• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The MMA/UFC Thread

cnerd123

likes this
Oh ****

Night of the underdogs! DP looked tentative in the grappling exchanges. Or maybe Oliveira is just that good. Incredible

Niall

International Coach
Sucks for Dustin as he is a good dude, but at least he got 2 massive money fights with Conor this year.

Charles is very good, Justin next I assume which should be a banger.

Very enjoyable PPV.

Niall

International Coach
well that was weird.

Not sure what Ngannu does next, he obviously wants a money boxing fight but I don't see how who will firstly give him that chance and most importantly who Francis could last with.

Moreno v Figgy 4 please!

cnerd123

likes this
Yea I didn't predict Francis to wrestle his way to a decision win heh

Moreno and Figgy just need to start their own division at this point. 4th fight in a row!

Niall

International Coach
This is really bad, but I enjoy the sentiment and the fact that Dana is probably fuming because he can do absolutely nothing about it.

Niall

International Coach
So Tai just decided to bang with Lewis and not only is alive but won ??

That's a great win for him, next maybe the winner of Volkov/ Aspinall?

Unsure if he would have a chance v Stipe or Gane just yet.

Izzy seems a little bored these days which is understandable he has cleaned out the division and not many of the hype jobs such as Till have came through.

He v Cannionier will be fun, but if he wins not sure what is next after that.

Not much else I can remember from the PPV tbh.

cnerd123

likes this
I missed the pre-lims but Andrew Arlovski is still winning fights somehow?

Izzy vs Whittaker was close, I was worried he might lose on the scorecards. Whittaker got his wrestling going and landed some takedowns, I've seen enough judges use that as justification to give a fighter the round in a close fight. But right decision in the end, Izzy controlled it and did more damage. Would have been nice to see him take more risks and look for a finish, but I can see why he wanted to get the job done. Whittaker fought a good fight.

Black Beast went down swanging and banging :( Might be the start of the end for him. Hope he has a few more wins in the tank. Tai Tuivasa is fun but yea can't see him fighting for the belt anytime soon. Maybe Curtis Blaydes? Rozenstruik or Volkov would be a fun fight too.

Moicano and Cannonier both looked great, Izzy vs Cannonier could be fun. Bobby Green looked really good, 35 a bit late for a title run but hope he gets a ranked opponent.

Roxanne Modafferi retired as well, one of the pioneers of Women's MMA and a great person by all accounts. Nothing else really noteworth from the PPV.

cnerd123

likes this
Tough debut for HK's Ramona Pascual. Short notice against an upcoming prospect, tho Josiane Nunes being 5 foot 2 for a featherweight is quite remarkable.

Makhachev is a problem. Arman Tsarukyan a prospect to keep an eye on too it seems. 5 fight win streak since losing to Makhachev on debut.

Niall

International Coach
Tough debut for HK's Ramona Pascual. Short notice against an upcoming prospect, tho Josiane Nunes being 5 foot 2 for a featherweight is quite remarkable.

Makhachev is a problem. Arman Tsarukyan a prospect to keep an eye on too it seems. 5 fight win streak since losing to Makhachev on debut.
The problem for Islam is his year could be up in smoke as I assume their will be a crackdown on Russian sports people.

From what I seen looks unlikely Volkov will get a visa for his fight in the UK v Aspinall,,,,Yan and Ankalov also will be really nervous.

Arman looks very good, a lot of hype about Alvarez and shut down very quickly.

Last edited:

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
Black Beast went down swanging and banging :( Might be the start of the end for him. Hope he has a few more wins in the tank. Tai Tuivasa is fun but yea can't see him fighting for the belt anytime soon. Maybe Curtis Blaydes? Rozenstruik or Volkov would be a fun fight too.
That's how the HW world goes, one punch and game over. Hence Stipe deserves a lot more respect than he gets.

Niall

International Coach
Am I the only one who feels that the Colby-Masvidal beef is fake?

Plenty do think similarly, but a hell of a lot of work put it into it for it to be fake, don't forget Colby has gone off against Poirier and Dustin has no reason to kayfabe it up whatsoever.

This upcoming PPV with them headlining is a mess now with RDA v Fizzy off ,,its not ugly but feels like a stacked fight night card outside main event.

Actually looking forward to the next PPV more,,,hopefully Yan is allowed to fight and Chimaev v Burns is 100% confirmed.

cnerd123

likes this
I'll still watch UFC 272, but mainly cuz I have BT Sports + Fightpass and am not paying PPV rates :ph34r:

Kevin Holland and Edson Barboza are always fun, plus hope to see Greg Hardy get beat again. Plus I'm a big Masvidal fan, hope he kills Colbly.

I think the beef is real, but worried the fight could just be a wrestle**** win for Colby. Hope I'm wrong and we get a good show.

Year UFC 273 looks great, assuming the Russians get to fight...

cnerd123

likes this
Kevin Holland! I'm a huge fan.

Moicano getting beat the **** up here. Clear size disadvantage, RDA's still a beast. Shouldn't let him back in for the 3rd round IMO.

Niall

International Coach
No reason for this to be a five rounder and yep should have been stopped earlier, that will have taken some time of his career sadly.

Happy for Moroz as obviously their was genuine hatred with her and Agrapova and the situation regarding her country made it all the more emotional.

Hardy getting knocked out was lovely and that should be his final fight with the UFC, useless and obviously a dire person.

Some nice finishes but its been a very much a 3/5 type PPV so far.

cnerd123

likes this
Masvidal getting beat up predictably. Colby using takedown feints to open up his striking. Disappointing. Masvidal is a fun personality but not an elite UFC fighter. He hasn't shown much urgency when he's standing, tho he has taken a clean eye poke and low blow from Colby already.

Niall

International Coach
Mas has done really well to drag out his 15 mins of fame after the KO of Askren and he unlike so many knows how to market himself but yeah ignore all the smoke and mirrors he's a journeyman and he has been dominated here.

Mike5181

International Captain
It's kind of crazy how long he's been fighting. He made his MMA debut in like 2003 when Gary Kirsten, Steve Waugh, Chris Cairns, Heath Streak were still playing test cricket.

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
Masvidal getting beat up predictably. Colby using takedown feints to open up his striking. Disappointing. Masvidal is a fun personality but not an elite UFC fighter. He hasn't shown much urgency when he's standing, tho he has taken a clean eye poke and low blow from Colby already.
Mas has done really well to drag out his 15 mins of fame after the KO of Askren and he unlike so many knows how to market himself but yeah ignore all the smoke and mirrors he's a journeyman and he has been dominated here.
I disagree here.

Fighters like Jorge and Cerrone have been out there forever and they've been in some absolute wars. If you look at their age/longevity, it's actually quite impressive that they are still out there looking competitive. Jorge has 51 MMA fights and Cerrone has been in 52 bouts. Both should have retired a couple of fights back IMO because they are 37 and 38 respectively and the body can't go on forever with so much wear and tear, but they've displayed top-level skills and have wins over some big names.

Look at Woodley, one bad fight against Usman and he just lost it mentally, Cerrone and Masvidal have time and again made big comebacks after having 1-2 bad fights. Guys like Jorge and Cerrone are in the league of their own, although I do think that they should stop tarnishing their legacy by carrying on just for the love of the sport.

Last edited: