• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* NRL 2014

dermo

International Vice-Captain
From a QLD perspective I'm loving the form of Slater
there were two key plays last night that i thought show why slater is still a better fullback than inglis.

it was in the 2nd half when souths had all those repeat sets on melbournes line and the score was 24-14, they ran a play to the left and inglis got the ball and the souths winger was completely unmarked, he made the right decision and tried to throw the pass but the ball hit the deck and even though the souths man still picked it up the defence had time to come over and make the tackle. then 5 mins later slater scored that try where he threw the two dummies and they checked it for obstruction.

with the first play, slater hits the winger on the chest 99% of the time whereas inglis doesnt have anywhere near the same passing ability. the second play, slater creates that opportunity with his quickness, inglis is fast but he isn't quick and as such a lot of the opportunities he creates are just from brute force which doesn't work against the really good teams.

inglis is probably the best ball runner the games ever seen but when it comes to all round fullback play slater is still superior imo

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Must say I've come to the view I'd have Slater over Inglis at FB, though I'd still have Inglis overall as a player.

Slater's level of involvement is so much higher than Inglis, and he still does most of those things at a really high level. If Inglis involved himself in the play as often as Slater does, he would probably spoil the sport for everyone else tbh.

Burgey

Mind you, right now I wouldn't swap Hayne for either of them.

The juggernaut rolls on.

Last edited:

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
I can't wait for Milford next year in the 6 as Hoffman stifles the attack so often which is a problem for a team that attempts to go around its opponents close to the line frequently.
Milford was seriously good yesterday. Easily the Raider's best. Looked very much a 6 as well. Quick, elusive and linked up really well with the backline. A better version of Barba imo.

When was the last time Parra and Penrith were both in the top 4? Hopefully there's enough hype to fill the stadium Friday week.

howardj

International Coach
For a team that's won 15 series in a row, the team announcement just then was nowhere near arrogant enough

Each player should have come out sniffing coke off some cheerleader's breast

Burgey

Jeez you can't coach what dce did last night. That's just raw talent and composure.

Kid has game

mullarkey

School Boy/Girl Captain
How is Alex McKinnon doing? Really not heard anything lately. Very upsetting and I hope and pray he will be much improved.

dermo

everyone knows what i think of josh reynolds and i put hodkinson on a lower level.

way to much pressure on his kicking game, qld will target him and if he falls apart we dont have someone to back him up at 6.

can live with the rest of the side, though i think beau scott is very lucky and guys like josh jackson and wade graham are very unlucky

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't mind Scott so much, Hoffman is the lucky one imo. Graham may be unlucky but other people must be seeing something In Josh Jackson that I'm not.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Also how depressing is it that such a terrible selection as Hodkinson just evokes a rueful chuckle in me. It's like every year you just know there's going to be some awful call so it doesn't shock anymore.

dermo

its what happens when you lose so many series in a row, first we convinced ourselves the only way to win was to pick the 17 most inform players and we tried that for a series or two. then we decided the secret to winning origins is combinations so for the past few years we've had the good old pick and stick motto. now we're in this ridiculous love child of the two where we will only pick the inform players but they must come as a combo package, not individually.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I think its a strong lineup. I'm kind of surprised that Lewis made the lineup. He is obviously a proven Origin performer but he has looked off the pace in his two matches for the Sharks this year. I would have went for his Sharks teammate Graham. Greg Bird is a big out for the Blues. If you add him (and Cordner) as the starting second row ahead of Scott and Hoffman the team looks quite good IMO.