• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Cruxdude

International Debutant
At last Federer has been beaten before the semis. What a run it has been for him though. 6 years of reaching all semis. Great player. I am hoping to go to the US open semis this year. Really pray that Federer, Nadal, Del Porto and Murray make it through there.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah fantastic run. Almost unbelievable.

He looked like he'd dominate Soderling during the first set. Almost broke him every game, and Soderling only won 2 points on serve. Changed after that though.

By the way, how important is that flukey overhead backhand volley from Soderling at set point down in the third set looking? Changed the match.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Question - would Nadal have preferred to face Federer in the final? Or Soderling?

Sure, he has huge amounts of respect for Federer, and Federer has far more final experience than Soderling... has won many Slams etc. One of the greatest of all time.

But Nadal has never lost to Federer at Roland Garros. Soderling was the only one to beat him.

Having said that, Soderling was like a deer in the headlights in the final vs. Fed last year. Compared to today when he was amazing. Can he handle finals?

It's an interesting question, and I don't believe its a simple answer either way.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
I think he would prefer Federer but would want to beat Soderling and set the record straight. I believe they don't get along too well. Don't think Soderling would be able to beat a fit and hungry Nadal though. I am a bit worried about Fed. Maybe he has lost the hunger after all. Really wish not though.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Nah, I'll accept that Fed's not hungry for smaller tournaments (even Masters 1000 tournaments) but if you watched tonight's match, you could tell he wanted to win badly. Like really badly.

He was pumping himself up hard in that 4th set. Lots of 'come ons' when he was saving break points.

But yes, Rafa vs. Soder has an amazing story behind it. Hope it happens.

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
Roland Garros always seems eventful for Federer. Humiliated in 2008, triumphant last year and now this.

I hope Soderling builds on this.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I've stuck my foot in my mouth plenty of times in this thread, so I'm hardly one to talk...

but remember what Simon said about Soderling last year :ph34r:

;)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Btw Soderling's last 6 grand slams:

2009 Aust Open - lost 2nd round to Baghdatis - just prior to when he really started going
2009 French - lost final to Federer (1–6 6–7 4–6)
2009 Wimbledon - lost 4th round to Federer (4-6 6-7 6-7)
2009 US Open - lost quarter finals to Federer (0-6 3-6 7-6 6-7)
2010 Aust Open - lost first round to Marcel Granollers (5-7 2-6 6-4 6-4 6-2) - anomaly if I've ever seen one
2010 French - finally beat Federer (3-6 6-4 7-5 6-4) and still going...

Fed had been stopping him a lot in the big tournaments, but you just got the feeling that the win was coming. All he needed to do was win the big points against Federer, and that's what he did tonight :D

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fed :(

Still, beginning to love Soderling's borderline psycho persona. He has, as the Yanks are fond of saying, a "lot of game". Wouldn't mind if he wins it tbh.

Can anyone see Fed's record of 23 straight GS semis being beaten in the men's game?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Probably not, but if anyone is going to do it:

it'll be him.

Needs to get his wrist right, and he could dominate the next few years.

No reason why he shouldn't have a better record on grass than he does have right now.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
damn! there goes any interest i have left in the 2010 french open...henin and federer gone...:@

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Why not enjoy the talents of Berdych and Soderling. Playing amazingly, and hitting winners at will :)

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Why not enjoy the talents of Berdych and Soderling. Playing amazingly, and hitting winners at will :)
i like to see the best play to their potential and win....the idea of supporting the underdog has never really appealed to me...and berdych and soderling are good for a few good to great matches, neither of them will beat a healthy nadal (neither will federer but he was at least clearly 2nd best on the surface)...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
What's the point of being a tennis fan then? Surely other players lifting their game and playing better than the best is exciting.

Anyway, Soderling beat Fed. Fed didn't lose because he played below par. He was outplayed.

Fed was playing awesome in the first set, and Soderling took it and then served amazingly!

Last edited:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Anyway, Soderling beat Fed. Fed didn't lose because he played below par. He was outplayed.

Fed was playing awesome in the first set, and Soderling took it and then served amazingly!
federer played below par and soderling played out if his skin to win...it is not unreasonable to expect that someone who has beaten him 13 straight times is a far superior player and would beat him if he played anywhere close to his best...

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
It seemed fairly apparent to me that if Soderling played to his potential then he would beat Federer one of these days. Unfortunately for Federer it was at a Grand Slam, but streaks are made to be broken and Federer must have been aware that this day would come.

The real question for me is if Federer loses his number one ranking can he make a serious push at gaining it back? Because if Nadal stays healthy then Federer will have to take tour points much more seriously.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
federer played below par and soderling played out if his skin to win...it is not unreasonable to expect that someone who has beaten him 13 straight times is a far superior player and would beat him if he played anywhere close to his best...
Yeah... players don't improve or anything of course.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Stosur was 6-2 5-3 up, serving for the match, but Serena broke back.

Serena now serving to stay in it.