB took a big lead after Day 1 but it was slowly dragged back and was comfortably overturned in the singles. The US generally do well in the Singles (bar Medinah) and if they were close going into those I could see them turning it around. Overall rankings would suggest they have the upper hand in those. Mind you, if you were to lead off with Rory v JT this time, you'd be surprised if that wasn't a comfortable European victory.

One other factor (and it may not be a bad thing) is the complete lack of competitive golf the US will play before it. Meanwhile, the Europeans will all be at Wentworth next week (and 3 are in Ireland this week).

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
I don't see the US Team having a lead going into the Singles. It was interesting to see the Walker Cup at the weekend, GB took a big lead after Day 1 but it was slowly dragged back and was comfortably overturned in the singles. The US generally do well in the Singles (bar Medinah) and if they were close going into those I could see them turning it around. Overall rankings would suggest they have the upper hand in those. Mind you, if you were to lead off with Rory v JT this time, you'd be surprised if that wasn't a comfortable European victory.

One other factor (and it may not be a bad thing) is the complete lack of competitive golf the US will play before it. Meanwhile, the Europeans will all be at Wentworth next week (and 3 are in Ireland this week).
Agreed, I am saying that's what they would need to win in Rome. I think Europe will be big favorites in the singles so we would need a big lead to hold you guys off on Sunday.

Molehill

International Captain
Agreed, I am saying that's what they would need to win in Rome. I think Europe will be big favorites in the singles so we would need a big lead to hold you guys off on Sunday.
I think that's where I disagree. I think the US can win the Singles. The likes of MacIntyre and Lowry (who is lucky to be selected to be honest) will be fodder even for the most out of form US players. I think Europe can put some ultra strong pairings out on the first 2 days that I see being really tough to beat. But I think they may need a healthy lead going into Sunday to avoid a turnaround.