• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pro-Wrestling Thread II

Bahseph

State Captain
The subtle nature of the initial Bray Wyatt was never going to work outside NXT under the WWE umbrella. They don't do subtle. So they made it hokey. I liked Bray when he was presented as a cult leader,and not some Demon mask man.

In a sense it's the same thing they did with Finn and his paint. It went from being war paint to him literally being a demon again. Finn survived because I'm pretty sure even Vince thinks he is good looking haha.

Niall

International Coach
Boring ring worker so maybe he can go elsewhere and learn to work a match without gimmicks before the AEW stint?

However he was creative enough with his various characters, even though WWE dropped the ball on him plenty.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Boring ring worker so maybe he can go elsewhere and learn to work a match without gimmicks before the AEW stint?

However he was creative enough with his various characters, even though WWE dropped the ball on him plenty.
He's not great in ring, but I wouldn't call him boring either more just limited. Boring is something I reserve for the likes of Natalaya. Bray has moves I actually enjoy seeing and he has more than a few matches that have great moments in it.

I still don't know how well that'd translate to somewhere that isn't WWE though.

Athlai

Not Terrible
The subtle nature of the initial Bray Wyatt was never going to work outside NXT under the WWE umbrella. They don't do subtle. So they made it hokey. I liked Bray when he was presented as a cult leader,and not some Demon mask man.

In a sense it's the same thing they did with Finn and his paint. It went from being war paint to him literally being a demon again. Finn survived because I'm pretty sure even Vince thinks he is good looking haha.
TBF cult Bray worked pretty well on the main roster for years. Vince just ran it into the ground.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Bray Wyatt has always been crap. I'm sorry but he has. Granted he has been absolutely horribly handled for basically his entire main roster run. But I've never looked forward to any of his matches, and the only matches involving him I can remember enjoying were tags/multi-man jobs.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Bray Wyatt has always been crap. I'm sorry but he has. Granted he has been absolutely horribly handled for basically his entire main roster run. But I've never looked forward to any of his matches, and the only matches involving him I can remember enjoying were tags/multi-man jobs.
His matches vs Cena/Reigns were pretty good imo. And every match vs Bryan was really good.

That said they're all 3 tremendous workers

Mike5181

International Captain
Selfishly I've projected what I want in a wrestling product on AEW and Wyatt is so tainted by WWE that I'd rather he go to Impact. Mainly because I'm scared he'll take up 10 minutes of promo time on every Dynamite and then not deliver in the ring come PPV time. Not that he's a bad wrestler, a lot of those all-time bad matches were WWE's doing, but he's got a 4-star ceiling which isn't good enough to justify a high spot on a card for what is a largely hardcore fanbase.

Mike5181

International Captain
Early cult leader Bray Wyatt was great in delivery and charisma but quickly became stale, rambled on and on in riddles. If he talked more efficiently and didn't fall into the Paul Heyman 'repeating the same **** every week' problem he would have been a favourite. A lot of that is on WWE though.

Athlai

Not Terrible
He is only 34 so I'm in no urgency to see him again. AEW feels like a very full card right now so Wyatt finding his feet elsewhere for a year or two would be supreme. I always thought he'd be a WWE-lifer.

Everytime he came back the audience cared. It's a pretty bizarre one, particularly as he is reportedly on a smaller contract than the likes of Ziggler.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The best Bray Wyatt thing was that video one of Solomonster's listeners created. Was just a montage of his supposedly scary (i.e., rambling and incoherent) promos interspliced with footage of him being pinned immediately afterwards. The new face of fear failure. The eater of worlds pins. Etc.

Granted this wasn't Bray's fault tbf, but still.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I agree he is not a great worker yet but there was potential there. It took a MIck Foley to start getting actual great matches out of the Undertaker. The character was good, and he did not need to beat so many people. There was a time when anyone that Triple H disliked was somehow fed to Bray Wyatt, which made no sense. If there is one character who won't be brought down by a loss in the ring, it was his. And yet they somehow used both his wins and his losses in the worst way possible.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The problem with the Bray Wyatt character(s) is that they (except the fiend, ironically) made little to no sense in the context of a wrestling TV show (and bear in mind this is a setting in which we've had an undead wizard dominating for about twenty years).

The Wyatt family version of Bray Wyatt, and the Firefly Fun House version, would have been creepy and weird in some other TV drama/work of fiction, but in the world of wrestling I just found myself thinking "what exactly is the point of any of this?". They are prime examples of gimmicks that are actually too gimmicky for wrestling. If either of these two versions of Bray Wyatt had been used as a character in some crime drama, whereby they were serial killers or something, that would work. The problem is when you try and get this **** into the wrestling world (especially in PG era WWE), the most sinister thing these supposedly creepy characters can do is go out to the ring and have a wrestling match with someone. This is literally the only way which conflict and tribulations can ever be resolved. As a result, gimmicks which try to portray people as being genuinely ****ing unstable and eviI to the point they are cutting promos that imply they are going to basically murder someone or something are just dumb. Why on earth would these people be interested in wrestling at all?

It's the age old ****ing problem of supposedly heinous, wicked, deranged people deciding that the best way to resolve an issue/carry out their evil plan is to get in a wrestling ring and lie down on someone for 3 seconds. I mean come on. And like I say, this is a profession where you can get away with having an undead wizard and his pyromaniac monster brother, and have this seem plausible. And I knowwww this is just how wrestling is, but ergh, there are "out there" gimmicks, and then there is 3rd wall breaking ****e like Sting teaming up with RoboCop.

It's like when Chris Jericho made one of his WWE returns (the second or third one I think), where there were all those vignettes about how he was going to "destroy the world", and then what we actually got was Chris Jericho wearing a jacket with Christmas lights on it. There are exceptions to this, but if you can't at least tenuously (and this can be very tenously indeed) ground a wrestling gimmick in the context of...er... wrestling, chances are it'll be absolutely ****house.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He had a great look and fresh gimmick, and played the head of the Wyatt family well but when you're only a decent worker and you know E will **** your roll at some point it kills any enthusiasm a fan has in watching him.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
He had a great look and fresh gimmick, and played the head of the Wyatt family well but when you're only a decent worker and you know E will **** your roll at some point it kills any enthusiasm a fan has in watching him.
It's very weird. Despite not rating him myself, the E threw their weight behind him repeatedly, only to then bail out when it came to the crunch. So many times they inserted him into high profile angles, only then to job him out immediately, often making him look like a total loser in the process. It's absolutely no wonder he never went anywhere given how he just constantly lost to basically everyone. But given the amount of time they put into him, even though this was dreadfully excecuted, it's kind of strange they decided to fire him after all that.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's very weird. Despite not rating him myself, the E threw their weight behind him repeatedly, only to then bail out when it came to the crunch. So many times they inserted him into high profile angles, only then to job him out immediately, often making him look like a total loser in the process. It's absolutely no wonder he never went anywhere given how he just constantly lost to basically everyone. But given the amount of time they put into him, even though this was dreadfully excecuted, it's kind of strange they decided to fire him after all that.
He somehow managed to stay over(or at least not look like a joke) despite the repeated jobbing. Gotta give him a heap of credit for that but as a fan you couldn't get invested in him because you know E will kill all that's good about him at some point in time.