• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Very much so. Absolutely escapes me, Federer's reasoning behind putting all his eggs in the Wimbledon/US Open basket. He had nothing to lose on clay FFS. Fewer threats as well, with Murray being terrible and Djokovic way below his best.

Just go out and swing freely as he did in the first 3 months and see where it takes him. I don't think it would be enough to beat an in-form Rafa at the French, but he'd have a chance to take it to 5 if he played with the same free mindset and executed properly, IMO.
He has missed most of the clay court season though..perhaps he's playing cautious as grass is his first love. An age thing maybe? Still ...disappointing not to see him there.
French Open and Wimbledon are too close for someone like him, I guess.
The French Open is a real slog. If Fed doesn't think he can win it it makes perfect sense to prepare for Wimbledon instead.
Probably. I just hope he hasn't underestimated his chances on clay.. because he's a pretty damn good clay court player.

All good points, but I just think he might have had a hit or two on clay and not felt right and decided to call it off. Could be much simpler than what most of us might assume.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Thiem is the real deal on clay. I watched him last week against Nadal in the Madrid Masters final and remember thinking that he was playing well enough to have beaten anyone else, including Rafa if he was below his best. I suspect this is what would have happened this week after all the matches Nadal played recently.

I can definitely see Thiem winning a few big titles on clay, perhaps even Roland Garros if Nadal ever declines on that surface...

Niall

International Coach
Thiem is the real deal on clay. I watched him last week against Nadal in the Madrid Masters final and remember thinking that he was playing well enough to have beaten anyone else, including Rafa if he was below his best. I suspect this is what would have happened this week after all the matches Nadal played recently.

I can definitely see Thiem winning a few big titles on clay, perhaps even Roland Garros if Nadal ever declines on that surface...
There is nobody who should be favourite to beat Thiem on clay atm that is not Rafa Nadal. The chap has been outstanding on the surface this and last year.

I have small money on Svitolina for The French, not trying to sound ****y, but getting excited about that bet.:D

vcs

Pretty impressive of Djokovic to dispatch Thiem so easily.. might be finding his best form again.

vcs

Great stuff. Hope Kyrgios and him finally start stepping up for the next generation. The "lost generation" comprising of Nishikori, Raonic, Dimitrov etc. were never good enough to challenge the big 4...

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I prefer Beaten Generation, to Lost Generation, I'm happy to be proven wrong by Zverev, hope Nk, Coric and Fritz, amongst others can make NEXtGen a thing.

which Gen do we put Jack Sock in?

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I genuinely think Sock could be an okay player, he's coming late but that's the way of things nowadays, at least he's improving. Thiem will be 24 in September and everyone seems to be putting him in nextgen.

Anyway speaking of beaten/lost everyone getting excited about Kei winning a tough 3-setter today. Yeah great, pretty much guarantees his fragile body won't make second week at RG.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
When the main tennis headline is the Australian Open not renaming a court currently named after Margaret Court despite her opposition to same *** marriage you know it's been a slow day.