• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A.F.L. Thread II

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah you'll probs get draft picks or something.
I really should be more disappointed about losing Lake, but I'm so ****ing pissed with the way he's gone about this year he can bugger off for all I care. We're ****ed for a good five years anyway, so he's just clogging up space and not giving a ****.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Whens free agency coming in btw? cbf l00king it up.

Also, can someone explain to me this Arizona business? How will it help people's injuries heal? I understand that high altitude enables a player to get a higher fitness base, but how does it help speed up the recovery? Or is the theory more of a case of training with an injury over there is more beneficial than training with an injury here?

Given that it takes 2/3 days of aclimatising each way, I find it weird how they'll get much benefit. But meh.

benchmark00

I really should be more disappointed about losing Lake, but I'm so ****ing pissed with the way he's gone about this year he can bugger off for all I care. We're ****ed for a good five years anyway, so he's just clogging up space and not giving a ****.
Yeah, beneficial for both parties if he goes elsewear at this stage.

Seems like something is really toxic down there. I know there was gooch loads of bad blood between Eagleton and Lake, and I wonder if that's extended elsewhere.

I know team mates don't have to be best mates, McLeod and Edwards didn't speak to each other for their last ten years or something, but it has to have some form of detrimental effect.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
I mean you can't really tell from the outside, but there's a buttload of problems and the club needs a clean out. It's clear that a number of the players aren't up to it and Eade is cooked. Problem with that is that we don't have the dough to throw around to replace Rocket with anyone quality, and considering the way this club works they'll go with Leon Cameron instead of anyone any good.

benchmark00

I mean you can't really tell from the outside, but there's a buttload of problems and the club needs a clean out. It's clear that a number of the players aren't up to it and Eade is cooked. Problem with that is that we don't have the dough to throw around to replace Rocket with anyone quality, and considering the way this club works they'll go with Leon Cameron instead of anyone any good.
Would be romantic if Malthouse went there and finished where he started. Neil Craig will no doubt apply if he steps down from Adelaide.

I think the way football is trending, a young coach, who is external to the club (I think this is crucial), is ideal if you want to change the direction of the club. Is there another Scott twin out there?

As is almost always the case with coaching appointments, it'll be someone basically noone has even considered. How many threw Dean Bailey's name up when the Melbourne job became vacant?

Spikey

Whens free agency coming in btw? cbf l00king it up.

Also, can someone explain to me this Arizona business? How will it help people's injuries heal? I understand that high altitude enables a player to get a higher fitness base, but how does it help speed up the recovery? Or is the theory more of a case of training with an injury over there is more beneficial than training with an injury here?

Given that it takes 2/3 days of aclimatising each way, I find it weird how they'll get much benefit. But meh.
I think Arizona business is to do with the facilities that help injures there rather than altitude but i dunno know. seems silly to me

benchmark00

Tonight's AFL Insider show on Fox Sports was incredible. The analysis of the evolution of the forward press over the last 2.5 years was brilliant.

Brad Scott is a dead set legend.
Watched this late last night. Was a really good illustration of something which is hard to explain to people.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Surely $12 on David Swallow to win the Rising Star is amazing value?

Yes Heppell and Zac Smith are deservedly favourites, but I can't help but think that Swallow's price is based on the fact he hasn't been nominated. That's ******** if so, because its obvious he will be nominated at some point.

He's having a very good season, and is chalking up clearances every game. Surely a chance.

At the very least back him at $12 and hedge your bet later when he falls in price after being nominated.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
I think Smith at $5 is over the odds. He's a freak.

The only uncertainty in that is if he were to get suspended.

Ordinarily the Victorian media darling (Heppell) would be hard to beat but I think a few of the judges will be keen to give it to a GC player...

Also, anyone wonder what bearing the Coaches' Award votes have on the Rising Star? Current leaders are Shuey (15), Heppell (8) and Smith (7) from the Rising Star crop, but I can't believe Shuey would get over the other two.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
but I think a few of the judges will be keen to give it to a GC player...
That's another factor I've been thinking of.

I think Swallow will definitely push. And he's only going to get better as the season goes on IMO. He may tire, but I get the feeling McKenna is using his players well, understanding that they're not going to play finals. On the other hand I can see Heppell tiring.

Zac Smith was $4 on sportsbet last time I checked. Where did you see $5 Casson? Those are awesome odds.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
That's another factor I've been thinking of.

I think Swallow will definitely push. And he's only going to get better as the season goes on IMO. He may tire, but I get the feeling McKenna is using his players well, understanding that they're not going to play finals. On the other hand I can see Heppell tiring.

Zac Smith was $4 on sportsbet last time I checked. Where did you see $5 Casson? Those are awesome odds.
Luxbet - I've actually been thinking about this all afternoon at work (slow day).

Tbh I like Swallow and I want to see what everyone else does in him, but nothing he's really done this year screams superstar to me. Very well-rounded player with no flaws and a super professional but I think he's on a slow-burn at the moment, and the RS usually goes to someone who bursts out of the blocks and holds it all year.

I'm trying not to sound like I'm criticising him but I just think he's about right in the market, although as you say, if he gets nominated he will come in - especially if he gets nominated on the back of a blinder (as opposed to a slow week for the young guys where they just give it to someone who's been thereabouts all season).

Also, wrt to giving it to a GC player for the sake of publicity, I think they'd do well to emphasise the fact that the GC have a list of future stars as opposed to heaping it all on DS. Spread the load etc...