• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Nadal, and even Djokovic to an extent, had made a serious impression by the time they were 20, playing like that. The next top players, especially if they arrive during a weak period, can still do it IMO.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Whilst the mens semi's look pretty old, and there's no-one that's been a finalist born in the eighties in the Atp, which when you consider it's 2015 that's pretty astounding.
No one apart from all 4 semi finalists...

I know you meant 90s

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Nadal, and even Djokovic to an extent, had made a serious impression by the time they were 20, playing like that. The next top players, especially if they arrive during a weak period, can still do it IMO.
Both of those players have added a *lot* of power since they were teens, though. They played a physical game but at least for Rafa it was mainly about outrunning the opponent in the early days, not really sustained power tennis.

Another factor is that I think you need to put together a lot more wins on the challenger tour these days to even get in, because the tour is more organized with cutoffs etc. You don't see local 16-17 year-olds get the wildcards, it goes to people like Hewitt and Haas who really should have retired long ago.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No one apart from all 4 semi finalists...

I know you meant 90s
Yep it's because around the French Open I decided to do a comparison of how many slam winners had been borne in the 80s, then the average age of the q-fs on both tours. I realised it was slightly pointless though as a lot of the people then were still around now, so if you say it's a strong era that is keeping the youngsters out then it's redundant.

Yet still it interested me for 5 minutes, I still feel the likes of Gasquet, Ferrer and Berdych still featuring deep shows the youngsters aren't coming through though. Maybe it's hard to get past the big 3, as it is now, but I do feel that these solid but not great players should be displaced.

Same with Radwanska and Woz, on the WTA, you aren't going to win a slam, go away.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yet still it interested me for 5 minutes, I still feel the likes of Gasquet, Ferrer and Berdych still featuring deep shows the youngsters aren't coming through though. Maybe it's hard to get past the big 3, as it is now, but I do feel that these solid but not great players should be displaced.
Agree with this point. Don't really see the point in complaining about Novak and Nadal etc. being on top for so long as they are genuine ATGs, but Gasquet making a Wimby semi now is really odd. Nishi and Dimi should be top 6 really but they haven't kicked on properly for different reasons.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Probably jinxing it for today but the players Grecian named never challenge the big boys, which, aside from their age, is what makes it boring. That's what's made Wawrinka so much more interesting, actually has the wood over Novak.

grecian

Probably jinxing it for today but the players Grecian named never challenge the big boys, which, aside from their age, is what makes it boring. That's what's made Wawrinka so much more interesting, actually has the wood over Novak.
Yep that's my point, and why I didn't put Stan in there. I could have mentioned Tsonga too, but at least he's good to watch.

grecian

Gasquet is good to watch tbf

Playing deliciously right now.
Yep, but I guess I'm kind of giving Tsonga a pass because he may well have won a slam in another Era, Gasquet is so mentally weak I just think he'd have blown it against anyone. Obviously Berdych and Ferrer may have done too, but I'm really not convinced they would have.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Tbf to Berdych he once beat Federer and Djokovic back to back then faced absolute peak Nadal. I'm inclined to agree though.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
That was coming off a semi-final at the French too where he was close to knocking off Soder to make the final (would have lost to Rafa obv). Should have kicked on but hasn't. He and Tsonga had the game, waste of talent imo. Just like Stan for much of his career until it clicked mentally for him. Those 3 had the game to win the odd Slam.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Don't get me wrong I'll cop it on the nut and stay up, but Gasquet being the first match is roooooooof stooooooooof