Cricket Player Manager
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tennis Commentary and why it stinks

I hate that attitude.

Criticise women for hitting more unforced errors per winner if you like, as that is a controllable aspect of their tennis. But if you have a crack at them because they don't hit as hard or run as fast, then you've missed the point.

Additionally a lot of players in men's tennis could learn a thing or two from a few women's players with regards to how to fight when the pressure is on and you look gone in a match. Novak, Tsonga, Ferrer and Blake, among others, are not even as close to as mentally tough as Serena is, or Martina and Graf used to be.
    Last edited by Jono; 29-01-2009 at 06:55 AM.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

International Regular Bobisback's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Additionally a lot of players in men's tennis could learn a thing or two from a few women's players with regards to how to fight when the pressure is on and you look gone in a match. Novak, Tsonga, Ferrer and Blake, among others, are not even as close to as mentally tough as Serena is, or Martina and Graf used to be.
    So could the whole of the Womens circuit other than Serena Williams (and Venus I guess).
    Quote Originally Posted by Partyush
    I didn't call you a fat bitch. So pipe down.

Thing is Jono, outside of Fed, Nadal and Serena & Venus themselves, there's hardly a player on both circuits who couldn't learn a great deal from them re: mental strength.

Note, I'm not having a go at womens tennis, but I don't think that argument holds much strength as a reason to why it's a good spectacle.
    Last edited by Johnners; 29-01-2009 at 05:01 PM.
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    I hate that attitude.

Criticise women for hitting more unforced errors per winner if you like, as that is a controllable aspect of their tennis. But if you have a crack at them because they don't hit as hard or run as fast, then you've missed the point.

It's just shocking to watch. A really, really poor spectacle. I don't see why people are interested in watching a game that's just like the men's circuit apart from the fact that it:

1. is half as fast
    2. contains no attacking strokeplay whatsoever as noone will come anywhere near the net
    3. features horrific glass-piercing screams every time someone hits a shot
    4. is of a lower quality in pretty much every conceivable way- more unforced errors, less winners, matches only last three sets.

If you tell me "ooh but women are all dainty, you couldn't expect little girls to run as fast as big strong men!!!!" then you're missing the point. Because none of the qualifying you feel you have to give to the ****ness of the game makes it any less painfully bad to watch. I have plenty of respect for some women's tennis players, they've taken up a hobby and got to the very top of it. But in terms of a spectacle, it's like sticking pins in my eyes.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

State 12th Man
    I liked Mats Wilander's commentary stint at the US open last year. Navratilova too is pretty interesting. Neither of them bother with the usual descriptive commentary stuff.

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Isolator View Post
    I liked Mats Wilander's commentary stint at the US open last year. Navratilova too is pretty interesting. Neither of them bother with the usual descriptive commentary stuff.
    Yeah, I quite like Wilander and most of the Eurosport and Sky tennis commentary teams. Wilander's understated delivery is a welcome antidote to the (contractual?) hyperbole and unremitting inanity of - say - 95% of football (soccer) commentators.

Tottenham were 2-0 down to Bolton halfway through the 2nd half on Saturday when - in a sudden flash of inspiration - the excited commentator suggested that "the next goal will be crucial".

And they pay these people!

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    It's just shocking to watch. A really, really poor spectacle. I don't see why people are interested in watching a game that's just like the men's circuit apart from the fact that it:

1. is half as fast
    2. contains no attacking strokeplay whatsoever as noone will come anywhere near the net
    3. features horrific glass-piercing screams every time someone hits a shot
    4. is of a lower quality in pretty much every conceivable way- more unforced errors, less winners, matches only last three sets.

If you tell me "ooh but women are all dainty, you couldn't expect little girls to run as fast as big strong men!!!!" then you're missing the point. Because none of the qualifying you feel you have to give to the ****ness of the game makes it any less painfully bad to watch. I have plenty of respect for some women's tennis players, they've taken up a hobby and got to the very top of it. But in terms of a spectacle, it's like sticking pins in my eyes.
    On this topic - how many more Fed/Rafa classics need to come 24 hours after a women's final that's over in 58 ****ing minutes before it stops being funny that they get equal prizemoney?
    Member of the Twenty20 is Boring Society

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    C'mon Man U.
    RIP Craigos

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Yeah it's a deadset disgrace that they get paid the same. I'd like to see what justification whatever the tennis ruling board gives for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Cricketer Of The Year ripper868's Avatar
    Some appeal based on discrimination or something....equal pay for equal work i say...i mean in the slams the shortest a mens match can be is 3 sets whereas that is the longest a womens can be....it does not make sense. [wookie howl]
    Parmi

Avatar now by choice. 5-0 in the Ashes and all.

So should we start paying the blacks and hispanics less as well?

jk ftr
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    So should we start paying the blacks and hispanics less as well?

jk ftr
    Disgrace we're paying them at all tbh.
    True, a Duffer "heh" is like 50 likes.

Quote Originally Posted by duffer View Post
    Disgrace we're paying them at all tbh.
    I wasn't aware you are the C.E.O. of tennis Australia

I'm full of surprises.

no doubt...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123