• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

shivfan

Banned
But I like Federer

I pointed it out because Fed doesn't cop **** for it, especially from someone like Anil, the same guy who hates Serena for it.

I was pointing out how holier than thou Federer is treated compared to others. Like he's the most modest man ever. When Rafa is 100 times more modest.

I'm still a huge Federer fan. It doesn't seem it on here because I play up my Rafa love on purpose, and probably because as a Rafa fan you're immediately seen as someone who doesn't like Federer, but it's seriously incorrect.
Again, I agree with you....

I'm a huge Federer fan, because I love his brilliant style of play. But I'm under no illusions - Federer is arrogant, and it comes out in his interviews. However, I think he's earned his right to be arrogant.

I also believe Nadal is much more modest and polite. But personally, I prefer Federer's style of play. I watch players for their style of play, not their nice personalities. I would much rather watch Lara bat, even though he can be such a pain in the neck, than watch Floyd Reifer bat, even though he's a nice guy.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Tennis is different from cricket it's so much more personal and you really feel like you get to know the players and that forms your opinions on whether you like them or not.

Like people have said, if Federer was an arrogant **** that would happily admit it, I wouldn't really have a problem, he's good enough to be able to get away with it. What annoys me about him is that he pretends to be a holier-than-thou figure when he isn't. Nadal pretty much is.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!

I'm a huge Federer fan, because I love his brilliant style of play. But I'm under no illusions - Federer is arrogant, and it comes out in his interviews. However, I think he's earned his right to be arrogant.

I also believe Nadal is much more modest and polite. But personally, I prefer Federer's style of play. I watch players for their style of play, not their nice personalities. I would much rather watch Lara bat, even though he can be such a pain in the neck, than watch Floyd Reifer bat, even though he's a nice guy.
The delicious irony in the Fed-Nadal fan animosity is, of course, that the two blokes themselves seem to get on really, really well.

And I agree, Fed his these moments where his utterances are so discordant with his image. I guess no one's perfect.

I like Nadal too.. Confess when he first came along I thought he was just another typical Euro douchebag. But he sure isn't. Seems a thoroughly well-grounded human being.

It's just a shame he picks his arse so much.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
Feel really bad about Federer's loss. Just when I manage to get tickets for this year's US open semis he starts losing in the quarters. The whole thing will stink if he doesn't reach the semis there.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
Federer being arrogant is a complete load of ****. Stop reading so much into press conferences and post match comments.

Last edited by a moderator:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Indeed it has, because every time you hate on Serena's press conferences I'll link you to Roger's :p
not sufficiently interested in women's tennis anymore to comment on what serena williams might say....but i do agree that was horrible from feds to do a "serena" after his loss...:)

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
But I like Federer

I pointed it out because Fed doesn't cop **** for it, especially from someone like Anil, the same guy who hates Serena for it.

I was pointing out how holier than thou Federer is treated compared to others. Like he's the most modest man ever. When Rafa is 100 times more modest.

I'm still a huge Federer fan. It doesn't seem it on here because I play up my Rafa love on purpose, and probably because as a Rafa fan you're immediately seen as someone who doesn't like Federer, but it's seriously incorrect.
i have never been under any illusions that feds is simple and humble and i have never stated so...in fact to play at that rarified level requires a certain arrogance...i am fairly certain nadal has a huge ego as well, just because he comes across as modest and polite in interviews doesn't mean squat....i am sure he like feds never goes into a match expecting to lose and that requires supreme confidence...

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member

Nobody earns a right to be arrogant.

vcs

If your guys find Federer arrogant, I hate to think what you would have thought of Connors, McEnroe, Lendl... heck, even Sampras. ("In 1998, after Rafter defeated Sampras in the Cincinnati Masters final, Sampras, at the time winner of 11 Grand Slams, when asked about the difference between himself and Rafter, famously stated "Ten grand slams", that a controversial line-call cost him the match, and that a player had to come back and win another Grand Slam title in order to be considered great." from Wikipedia)

And yeah, Nadal's no angel either... I bet you'd see a lot more "arrogant" statements from him if you pored over his press conferences in Spanish.

irfan

State Captain
The delicious irony in the Fed-Nadal fan animosity is, of course, that the two blokes themselves seem to get on really, really well.

And I agree, Fed his these moments where his utterances are so discordant with his image. I guess no one's perfect.

I like Nadal too.. Confess when he first came along I thought he was just another typical Euro douchebag. But he sure isn't. Seems a thoroughly well-grounded human being.

It's just a shame he picks his arse so much.
He's collecting it all up for you, Burgey - seeing as you love commenting about it :ph34r:

vcs

Djokovic just isn't a natural grass-courter, but he has great defensive skills and fights hard. If he played like this in the early part of the year, this clay-court season might have been much more interesting.

Burgey

Always thrilled to see Novak get caned. Not my favourite archetypal tennis brat.

Beckham here to cheer Murray on, thereby sealing the latter's fate.