• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rugby Union All-Time Draft

ripper868

International Coach
How do we decide who has the best side?

Seems like a stalemate to me.

EDIT: Oh, and Somerset -- Jean-Pierre Rives was an openside flanker, just letting you know in case you choose two 7s.
Simple, we all get together and play coin rugby until we're merry and pissed.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Really need a hooker & a scrum-half, but am going with Christian Cullen. One of the most sumptuously gifted three-quarters I've ever seen and could've had an even more stunning career with fewer injuries and more sympathetic coaches than Hart & Mitchell.

ripper868

International Coach
Really need a hooker & a scrum-half, but am going with Christian Cullen. One of the most sumptuously gifted three-quarters I've ever seen and could've had an even more stunning career with fewer injuries and more sympathetic coaches than Hart & Mitchell.
you backline is looking deathly already...horan and cullen :drool:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
you backline is looking deathly already...horan and cullen :drool:
He lucky I didn't catch him out on skipping me and take Cullen him. Cullen was going to be my pick. Oh well, the thing I like about this draft is the research not putting together the best possible side.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
I'll pick Ian Kirkpatrick at no.6. I'd have picked him earlier, but I'd have been equally happy with either Kirkpatrick or Tremain, so I figured once someone picked one of them, I'd take the other. There's also one more blindside I would be OK with picking (an underrated great who hasn't been picked yet), but I've gone for Kirkpatrick because he constantly is placed in all-time All Black XV's and even all-time XV's. Kirkpatrick scored a ridiculous try for the All Blacks against the Lions. A backrower just wasn't meant to do the things he did.

My back-row is shaping up pretty nice. Zinzan and Kirkpatrick are placed in many, many all-time XV's.

So thus far:

4. Gordon Brown
5. Willie John McBride
6. Ian Kirkpatrick
8. Zinzan Brooke
9. Ken Catchpole
10. Cliff Morgan

Francis

State Vice-Captain
Ian Jones (Lock)
I was watching old Bledisloe footage the other day and I saw Ian Jones score a try by sprinting about 50m to support Jeff Wilson. I could be wrong, but I think it was from the 1998 Bledisloe Cup game at the MCG where Matt Burke scored all 24 points (but there was a MCG match in 1997, so it might have been that). But anyway, it was just unbelievable to see how fast that man was for a lock - he covered a remarkable amount of territory and AT SPEED.

Last edited:

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Going outside the square for my loosehead prop - 18-test Argentinian prop Serafin Dengra (#1). I remember going along to Rugby Park in Hamilton to watch Waikato play an Argentinian club in the long-defunct Canz series and one of my highlights was getting to watch Dengra who had gained a cult following on his nation's tour of NZ in 1989, mainly because of his eerie similarity to the WWF wrestler The Ultimate Warrior. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find a close-up pic from his playing days, but you get the idea from these pics.

As has long been the case with Argentian rugby, their scrums have been outstanding up until recently at least (I was disappointed by their scrum at the 2007 RWC). This is mainly due to the 8-man shove/scrummaging technique known as the Bajada, employed to outstanding effect by Los Pumas since the 1960s. Dengra's vintage of Argentinian forwards was no different.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
"It’s part of rugby folklore what Argentina did to us in the forwards that July 31 at Ballymore. They bled us to death in the scrum with more power and technique than any of our forwards had ever experienced before. Not the All Blacks, the French or any of the Home nations had ever shown anything like this. It was frightening at times. You’d hear them call in the scrums for a ‘bajada’, then suddenly you’d feel this immense thrust coming through the scrum and we’d all start skidding uncontrollably backwards like we were being pushed by some mechanical monster. The long, deep tear marks in the Ballymore turf as we fought desperately to keep our grip were there for days later, as a never-to-be-forgotten reminder of Argentina’s Herculean scrum. Never in my 50-odd Tests have I experienced an opposing scrum as destructive as that." – Simon Poidevin ‘For Love Not Money’ p. 73

But of course Dengra wasn't the prop the Aussies considered the cornerstone of that scrum...

99*

International Debutant
Right, been 12 hours for Perm.

Jean Prat French flanker, scored 139 points in 51 games.

Francis

State Vice-Captain
Ew, good choice. I haven't selected an openside yet because after Michael Jones there were a few names I was happy to have as second to him. Winterbottom, Slattery and Prat were among those names. I really didn't think anybody would think to choose Prat. I'll have to think about what your potential choices are before selecting next 99*. Out of everybody in this thread, you're the one who keeps on stealing the players I want.

Voltman,

Out of curiousity, how'd you come across that website on the bajada? I'm wondering if that website has other writings on the nuts and bolts of the scrum, but more traditional scrums (ie. where the second rowers binds inbetween the legs). That was a good little article that carves out the finer points of bajada that I hadn't read before - a very interesting read indeed.

Last edited:

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Graham Mourie (#7).

Ripper I think you said that Rives was an openside (#7), though he seems to have played many of his test matches on the blindside (#6).

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Voltman,

Out of curiousity, how'd you come across that website on the bajada? I'm wondering if that website has other writings on the nuts and bolts of the scrum, but more traditional scrums (ie. where the second rowers binds inbetween the legs). That was a good little article that carves out the finer points of bajada that I hadn't read before - a very interesting read indeed.
Just Googled this - Argentina scrum bajada - Google Search

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Jean-Pierre Rives was an openside flanker. The French are just a little different with their jersey numbers, like the Boks.
Ah ok - I understood that the French played "left and right" flankers on the scrum rather than "openside and blindside". Either way we'll play two opensides, at least the jersey numbers won't need any adjusting. :happy: