• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L. Thread II

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Benchy, obviously Goldstein is your best ruckman, but reckon it's pretty tough on him doing it 85-90% game time whenever he does it. You reckon anything will change with the set up this year, maybe rest him more?

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nah we're at our best with him doing most of the work. I understand that yeah on paper it looks exhausting, but Goldstein thrives on it and when he's only doing 50% like he was at times with McIntosh when he was fit, we were poor and he was poor. May have even got dropped from memory during that period.

Our best asset is our midfield and clearance work. We were #1 in the league in clearance differential last year. That ain't broken.

Having said that, if Majak Daw can be AFL standard, which he is nowhere near at the moment it would improve us because he's more dominant in the ruck than Petrie.

I do know that Brad Scott is pushing for a second ruckman but it can only be Daw/Petrie.

benchmark00

Heard tonight that Curry is the only player on a list who was picked up in 2006 who hasn't played an AFL game.

Says a lot.

ajdude

International Coach
well no ****, i can't imagine there'd be many players on lists who were drafted back then who hasn't played an AFL game. although it was a fair effort being on sydney's senior list for 5 years without playing a game

ajdude

International Coach
hey did you know that Currie is the only player on a list who was picked up in 2006 who hasn't played an AFL game? says a lot imo

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Nah we're at our best with him doing most of the work. I understand that yeah on paper it looks exhausting, but Goldstein thrives on it and when he's only doing 50% like he was at times with McIntosh when he was fit, we were poor and he was poor. May have even got dropped from memory during that period.

Our best asset is our midfield and clearance work. We were #1 in the league in clearance differential last year. That ain't broken.

Having said that, if Majak Daw can be AFL standard, which he is nowhere near at the moment it would improve us because he's more dominant in the ruck than Petrie.

I do know that Brad Scott is pushing for a second ruckman but it can only be Daw/Petrie.
If I had to pick NM's side to win me a game tomorrow, I'd be taking Goldstein in the ruck every time. Just reckon there were some games where he was blowing up towards the end and that maybe the team that is your "best side" with him doing all the work isn't your best one over a season.

Obviously it's still working well with those stats, but even something like the option to run Goldy ragged till three quarter time and then sub him off, there's no real option there.

benchmark00

If I had to pick NM's side to win me a game tomorrow, I'd be taking Goldstein in the ruck every time. Just reckon there were some games where he was blowing up towards the end and that maybe the team that is your "best side" with him doing all the work isn't your best one over a season.

Obviously it's still working well with those stats, but even something like the option to run Goldy ragged till three quarter time and then sub him off, there's no real option there.
I understand and in theory you're right, but history has suggested he's been able to do it pretty well. I think as long as you have good defensive structures in place (which NMFC doesn't a lot of the time) you should be able to save him plenty of running by having someone like Hanson pick up the opposition ruck when he floats forward.

We're too tall as it is. Goldstein, Petrie, Black and Tarrant/Daw. The Dish is good enough in the ruck for the time being.

We have bigger fish to fry, like learning how to set up defensively.

Spikey

a regular paddy ryder, that ****

benchmark00

Haven't heard anything Brumbo. Feel free to set something up.

I love his Dad as much as the next bloke, but does Carlton see something in Josh Bootsma that I am completely missing?