• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yet you have time at work to write up full season previews for WCC...

Btw, the last left hander I can think of that was successful without a big serve was John McEnroe and he used a wooden racket!

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mister Wright said:
Yet you have time at work to write up full season previews for WCC...

Btw, the last left hander I can think of that was successful without a big serve was John McEnroe and he used a wooden racket!
my point exactly!

Thomas Muster didnt have the worlds biggest serve, but had all his good results on clay, if melzer is going to do well in any major events it will be on the red stuff....

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
yeah sorry i'm a bit up tight at the moment. i've just been threatened at work.. you see at my work this guy stole phones from the safe and now he's really angry with all the employees and i work here by myself and him and all these other guys came up to me!!! i'm scarrreeeddd

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
haha well these guys are wogs and look really scary and stole phones from where i work (mad rons phone store). and they're really fired up cos they've been charged because of it!!! and i'm just a helpless new employee. and bloody westfield security won't post a security guard here cos they haven't "done" anything. they bloody threatened me... damn them

Simon

US open kicked off overnight, no shocks really....

Federer, Moya, Fish, Dent, Kiefer, Pavel, Novak all through

only "good" players to lose were Rusedski and Ancic....

Mister Wright

Molik got through convincingly too. I think she is starting to become a really good player, and should start being consistent for the major tournaments. I can see her making the second week, and even, isn't beyond winning it, although it's a bit early to be talking about that. I've probably put the mocker on her now. :@

_Ed_

Good win for Agassi.

The outfit Serena Williams was wearing gave me a hell of a fright. She really is weird.

Simon

haas not on the schedule from what i could see, looks like he wont be up till day 3....

Simon

his draw is favourable, hes going to win a slam in the next 3 years, theres no denying it....

Mister Wright

No way.

He's Germany's answer to 'The Poo' So much potential, yet no application, can get close, but not close enough. Loses the ones he should win, and wins the ones he should lose, he's way to inconsistent, has too many distractions.

Simon

he got to world number two!
id call his parents nearly dieing in a car crash a fair distraction and then his shoulder played up for a year until he decided to get it fixed and took 18 months off.
hes still only young, 24, plenty of time to win slams.....

Mister Wright

Now, I'm probably the biggest 'Scud' fan on this forum, and even I admit he's a lazy trainer, and only plays well when he feels like it.

Now, don't get me wrong, I like Haas, and I cheer for him (except against Aussies) but to me, he is just one of those lazy players.

You look at the guys that are consistent like Federer, Agassi & Sampras - they are big trainers and work hard at their game. They look gutted when they lose, and extatic when they win.

Now Haas & Scud show these qualities some of the time, but not all of the time, and that is what they need to do. They need to leave their heart on the court, and they don't do it enough.

Simon

haas is a hard trainer, u only have to look at what he has achieved this year, no tennis for 18 months, hes won 2 tournaments after coming back from 2 major shoulder operations, that takes a lot of commitment. Hes managed to get his ranking up to 45, which is a big big effort, and those ranking points only include 2 grand slams and half of the masters series events. He has plenty of passion and trains hard.

however there are two major problems with his game, firstly he lets things get to him on the court. once the bad calls start going against him, u know hes in trouble. secondly, hise second serve has always been very suspect, he gets a good percentage of first serves in, in 2001 and 2002 he was in the top 5 on the tour for that, but he also serves a lot of double faults. if he can fix up these things theres no reason he cant be world number 1.
he was ranked top 20 when he was 19 and hasnt kicked on really, but hes got a second wind imo since coming back, Grand Slams are hard to win, so its silly to say hes going to win just like that, but i expect a good showing in the US in the next fortnight, a quarter finals spot isnt out of the question.
the last 2 times he played there he lost in the 4th round to the eventual champion both times, Hewitt 2001 and Sampras 2002.

Mister Wright

I'm not doubting Haas' ability, and my 'NO WAY' comment was to him winning a slam in the next 3 years, I believe he is capable and quite possibly could win a grand slam. But I have seen him before, even when he makes the week he just loses from winnable (is that a word?) positions. He should have never lost his semi-final at the Australian Open (who did he play Safin or Johansson?) and has been so close before, but just can't beat the top players when they are at their best. Federer beat Phillipousis in top form, Hewitt in top form and went on to win, Sampras has done it a thousand times, Rafter beat Agassi twice to make it to the final. That is what he will have to do to win a major. Very rarely is a major won, without beating someone in the top 5-10 who is in top form.

thewizard1o1

International Debutant
_Ed_ said:
Good win for Agassi.

The outfit Serena Williams was wearing gave me a hell of a fright. She really is weird.
I woke up when she was warming up and i though Mel had made the next Mad Max movie :wacko:. That outfit was totally wacko...

Simon

some upsets overnight, last years finalist Juan Carlos Ferrero beaten, hes really had a shocking year. Schuettler lost, Safin got beaten by Enqvist. they were the only upsets, while Henman, Massu, Hrbaty and Srichaphan all got through...