• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Elite Football League of India

Will It Work?

• Total voters

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
This is definitely an interesting concept, American investors introducing an eight-team NFL-style football league in India. It's expected to start by November 2012. And seems to be inspired by the success of the IPL.

Reasons to believe in India football league - SportsBusiness Daily | SportsBusiness Journal

Perhaps you’re recalling the NFLs experience in Europe and pondering whether investors so lustily eyeing India will end up wasting their money? After all, there are intelligent NFL owners still grumbling about how much they spent propping up teams like the Barcelona Dragons, Frankfurt Galaxy and Scottish Claymores.

But give us this: Times change, technology improves and today’s global sport managers are more sophisticated. The success of India’s IPL (professional cricket), despite some challenges, is a multibillion-dollar league leveraging an international broadcast deal with YouTube.

Additionally, a market of ticket-paying, merchandise-buying sports fans exists and grows daily as India become more urban, more educated and more developed.
I guess the main question is if it'll work. And if it does, it would definitely do wonders for the growth of other sports in India. But, obviously, there are big question marks behind this. Especially with the overwhelming influence of cricket over other sports in India.

Here's the official website - Professional American Football League in Asia, Sports Leagues in India

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Is there much of an audience for the American brand of football in India? I can see how it's a market the NFL would want to tap into, but it strikes me as more of an optimistic punt than a well-thought out business plan.

Do any Indian-Americans play at the highest level? British Indians have famously struggled to make any kind of impact in the round ball version we prefer.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Is there much of an audience for the American brand of football in India? I can see how it's a market the NFL would want to tap into, but it strikes me as more of an optimistic punt than a well-thought out business plan.

Do any Indian-Americans play at the highest level? British Indians have famously struggled to make any kind of impact in the round ball version we prefer.
Brandon Chillar's father is ethnically Indian though he currently doesn't have a team and is out of the NFL.

This league is a terrible idea. A fantastic way to turn a lot of money into very little. Since the NFL/AFL merger, 2nd rate American football leagues have a rough time. The current UFL will not last much longer.

Also, who will play in this league, where will they play and who will watch?

If this is an Indian league designed for Indians to watch and play in then there is an element of logic but I don't know who has heard the growing Indian middle classes clamouring for American football. I cant see who watches a terrible quality product on TV or in the stadium.

If the business model relies on US coverage and some US players then it has zero chance. Americans will not watch and the league will not attract players of quality. No matter the progress India has made, it's hard enough to try and persuade American athletes that Spain and Italy are not 3rd world let alone attract them to India.

In terms of potential investment, this appears to be one of the very worst. The product will be terrible but at least Atul Sharma can find a job.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Just read that the players will be on 1.8 lakh a year on average. If my maths is accurate, this is just under $3500 per year. I'm not sure what they want to achieve with this league.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can't wait for the players to pour a giant tub of mango lassi over the winning coach's head, as is the tradition.