• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Rugby League Four Nations Tournament

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
On reflection, this was one of the better 4 nations of the past few seasons. Most probably because I knew some of the English players because they play NRL or are going to play NRL. England were a lot better this time around, and New Zealand were hampered by key injuries. Australia never had the feeling of dominance to me, but they never really looked out of games. I enjoyed that most games were competitive until the 60th minute, which is all you can ask for in an International game.

ripper868

International Coach
Oi Brumbles - This Tomkins fella who's playing for the Barbarians against the Wobs this weekend - what's his dealio? Crossing codes or just having a run for the fun of it?

Jacknife

International Captain
Oi Brumbles - This Tomkins fella who's playing for the Barbarians against the Wobs this weekend - what's his dealio? Crossing codes or just having a run for the fun of it?
When I first heard this I thought it was Joel Tompkins that was playing, who's just moved to Saracens from Wigan but it's Sam making a a one-off switch of codes to play for the Baa-Baas. Sam's just signed a big 5 year contract with Wigan so he isn't going anywhere but it's still strange.

Last edited:

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Widdops worth persevering with for the Poms IMO. He's been awesome at times (carved us up at Penrith Park this year) and he's learning from the best players in the game. Needs a dominant playmaker alongside him at this point (dropped off noticeably when Cronk got injured this year) as he's still learning but he's got the brain and the instincts to dominate games himself in time.

ripper868

International Coach
When I first heard this I thought it was Joel Tompkins that was playing, who's just moved to Saracens from Wigan but it's Sam making a a one-off switch of codes to play for the Baa-Baas. Sam's just signed a big 5 year contract with Wigan so he isn't going anywhere but it's still strange.
Yeah I read your original comment and thought fair enough - then looked a bit closer and had a 'hang on' sort of moment.

Very odd that a player would be pulled into a team that has so much history and staure behind it for a one off - It is normal practice to always include an uncapped test player and one from the team they are playing - Odd they have gone with Tompkins. Wish him well though, be interesting to see where he lines up.

Jacknife

International Captain
Yeah I read your original comment and thought fair enough - then looked a bit closer and had a 'hang on' sort of moment.

Very odd that a player would be pulled into a team that has so much history and staure behind it for a one off - It is normal practice to always include an uncapped test player and one from the team they are playing - Odd they have gone with Tompkins. Wish him well though, be interesting to see where he lines up.
It's even more odd imo because for the last 6 months or so, until Tomkin's extended his contract at Wigan, there was huge rumors going around that he was switching codes.
To stop him moving, the RFL have even brought a new rule in that basically allows teams to spend above the salary cap, if it entails keeping England players from defecting over to rugby union. Which was the problem all along for Wigan, they couldn't afford to beat Saracens offer and still be under the salary cap.
After all this the RFL have given him the OK to play a Union game at England's HQ. They must feel they're going to get benefits from this through publicity and having one of their own play their but it definitely took me by surprise.

ripper868

International Coach
Think the publicity things goes both ways really - Probably get a few "league" men having a look at the Barbarians game and at the least get the "union" men asking who this bloke is.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Think the publicity things goes both ways really - Probably get a few "league" men having a look at the Barbarians game and at the least get the "union" men asking who this bloke is.
Yeah. Could potentially work out for both codes. Does seem sort of weird though.

Mat Rogers and Big Dell both played for the Barbarians while they were still in league too, apparently.

ripper868

International Coach
They did indeed - though think it was when they were actually in Union. Dell in 2005 v England and Rogers v NZ in 04 and v Aus in 01