• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Wtf, someone in the crowd has fainted in the heat.

Car crash + someone fainting + slow courts.

Proof tennis should never be played in Cairns again :ph34r:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Nah, just randomly play stopped and they showed a bunch of people looking at the floor.

Pretty hot there and there's no cover for the crowd.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
You have already given the reason why the fact that Borg hasn't won the Australian shouldn't be held against him. We must keep in mind that players were effectively competing for 3/4 Slams in the '70s (non-Australians) because they did not want to make the long trip down under as it would mean missing Christmas. Having said that, Borg had promised that had he won the USO in one of his 4 final appearances, he would have made the trip to try and complete the calendar year Slam.

Also, it's amazing how much tennis guys like Laver, Rosewall, Gonzales etc. played on various professional tours. I mean, they have head-to-heads against each other running into hundreds of matches! :-O I have absolutely no doubt Laver would have around 20 Slams if he hadn't missed five years worth of Slams in his prime. Winning each Major atleast twice puts him on a different plane to everyone else to have played the game.

Lendl is also under-rated in these discussions, he dominated the toughest era in men's tennis, but understandably had a less-than-great Slam final win ratio (8/19) as he was competing with the likes of McEnroe, Connors, Wilander, Becker, and Edberg.
Totally agree about the achievements of Lendl being under-rated. He was very much a base-liner and he never really developed a great technique on the volley. Yet despite this he still made two Wimbledon Finals and circumstances rather conspired against him in both. Not many players peak at 18 but in the 1986 Wimbledon Tournament Boris Becker played to a level he rarely repeated and beat Lendl in the Final. At Wimbledon in 1987 Pat Cash played almost flawless grass court tennis beating Wilander, Connors and Lendl, and Cash never reached anywhere near the same heights again in his career. In those days the courts were genuine fast grass courts. I don't know if Lendl is one to look back and think "if only" but if he is he would be looking very enviously at Nadal being able to slug it out from the baseline on today's slow grass courts.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Totally agree about the achievements of Lendl being under-rated. He was very much a base-liner and he never really developed a great technique on the volley. Yet despite this he still made two Wimbledon Finals and circumstances rather conspired against him in both. Not many players peak at 18 but in the 1986 Wimbledon Tournament Boris Becker played to a level he rarely repeated and beat Lendl in the Final. At Wimbledon in 1987 Pat Cash played almost flawless grass court tennis beating Wilander, Connors and Lendl, and Cash never reached anywhere near the same heights again in his career. In those days the courts were genuine fast grass courts. I don't know if Lendl is one to look back and think "if only" but if he is he would be looking very enviously at Nadal being able to slug it out from the baseline on today's slow grass courts.
Agree.

vcs

Ugh, Mello up a break in the fifth. :( We're not out of this even if we lose today because I'm sure we'll win the doubles but it might be too big a mountain to climb.

vcs

I really, really want Argentina to win this Davis Cup for Nalbandian's sake even though I really like Llodra also. He is the most dedicated Davis Cup player I've seen in a long time.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
He was awesome in the US Open. Runner up in men's doubles alongside Bopanna and mixed doubles as well.
I know he teamed up with an Indian player and they call it something like IndoPak Storm.

He was given a red carpet welcome in Pak...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I really, really want Argentina to win this Davis Cup for Nalbandian's sake even though I really like Llodra also. He is the most dedicated Davis Cup player I've seen in a long time.
Nalbandian and Hewitt live and breathe Davis Cup.

However it looks like Monfils is about to put away Nalbandian.