• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well done Serena, hard to even think of any more superlatives.

On Garbine I've been quite frustrated with her in the past for resolutely staying on the base-line with her reach and volleying abilities, and decent movement, when she lost to Konta of all people it was pretty dire.

Yet the 4 week gap, between the French and Wimbledon has really worked for her and she was moving forward a lot more, getting the best from her serve.

Do think she will be back, and this tournament has done wonders, before I thought her major slam chance was the French, but now I reckon all of them are possibilities.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
A bit surprising that Venus has only two other Grand Slams aside from her five Wimbledons titles.
Jamie Murray loses the Doubles Final but will hopefully be ready for Davis Cup next week.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Well done Serena, hard to even think of any more superlatives.

On Garbine I've been quite frustrated with her in the past for resolutely staying on the base-line with her reach and volleying abilities, and decent movement, when she lost to Konta of all people it was pretty dire.

Yet the 4 week gap, between the French and Wimbledon has really worked for her and she was moving forward a lot more, getting the best from her serve.

Do think she will be back, and this tournament has done wonders, before I thought her major slam chance was the French, but now I reckon all of them are possibilities.
big win for the thread to have grecian back

I think there is a danger that she'll get too satisfied and revert to the inconsistent fare we've seen at the start of the year (and the faux bagel she got from Radwańska in the SF) so she ends up a Kvitová-like figure. Do hope not though, she really has the touch and the tennis brain to be more than a brainless ballbasher

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member

I think there is a danger that she'll get too satisfied and revert to the inconsistent fare we've seen at the start of the year (and the faux bagel she got from Radwańska in the SF) so she ends up a Kvitová-like figure. Do hope not though, she really has the touch and the tennis brain to be more than a brainless ballbasher
I don't think there's any danger she'll be satisfied. She was gutted to have lost and unlike Lisicki and Bouchard she played as though she believed she belongs at this level and believes she can win.

grecian

Ick that's a bit creepy, I'm British after all, I can't take compliments, but it is a thread that Jono dominates so fair enough.

I agree though .lets not quite anoint Garbine yet, she's got a good game and is disarmingly charming, but she does go through times in matches where everything goes horrifically wrong.,

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I'm more north east London, but it's dry here, and the forecast has improved a lot since this time yesterday. Will miss the final if it's dry, cause I'll be playing cricket. Slightly annoyed, though this is probably not the sort of match I'd enjoy watching.

harsh.ag

Watched the ladies doubles final last night. It was absolutely brilliant. Thought Sania-Hingis were dead in the third set, but they somehow managed to make an outstanding comeback. I do think that winners down the line should be more frequent than they are right now. There is so much space on that side sometimes.