• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nadal vs. Djokovic today.

The rivalry has been one-sided in recent years, but Rafa is in good form right now, and Djokovic isn't, so he needs to win this one to swing things back his way.

vogue

International Vice-Captain
Nadal takes first set quite easily. Djokovic starting to up his game towards the end of the set. Nadal playing well has to be said.

vcs

Djokovic breaks back and this is looking like a tasty contest now.

He's really the only one with a chance of beating Nadal on this surface.

vcs

And Rafa breaks right back.. some brilliant tennis there especially the passing shot.

vcs

Great win that for Rafa.. what a champion. Djokovic did play better in the 2nd set but Nadal too good on the day.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Another title for Rafa. It means he's now back in the top 4 with the French a week away. Everyone else seems to be misfiring and there's still no obvious young pretender. It's going to be interesting to see what Federer can do having missed most of the clay court season.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Sir Andrew is 30 today, Novak will be 30 next Monday. The big 4 are all over 30 and there's still sod all out there in terms of the next great champions.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Might have become a little spoiled, LT.
Is it really being spoiled expecting someone under 30 to be any good, Next-gen are appalling. Dimitrov, Raonic, Nishikori.

You don't rate Zverev?
He has potential, as do Coric, NK and a few others, but lets not anoint a kid who has won only 3 250s so far. and hasn't been past the third round of a slam. He's 2 tall anyway, gonna find movement hard if he carries on playing the best players, injuries bound to follow if he doesn't change his style too, we'll see though.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Maria Sharapova has done enough to at least guarantee entry into the Wimbledon Qualifying Tournament. If she reaches the Semi's in Rome she'll be ranked high enough to gain direct entry to the main draw. Still relying on a Wild Card to make the French.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
No wild card at the French for Maria. Not surprised. She then pulled out injured from the Italian Open so can't now get automatically into the Wimbledon draw.I think she could be driven out and possibly retire within a year.

vcs

Disappointing.
Very much so. Absolutely escapes me, Federer's reasoning behind putting all his eggs in the Wimbledon/US Open basket. He had nothing to lose on clay FFS. Fewer threats as well, with Murray being terrible and Djokovic way below his best.

Just go out and swing freely as he did in the first 3 months and see where it takes him. I don't think it would be enough to beat an in-form Rafa at the French, but he'd have a chance to take it to 5 if he played with the same free mindset and executed properly, IMO.

vogue

International Vice-Captain
Very much so. Absolutely escapes me, Federer's reasoning behind putting all his eggs in the Wimbledon/US Open basket. He had nothing to lose on clay FFS. Fewer threats as well, with Murray being terrible and Djokovic way below his best.

Just go out and swing freely as he did in the first 3 months and see where it takes him. I don't think it would be enough to beat an in-form Rafa at the French, but he'd have a chance to take it to 5 if he played with the same free mindset and executed properly, IMO.
He has missed most of the clay court season though..perhaps he's playing cautious as grass is his first love. An age thing maybe? Still ...disappointing not to see him there.

OverratedSanity

More likely to hurt his knee on clay.