• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pro-Wrestling Thread II

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Seriously top drawer main event that though. Made up almost entirely of young up and comers who showed they can really hang with the top guys. Big thumbs up.
How much of it is because of "the guy that runs the place" Cena? From the outside the WWE seems to be so much fresher with new guys being put over all the time. Or maybe I'll start to get jaded again after a couple of years? Dunno.

duffer

Lawler's commentary hasn't been much chop since they stopped him from being the tweener/heelish commentator imo. He was gun when he was always chipping in cheering for the heel, but he's pretty bland as a good guy.
As a little kid listening to heel Lawler made me hate him. I didn't realise all the Stu Hart and Bret stuff he came out with was a work. Now as a smark I can't stand him as a face. I'd love to see Cole go heel (or has that been done?).

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Cole went full heel a few years ago. Actually ended up in a match with Lawler iirc. Was actually really good. Cole as a heel is amazing.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I missed all of CM Punk's career. He literally started as I stopped watching.

The way Bret Hart speaks of him, I missed an absolute great wrestler.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I missed all of CM Punk's career. He literally started as I stopped watching.

The way Bret Hart speaks of him, I missed an absolute great wrestler.
Bloke was absolutely top drawer in all ways tbh. Ring work was superb - had amazing matches with Jericho, Lesnar, Jeff Hardy, Cena and Taker in particular. Excellent promos. Excellent character as both heel and face. Had the crowd in the palm of his hand at all times. Bloke obvs had an attitude and a massive chip on his shoulder, but in fairness to him, you got the feeling he was a very principled guy and stuck to his guns. Above all though, he was someone who really made you sit up and take note, and actually care about what was happening. This has obvs always been an important skill for a pro-wrestler. But in the modern day, where fans are much more clued in about the way everything works, and the internet and so on, it's really rare you find anyone capable of this.

It gets a bit overplayed nowadays, but his first "pipe bomb" promo was absolutely incredible. I remember watching RAW and just could not believe what I was hearing. Well worth a watch Jono.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
"I'd like to think that this company will be better off after Vince McMahon's dead, but the fact is it's going to get taken over by his idiotic daughter and his doofus son in law"

:laugh:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Bloke was absolutely top drawer in all ways tbh. Ring work was superb - had amazing matches with Jericho, Lesnar, Jeff Hardy, Cena and Taker in particular. Excellent promos. Excellent character as both heel and face. Had the crowd in the palm of his hand at all times. Bloke obvs had an attitude and a massive chip on his shoulder, but in fairness to him, you got the feeling he was a very principled guy and stuck to his guns. Above all though, he was someone who really made you sit up and take note, and actually care about what was happening. This has obvs always been an important skill for a pro-wrestler. But in the modern day, where fans are much more clued in about the way everything works, and the internet and so on, it's really rare you find anyone capable of this.

It gets a bit overplayed nowadays, but his first "pipe bomb" promo was absolutely incredible. I remember watching RAW and just could not believe what I was hearing. Well worth a watch Jono.

Holy ****! Was that a shoot? Did they really cut his mic?

I thought he quit in 2014?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Holy ****! Was that a shoot? Did they really cut his mic?

I thought he quit in 2014?
It was a semi-worked shoot. His contract was up, and he was given the mic and told to go out and say whatever he wanted, everyone thought he would be leaving in a few weeks so they wanted to get as much hype out of it as possible. In the end he re-signed a new contract minutes before he went out to wrestle in what would otherwise have been his final WWE match (for the WWE title). It was just incredible. Watch the first 5 mins and last 5 mins or so of the below vid for context. The whole thing was just amazing.

The fact that the show was in Chicago of all places just made it perfect. The crowd were absolutely on fire for the whole thing. Man I get shivers down my spine watching this, even now.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Why's he retired? Still has years left in the tank.
Creative differences. Hates HHH. Hates Stephanie. Has lots of resentment about not being put in the WM main event. Has lots of resentment about people like Lesnar, Rock and Batista just showing up whenever they like and getting put in high profile angles.

duffer

Is there any more of that? Could be transcendent like Public Enemy imo.

edit: Seriously despite all his gripes he was seriously over before he turned on the audience. Do whatever it takes to bring him back.

Last edited: