• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The MMA/UFC Thread

Niall

International Coach
Maybe calling him a journeyman is harsh :ph34r:

So at this moment the 3 biggest draws in the UFC are probably Mc Gregor, Nate and Jorge who all don't have many fights left so how do you maximise them ?

Jorge v Nate seems like an easy fight to make and would do good business, Jorge v Conor would be absolute murder but its probably the biggest money fight in the UFC right now.

What does Colby do now? I think he wants no part of Chimaev, and he doesn't seem interested in fighting guys like Edwards or Luque as he is seems fixated on the money fights which is understandable as he has just headlined 2 PPV'S.

However what are the money fights for him? Dustin does not want to fight him , Izzy seems to have an eye on Usman if he retains v JC so what's left?
Usman III makes sense but I don't see it happening for a few years.

cnerd123

likes this
I'd be happy for Colby to fade away into obscurity tbh. Good fighter but not particularly fun to watch and not a good person. If he wants another crack at the belt he should fight one of Burns/Leon/Khamzat/Luque.

Jorge destroys either Nate or Conor. Might be better for the UFC to use his name value to put over other ranked Welterweights. He'd match up well with Magny, Chiesa, Geoff Neal, even Li Jingliang. Could do a Wonderboy rematch, feed him to Khamzat, or even give him the Leon Edwards fight - there is some beef there IIRC. Plenty of good fights that can be made off his name, doesn't need a title run or to fight up or down a weightclass.

I think Nate/Conor end their careers with the trilogy. No other fights left for either of them that makes sense. They're getting older and the game is moving past them.

Izzy vs Usman would be very interesting. Is Usman willing to move up? He's pretty big for WW, tho Izzy has fought at LHW.

Lightweight seems to have stalled a bit. Hyped for Oliveira vs Gaetjhe but don't know what else is planned for the rest of the Top 5/10.

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
I'd be happy for Colby to fade away into obscurity tbh. Good fighter but not particularly fun to watch and not a good person. If he wants another crack at the belt he should fight one of Burns/Leon/Khamzat/Luque.

Jorge destroys either Nate or Conor. Might be better for the UFC to use his name value to put over other ranked Welterweights. He'd match up well with Magny, Chiesa, Geoff Neal, even Li Jingliang. Could do a Wonderboy rematch, feed him to Khamzat, or even give him the Leon Edwards fight - there is some beef there IIRC. Plenty of good fights that can be made off his name, doesn't need a title run or to fight up or down a weightclass.

I think Nate/Conor end their careers with the trilogy. No other fights left for either of them that makes sense. They're getting older and the game is moving past them.

Izzy vs Usman would be very interesting. Is Usman willing to move up? He's pretty big for WW, tho Izzy has fought at LHW.

Lightweight seems to have stalled a bit. Hyped for Oliveira vs Gaetjhe but don't know what else is planned for the rest of the Top 5/10.
Izzy vs Usman is not happening, Izzy is quite clear about that.

And I still think Colby is just acting, he's not a douche in real life. This Jorge vs Colby thing still looks fake AF. Both guys have figured out how to get the fans interested and they've been using that in their last few fights.

Regarding Khamzat, he is still a hype train, he hasn't been tested yet although he is clearly good enough to fight people in the top 10. I still think he should take his time like Sean O'Malley instead of fighting with out and out experienced fighters. Colby and Leon will destroy him, Jorge might also be a tough opponent for him.

cnerd123

likes this
And I still think Colby is just acting, he's not a douche in real life.
This is real life. You are your actions. He wants to be a horrible person then he is, by all definitions, a horrible person, and I'll be perfectly happy not to see him fight anymore.

Khamzat would destroy Masvidal. He's got no wrestling.

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
This is real life. You are your actions. He wants to be a horrible person then he is, by all definitions, a horrible person, and I'll be perfectly happy not to see him fight anymore.

Khamzat would destroy Masvidal. He's got no wrestling.
You never know. Nothing much to gain here for Khamzat in the first place since Masvidal is on a losing streak and is at the fag end of his career(hope he retires). Also, Masvidal has great takedown defence and has fought big names and proved himself, Khamzat is just too green, so you really can't say, too big a risk for him.

cnerd123

likes this
pretty clear from watching the two of them fight lately that Khamzat would beat Masvidal. He's the bigger guy too, has fought up at 185 while Masvidal has fought down at 155 before.

Would be a worthwhile fight for Khamzat but can't see Masvidal taking it.

karan_fromthestands

State Captain
pretty clear from watching the two of them fight lately that Khamzat would beat Masvidal. He's the bigger guy too, has fought up at 185 while Masvidal has fought down at 155 before.

Would be a worthwhile fight for Khamzat but can't see Masvidal taking it.
Masvidal has fought top 2 guys in his last 2 fights, not saying he has done particularly well but Khamzat has fought no one of note. It's just too much risk for both dudes, seriously nothing to gain for either of them and tough to predict that Khamzat would dominate him when he is yet to be tested.

Niall

International Coach
Colby is an odd one. I had warmed to him a little over last few months as he was funny in a childish sort of way.

"GREETINGS NERDS AND VIRGINS" etc but the stuff about Dustin's kid is pretty rotten really and I can't blame Dustin for not wanting to fight him and allow him to make money of such talk. I think he was playing a character but has gone way to method sadly.

Regarding his combat skills, he is very good clearly, but his lack of power is an issue.

Regarding Masvidal, maybe Luque would be a fun match for the BMF belt. Both would stand and bang and Luque deserves a high profile fight.

Mas has signed a juicy contract as I assume Dana is terrified of having his top guys getting murdered by Paul so he won't be retiring .

I dunno maybe Dana will get the hump and fed him to killers so when he leaves it won't matter much if Jake kills him.

Niall

International Coach
Fun fight card that from the UK . Only watched the Jack Shore fight on the prelims which was fun as expected.
Main card all nice finishes (did not watch the Gunnar fight) ,,,Pimblett can be annoying but to be fair due to his personality he is a serious draw in the UK so he is doing something right. The concern is though how many bums can this guy fight before punters start demanding he fight someone decent?

Nice win from Allen, but Hooker is probably finished now.

On the main event, that was excellent from Aspinall, its a brief UFC career so far but the dude has handled business nicely.

He called out Tai which would be a banger of a fight.

cnerd123

likes this
So apparently Masvidal sucker punched Colby outside a restaurant. Broke his tooth. Charges might be filed.

On the one hand, Masvidal sucker punching people is cheap and pathetic and a bad look on the UFC. Professional fighters should behave better. On the other hand, can't think of anyone who deserves that more then Colby heh.

Niall

International Coach
Jorge stalked him on twitter then masked up (who knew he was zero covid) then with a group sucker punched him then ran off bragged on social media and deleted that tweet as the lawyers got involved. LOL.

Colby is Colby, don't wish harm on him, but hopefully he may slightly tone it down for everyone's sake, their is room for a MAGA heel in the company but not so horrible.

Niall

International Coach
Zombie:(

He was game but out of his depth sadly, hopefully he has made enough money to retire, because that dude has been in serious wars.

Volk is so good tbf.

Chimaev Burns was the fight of the night though, absolute war. Khamzat is a beast but he is hittable , I don't think Usman will be as worried as he was before this.

I don't think Colby will want anything to do with him though no matter what Dana says, he may even go up a division to avoid that .

Rest of the card was solid enough, the Garry Irish kid while harmless is so cringe doing rhe Conor impression.

Niall

International Coach
Islam v Charles ASAP thanks.

Chandler is so gloriously goofy and over the top and ultimately box office, not sure what he does next but it will be certainly be fun.

Tony probably should retire, but its unlikely sadly. I fear for him in the future.

No idea what Rose was up to .........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

cnerd123

likes this
Didn't watch the fights but sounds like I missed a real stinker in Rose vs Esparza?

Oliveira is great but calls for him being the GOAT lightweight are a bit premature.

Yea Tony is done :(

Niall

International Coach
I doubt it will do good money ppv wise as few superstars on the main card, but that was a banger of a PPV.

Santos I had money on so a little biased, but I think Val sadly edged it although the 49-46 call LOL.

War Joanna.

Main event was a banger, Glover had a few brainfades and was only 30 seconds away from the win, looking forward to Jiri defending his title.