• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* NRL 2011 Season thread

howardj

International Coach
Darren Lockyer - what a magnificent career.

Wonder if the Broncos will recruit someone to take his place.

In an ideal world, I'd love to see Quade Cooper in Broncos colours.

He'd be a revelation - not sure we could afford him though...and he is managed by Khoder Nasser.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Darren Lockyer - what a magnificent career.

Wonder if the Broncos will recruit someone to take his place.

In an ideal world, I'd love to see Quade Cooper in Broncos colours.

He'd be a revelation - not sure we could afford him though...and he is managed by Khoder Nasser.
And he can't tackle at all.

Lockyer - has any player ever won so many games for their team in the last five minutes of play? What a player he's been.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Bennett announces he's leaving the Dragons at the end of the year. I wonder if that will lift or deflate them this year. I guess it might depend on who they announce as a replacement.

Broncos and Knights seem to have the inside running for Bennett's signature. Probably Newcastle, but mentoring his good mate Lockyer with the intention to transfer the coaching role when he retires to create a second Broncos coaching dynasty could be motivation. Then again with a guy who always states he's in it for the challenge, there could be any number of clubs he's interested in.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
If he loves a challenge, he'd be heading to Penrifff

lolzer
Ind33d. Could mentor the next wave of stars with our junior nursery. Going to be an AFL team in these parts too. If he wants to defend RL's heartland against the invasion that's a great place to make a stand. Most importantly he'd help us win footy games :( Cmon Benny, you'll be so close to the 3 sisters and the sewage beauty filled Hawkesbury/Nepean river!!!!

In reality though you could make an argument case for nearly every club having a case for why Bennett should come to them. Eels for the same reason as Penrith. Souffs to get a historical giant a second wave of success 40 years after their last heyday. Sharks or Cowboys to give them their first premiership. Titans to combat the AFL incursion into GC and help a fledgling club survive in what looks like it will be a couple of lean years for them. He could take a year or two break and come back in 2013-15 when there is rumoured to be expansion clubs entering the comp.

In reality he's probably going to go for money (Newcastle) or personal reasons (Broncos)

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Pretty good defensive effort last night including 3 1on1 tackles.

Just try and score a 2nd half try against the Broncos. Just can't be done!
You guys did well, but we were absolutely abject. Our bench consisted of a front rower, a center, a winger and a hooker. Thaiaday came back from a spell and just tore through us.

Matt Elliott has had his ups and downs with this club but he's been horrifically bad in his decisions this year. Our team this week had to be one of the worst selection **** ups I've seen at my club considering who we had available and that's saying something.

Burgey

The juggernaut stirred last night with a last gasp win over the Cowboys. Well played Luke Burt in breaking the great Brett Kenny's try scoring record.

Couple of great try savers from captain Hindy last night too. Good stuff from him. A desperately needed win.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
RLW claims Craig Gower -> Parramatta.
Would be seriously weird seeing that guy in gold and blue. Good move for Parra though if he's still got it, and the reports I've heard are that he still has. Would be good for Mortimer (as long as he doesn't take him out drinking), and I reckon we might see Morts actually grow as a player if he actually has a real halfback next to him. Gower was as tough as halfbacks come, and you would hope some of that rubs off on a kid. They'd be halfway to a good spine at that point tbh.

Doubt it will happen though. Why would Gower spend all this time in Union only to go back to League months before participating in the pinnacle of his adopted game?

Geez the man could party though.

Craig Gower - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gower was fired as Panthers captain in December 2005, after incidents at a charity golf event where he argued with several guests, groped the teenage daughter of former league player Wayne Pearce, chased Pearce's son with a bottle before vomiting on him, streaked nude around the resort, stole and crashed a golf cart, held a butter knife to the throat of a Sydney radio personality before throwing it at resort guests, and engaged in a brawl with resort security before being ejected from the official function and detained by police.
Product of a bygone era ol Gowie.

howardj

International Coach
Would be seriously weird seeing that guy in gold and blue. Good move for Parra though if he's still got it, and the reports I've heard are that he still has. Would be good for Mortimer (as long as he doesn't take him out drinking), and I reckon we might see Morts actually grow as a player if he actually has a real halfback next to him. Gower was as tough as halfbacks come, and you would hope some of that rubs off on a kid. They'd be halfway to a good spine at that point tbh.

Doubt it will happen though. Why would Gower spend all this time in Union only to go back to League months before participating in the pinnacle of his adopted game?

Geez the man could party though.
Craig Gower - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Product of a bygone era ol Gowie.
:laugh: :laugh: The weekend Jack Newton's Celebrity Golf Tournament lost its innocence.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
:laugh: :laugh: The weekend Jack Newton's Celebrity Golf Tournament lost its innocence.
Heh indeed. If he comes back one of the highlights for me would be seeing him come up against Pearce. I can't imagine they have a particularly high opinion of each other.

Last edited:

morgieb

Eels denied that they are interested in Gower. Why I dunno - they BADLY need halves.

howardj

International Coach
Yeah, if they go for washed up blokes like Webb, McGuire and Walker...surely Gower is worth a punt. He's a good player who fills a gaping void in their team.