• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Beaten by a superior player on clay... just like last year.

2009 Gonzalez was paying $2.40

2010 Berdych was paying $2.50

Will make this my ritual because he's cashed me up twice :)

Hopefully Berdych can beat Youzhny

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Big win for Berdych that, could be turning point perhaps?

Would not be too hopefull though, will probably take the first two sets against Federer in the semis and then lose...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Berdych's turning point was when he beat Federer in Miami after saving a match point. He's a lot better in the head now.

The question is whether he can do it in a Slam.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Federer a totally differnent proposition in grand slams as well these days.

Nadal got in the bag anyway obviously.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Berdych sliding into backhands. Great to watch.

As for Murray on clay, shouldn't it be more to do with discomfort on the surface and lack of hitting the ball anywhere but the opponent than the serve? If he's so good in 'open play', how come he doesn't do it on the surface that negates the serve the most?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
As for Murray on clay, shouldn't it be more to do with discomfort on the surface and lack of hitting the ball anywhere but the opponent than the serve? If he's so good in 'open play', how come he doesn't do it on the surface that negates the serve the most?
His serve isn't why he loses on clay. His serve is a big factor why he loses on any surface though.

He's also way too defensive in his stroke play at times. So many chances in that second set he had to go to the net and close the point.

Berdych did that all day. Sure he has better and more powerful approach shots, but still.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He's also way too defensive in his stroke play at times.
This is what I rant about every time I see him. It's as though his tactical game depends on the other player to make more errors than he does rather than actively trying to win every point.

I can see what you're saying about his serve but I think it's a bit harsh. His serve's not great but it's improved beyond all recognition compared to how poor it was when he first emerged.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Uppercut, my boy Gabashvili is going to take your boy Melzer down!

Man if Gabashbili makes the quarters of a Slam my life will be complete!

5-4 first set tie break.