• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All-time football misses

Craig

World Traveller
Now that football is a popular past time for members on here, care to add some of your favourite misses in front of goal? This one should take care of a lot of lot of them, look for Kanu's miss after 0:48.

Here you go

Credit for this thread should go to BB and Corrin for giving me this idea and Chris Iwelumo

BoyBrumby

Englishman
:laugh: Some absolute gold in there. Nice to see Forlan & dear old Ronnie Rosenthal get the credit they deserve too.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The game is best remembered for Maradona's cheating & stupendously overrated second goal (he avoids two half-arsed attmepts at a tackle, BFD), but Gary Lineker's miss from a header one yard from the goal in the 1986 WC QF is quite special, particularly given the context (i.e. 2-1 down with five minutes left). :dry:

YouTube. Really long clip, I'm afraid. Watch from about 9.50 onwards tho.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The game is best remembered for Maradona's cheating & stupendously overrated second goal (he avoids two half-arsed attmepts at a tackle, BFD), but Gary Lineker's miss from a header one yard from the goal in the 1986 WC QF is quite special, particularly given the context (i.e. 2-1 down with five minutes left). :dry:

YouTube. Really long clip, I'm afraid. Watch from about 9.50 onwards tho.
Lineker didn't touch it. It's the greatest ever goal-line clearance IMO. When you see it zoomed in, the Argentine deliberately dived in front of it then flicked his head back to keep it out.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Lineker didn't touch it. It's the greatest ever goal-line clearance IMO. When you see it zoomed in, the Argentine deliberately dived in front of it then flicked his head back to keep it out.
Yeah, I think you're right there. Think that's just an awesome bit of defending.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I misread the title and went looking for pics to post itbt

Can't find a link, should be out there somewhere as it has featured heavily on DVDs and stuff, the worst I've seen in person was when Scott Taylor brilliantly rounded the Ipswich keeper in a 3rd round FA Cup tie in January 99. It was such a fantastic piece of skill. Only thing was, he then hit the post with the goal in front of him.

He failed to connect with one when in a similar position five minutes later as well.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
That last one on the link posted by Craigos is a belter. I couldn't work out how the guy was gonna miss short of turning round and clearing it himself. Madness.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Gazza Euro 96 is the one that always haunts me, christ alive.

The Giggs FA cup vs Arsenal miss was one I still find hard to believe, having rounded Campbell and Seaman how he somehow put it over the bar I have never quite worked out.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The Gazza one is not that much of a stinker, just that he couldn't get his foot on the ball. Think it was Golden Goal at the time as well.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
No, you're right, he didn't touch it (we got the corner), but he bloody well should've done. Shearer or Sir Les would've scored. Gary never was much cop in the air.

Not quite the same level as those Craig posted, but I remember it vividly because of the context.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The Gazza one is not that much of a stinker, just that he couldn't get his foot on the ball. Think it was Golden Goal at the time as well.
Yeah indeed, it's not so much that he blew it, just that it was literally that had he got a whisker more of a touch on it so much could have been different...sigh.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Jason Roberts against Bayer Leverkusen doesn't seem to be there. I almost cried when Roberts missed from three yards out.

Also miss number 20 from Kieran Dyer isn't that bad.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
The Giggs FA cup vs Arsenal miss was one I still find hard to believe, having rounded Campbell and Seaman how he somehow put it over the bar I have never quite worked out.
The Giggs one is one of the worst IMO, he had bags of time, whereas misses such as Iwelumo are at least mitigated (albeit only very slightly) by the fact that the ball came at him awkwardly (though this still wouldn't have been a problem had he had a left foot). Misses such as Rosenthal's also fit into the Giggs category IMO.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No, you're right, he didn't touch it (we got the corner), but he bloody well should've done. Shearer or Sir Les would've scored. Gary never was much cop in the air.

Not quite the same level as those Craig posted, but I remember it vividly because of the context.
Bit harsh. It was the best piece of defending i've ever seen.