• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* NRL 2012 Season thread

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I won't comment on the 1st one as I haven't seen it, but I perfectly understand the 2nd one being given BOD. As the AFL review system has shown time and time again this season, it's ****ing hard to positively identify a slight touch of finger onto the ball...my problem is that if you can't be certain it's a legitimate try, you shouldn't hand it out. I'd flicked over to the NRL so I was watching it live, and as soon as I saw it was coming down to the touch of the finger on the ball, I knew it was being given. You just can't be certain.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I thought they were both tries.:p

End of the day apart from the Tomau run I don't think the Cows looked like scoring. The 2nd try they only scored because of crap refereeing decisions from the strip/knock on penalty. Cows attack was very average without Payne at hooker.

uvelocity

International Coach
I won't comment on the 1st one as I haven't seen it, but I perfectly understand the 2nd one being given BOD. As the AFL review system has shown time and time again this season, it's ****ing hard to positively identify a slight touch of finger onto the ball...my problem is that if you can't be certain it's a legitimate try, you shouldn't hand it out. I'd flicked over to the NRL so I was watching it live, and as soon as I saw it was coming down to the touch of the finger on the ball, I knew it was being given. You just can't be certain.
I think they just misapply bod

do you remember hayne in origin, what year was it, 09? 10? I don't think he touched the sideline, but there is no way to know. BOD to the attacking team there imo

this one you can be 80/20 sure (im 100% sure) that foran touched the ball.

If it's really impossible to tell, the call should go to either the attacking or defending team every time (kind of like bod to the batsman.) I think they just picked attacking team beacuse more tries = good

The main thing is the refs time and again show that they have no understanding of what the game is. And we have seen recently similar UDRS decisions in cricket where they go upstairs, watch a video of the incident back and forth and completely miss something glaring and make a complete **** up of it, totally baffling

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Honestly. Just get rid of video refs and be done with it. All we've done all season is talk about how incompetent they are. If we let the men in the middle do the job, we give them back their confidence and the game moves on and nobody cares. With ref decisions, you have almost 10 minutes to talk about the decision with endless replays then the kick at goal and the kick off to restart play. If the men in the middle make the decision. We watch one or two replays, we see the conversion then kick off to restart play all done in under 5 minutes.

GET ON WITH IT!

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
How about we do what we did before endless tv replays and angle, and just accept they referees are useless and are going to get more wrong then right. The issue is the false expectation they are going to get it right.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
North Queensland Cowboys were Robbed - 14/9/2012 | Facebook

Completely disagree about getting rid of the video ref. People forget how many mistakes were made without them. Kind of agree with chaminda in the peoples expectations are a bit part of the problem, but there does seem to be problems continuously raised by frame by frame viewings of groundings and knock ons which could be avoided by just watching the replays in real time.

Should point out I haven't seen the incident.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Taste it Uvelocity, told you Manly would win and I got on them at $1.95.

Thought the Taufua try was fine, but not the last one.

Taufua is a smokey for rep honours at the end of year IMO.

uvelocity

International Coach
also no caps n00fag

I was banking on no Lyon, they'd never have won without him. 50/50 when he ran out, but they were heaps better than cowboys on the night

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
**** that Cowboys decision was rotten

It just killed the contest

The video refs have such a sense of self importance

It's like they are desperate to be contrary; to see things that nobody else can see

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm having trouble thinking of a final four I've been less enthused about. Can't stand any of these teams, maybe hate Souffs slightly less than the other 3. Just thinking about a Dogs/Manly GF is making my gut churn.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
manly/melbourne?????

dog or souths for me. both likeable teams. souths won't beat dogs though.
WTF the mange are likeable? The cheats that smugly sat up there in 2004 holding the trophy with an illegally assembled team? The team that brings a fight and a spot of train defecation as part of the match day experience? Throw in the Oasis development, Bred not Bought (lol), Michael "origin player" Ennis and a few bandwagoning Doggiez supporters I know taking a particularly keen interest this year and frankly I wouldn't piss on the club. Then again Cam "I didn't know what the second contract was for" Smith with his grubby smirking paws on the trophy would be almost as bad.

Being sickened by another Manly premiership needs no explanation. So yeah in comparison the "20xx is our year" "pride of the league (lol)" "when Souffs are doing well Rugby League is doing well (yeah because the game has gone down the crapper in the last 42 years)" Russell "we're a community club" "we're not going to play chequebook Rugby League" "Sandow just got his Alan Bond" Crowe's Souff Sinny Methonoes aren't that bad an option.

I know a few old school Souffs fans. Blokes that turned up and watched when they were being flogged by all and sundry and were infinitely grateful to the masses that marched on the bridge to get their team reinstated. I'll be happy for them but that's about it. I think I'll be painfully gritting my teeth through the cheating protege squaring off against their mentors though.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Souths are easily the most likable team remaining for me and I think they play the best brand of football from a neutral perspective too.

I really don't want a grand final consisting of two teams who have already met in the finals series even though its quite likely to happen.

Its pretty weird but this new/old system has just made the finals series a little bit too predictable this year. Maybe its due to the top 5 being a class above the rest of the field, bring back a top 5 finals series!