• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I play tenis 3-4 times a week and clay is by far my favourite service to play on

However, the opposite can be said from a viewing perspective

It's so incredibly boring to watch a match where the serve and volley is largely irrelevant and short balls inevitably go unpunished because your opponent can run everything down on such a slow surface

Grass is in the same boat as it is virtually all serve and volley, save for when Fed gifted Wimbledon to Rafa because of a mental block

Give me Plexipave every day of the week when it come to being a spectator

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Well, the player most likely to have any chance of beating Nadal in the final will play him. Great rematch from last year.

Melzer gave Nadal a bit of a scare in the third set. Seems he plays his best tennis when he's 2 sets and a break down :ph34r:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I play tenis 3-4 times a week and clay is by far my favourite service to play on

However, the opposite can be said from a viewing perspective

It's so incredibly boring to watch a match where the serve and volley is largely irrelevant and short balls inevitably go unpunished because your opponent can run everything down on such a slow surface

Grass is in the same boat as it is virtually all serve and volley, save for when Fed gifted Wimbledon to Rafa because of a mental block

Give me Plexipave every day of the week when it come to being a spectator
Hmm. I definitely get most excited about grass tennis, although there are a few more unwatchably poor games than there are on other surfaces. I always rather liked clay but this year not so much. Is it just me or does it seem a bit quicker than usual? I could have sworn players never used to hit so many clean winners from behind the baseline.

Plexipave, meh. It all feels rather forgettable to me. Maybe people just prefer whatever they grow up with.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I like them all. Variety for the win.

Courts weren't quicker this year Uppercut by the way. The weather was worse (cold, overcast, matches often late), which favours players that hit heavy balls.

benchmark00

Not enough carpet tournaments imo.

Would think that seeing as though every rug company in the history of mankind has had a going out of business sale it'd be relatively cheap to build a carpet tennis court.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
French Open 2010: final between Francesca Schiavone and Sam Stosur a TV turn off - Telegraph

Ok, so it's not the final that people were expecting but both deserve to be there and a bit more respect for their efforts would be nice
I see your point and I'll definitely be watching the highlights (1am start and exams coming up my reasoning for not catching it live) but I can see why some people wouldn't bother and will be happy just to hear about the result in the news headlines.

Uppercut

I dunno, does it really reflect the views of tennis watchers? Personally the thought of two new faces in a final is much more exciting than the prospect of watching Venusaur violently ravage a small, innocent girl for the 235296th time. But if I'm a minority then I guess the article is fair enough.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
But the article is hypocritcal.

He mentions why Stosur and Schiavone making the final its actually a good story (Schiavone possible first female Italian GS winner, Stosur's come back from lyme disease) but that no one will even pay attention to know why this is a good story.

Well write the story about that then! People will then pay attention.

Last edited: