• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
****ing hell how lucky is Robredo. :@

Gets yet another retirement out of Llodra. Damn it!

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Did anybody watch the Murray match and get any tactical insights on what he was doing wrong? Because he's a better player than Wawrinka and shouldn't be losing unless he goes into a shell and lets the other player get into a rhythm...
Will be watching the highlights soon. I'll let you know.

vcs

Stats suggest he served abysmally. That tends to happen to him in Grand Slam matches when someone puts him under a bit of pressure.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Dementieva served at 75% and only served 3 double faults.

Obviously this weird tweaking has helped a bit.

shivfan

Banned
Murray frustrates me. Plays within himself so much.
He really needs to add more of an aggressive touch to his game, especially for the Slams....

I can't say I was terribly surprised he lost to Wawrinka. He's not Federer - he really needs to get a good coach on board who can improve his game.

Good to see Venus scraping a win ahead of Peer, in some entertaining tennis....

Dydl

International Debutant
I find Peer very enjoyable to watch. Good competitor, can just never really take the next step.
Very true. Big respect to her too for having to deal with some of the crowds who aren't exactly pro-Israeli, and not being able to play in some WTA tournament relatively recently because of her nationality. It really shouldn't matter.

So happy Sammy's through. Didn't make it easy for herself.

Uppercut

Stats suggest he served abysmally. That tends to happen to him in Grand Slam matches when someone puts him under a bit of pressure.
Yeah, true. His return game was pretty good but the serve was absolutely shocking. The pundits before the match were mentioning that Wawrinka struggles to return big serves, so it could have been that he was going for it a bit too much.

Lost concentration when he was 7-6, 3-0 up too. Wawrinka honestly looked completely done at that stage, especially after losing a first set he really should have won. But he pulled something out of the bag from absolutely nowhere.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Would love to know what Wawrinka was paying at 6-7 0-3 down. Would have been huge considering how short Murray already was pre-match!

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
A Federer/Nadal final would be miles better than the other Grand Slam finals this year. I do not want to see one or the other against a guy outside the top 10. I'd rather neither make the final in that case.

shivfan

Banned
since murray is gone

i guess a federer nadal final is inevitable
You could say it was inevitable before Murray went out, because he was unlikely to stop any of them....
:)
If anyone was worth a bet on knocking out one of them in a Slam, it was Soderling.

That said, Federer and Nadal as a duo are miles ahead of the rest of the field. It's always likely that if one doesn't win it, the other will. In that respect, the women's competition is IMHO a little more exciting, because there are more than two main contenders.

vcs

I have to say those comments about Murray's game that Federer made after losing to him in Dubai a couple of years ago (which were dismissed by the British press as bitter and disrespectful to Murray) are looking pretty damn accurate at this point.