• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official NBA Thread***

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A judge sentenced Denver Nuggets guard J.R. Smith(notes) to 90 days in jail Tuesday night for causing an auto accident that killed his friend, though Smith will likely end up serving only 30.

Municipal Judge Debra J. Gelson suspended 60 days of the sentence providing Smith performs 500 hours of community service consisting of visiting sick children at hospitals.

Smith, who starred at Lakewood High School and St. Benedict's Prep in Newark, admitted driving an SUV through a stop sign and colliding with a car in Millstone Township, about 20 miles east of Trenton, in June 2007. Passenger Andre Bell later died from his injuries.

A grand jury declined to indict Smith, but he faced five motor vehicle violations and pleaded guilty to reckless driving Tuesday.

Bell's family has filed a wrongful death suit against Smith.

Smith, a 6-foot-6 guard, recently finished his fifth NBA season and averaged 15 points per game for Denver

From Yahoo. When you look at what he did 30-90 days is ridiculously lenient. Bloke really is a crack baby. Couldn't have complained if he had gotten much harsher..

duffer

DETROIT - A person with the knowledge of the negotiations says the Detroit Pistons have agreed in principle to contracts with free agents Ben Gordon and Charlie Villanueva.

The person spoke to The Associated Press on Wednesday night on the condition of anonymity because NBA rules prohibit teams from announcing free agent signings until next week.

Gordon, the third pick in the 2004 draft by the Chicago Bulls, agreed to a 5-year deal for at least US$50 million.

Villanueva, the seventh overall pick by Toronto in 2006 who has played all three of his NBA season with the Milwaukee Bucks, also agreed to a five-year deal. His contract is worth at least US$35 million.

Fmd, Iverson- Hamilton-Stuckey wouldn't work for them so they decide to release AI and bring in a paupers version of him in Gordon? Hamilton trade must be in the works, once again 3/4 of a season too late for Dumars. This is a ******** signing.

Charlie V is a great pickup though, he'll take Amir's + some of Dice's minutes and be a massive upgrade for them. Especially on a 7m contract.

duffer

Reckon they could all D up if they wanted to. They quit on Curry and Dumars last season. With Sheed gone, they still need a new Centre. Rip for an Okafor seems a very possibly trade for them to make.

Also, the Clippers found a taker for Zach Randolph. Gone to Memphis for Q-Brick. Honeslty, they get rid of their All-Star franchise power forward who's lead them to the playoffs three times so they can make cap room for Zach ****ing Randolph. Goddamn I hate that team so much.

The Clippers now have $20 million in cap space for next summer, even after adding Griffin's salary.

Baron Davis / Mike Taylor
Eric Gordon
Al Thornton
Blake Griffin
Chris Kaman / DeAndre Jordan

That roster with $20 million in cap space. Hmmmmmm, if they could get something of value for Camby this year they could improve even sooner. Outlook a lot brighter for them than it has been in recent memory for mine.

Last edited:

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
RE: Gordon. Feel indifferent tbh. He was fun to watch but by not signing him we have enough cash to shop around for a big next time around. I've always harped on about his total lack of defense and how it hurts the team and I still believe it. I think we'll struggle for a while without him but we might be better off in the long run. This will also test del Negro and expose him as the **** coach that he is now that he can't set up 70% of the plays around BG. Strange move for Detroit though.

I'd be truly heart broken at this point if we lose Hinrich itbt.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Lmao at all the sports writers having a moan about Bulls not resigning BG. Kindly **** off. I'm gonna go ahead and put his signing with Detroit in the 'Made my day' section now, don't care if it blows up in my face.

duffer

A day after jumping to Detroit, Ben Gordon told a Chicago radio station Thursday that the Bulls never made a contract offer even though general manager Gar Forman claimed re-signing him was their No. 1 priority.

“I mean they didn’t pursue me at all. They didn’t even make an offer so it was pretty much a one-man race,” Gordon told ESPN Radio 1000 in Chicago.

Lol @ Bulls for not even sending a QLO sheet. No wonder he bolted. A bit muffed about these moves. Efeectively they've traded away the hear and soul of their team, ****ed off a HOF guard out of town all so they could commit $95-100m on two players who are good but never be All-Star level. Unless they can trade for a legit C, they've at best stayed even.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Any talk of whether Varejao is going to test free agency duffer?
Flatmate was playing Fight Night 4 on the PS3, it's got a ticket bar at the bottom which updates you with sports news from ESPN, apparently it came up on the ticker that he's not taken up his option.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
A day after jumping to Detroit, Ben Gordon told a Chicago radio station Thursday that the Bulls never made a contract offer even though general manager Gar Forman claimed re-signing him was their No. 1 priority.

“I mean they didn’t pursue me at all. They didn’t even make an offer so it was pretty much a one-man race,” Gordon told ESPN Radio 1000 in Chicago.

Lol @ Bulls for not even sending a QLO sheet. No wonder he bolted. A bit muffed about these moves. Efeectively they've traded away the hear and soul of their team, ****ed off a HOF guard out of town all so they could commit $95-100m on two players who are good but never be All-Star level. Unless they can trade for a legit C, they've at best stayed even.
Haha that is strange to say the least. I can understand not wanting to spend that much on him, but to not even make an offer is incompetence of PCB proportions.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Funny that part of the reason there was disturbance in the team and Skiles was fired was that he insisted on playing Gordon off the bench, and now two years and 50 odd million dollars later he'll most likely be coming off the bench for the Pistons.

duffer

Any talk of whether Varejao is going to test free agency duffer?
Dunno man. Cleveland seem to be going pretty hard at getting Sheed and Ariza(although he has apparently agreed to go to Houston), so if Varejao does opt out I'd see him as being pretty low on their priority list.

Also, just read this:

The NBA is focusing on India as their next opportunity for global growth.

India has the world's second-highest population and features a fast-growing economy.

"Our goal is to make basketball the No. 2 sport in India over the next five years," said NBA director of international development Akash Jain.

Cricket is by far the country's most popular sport.

The NBA has been visiting India since 2006 when they sent a 10-member staff to look at facilities and meet with politicians, coaches and players.

"India is a significant emerging business and basketball opportunity for us," Jain said.

:laugh:

Good luck with that lads.

duffer

Funny that part of the reason there was disturbance in the team and Skiles was fired was that he insisted on playing Gordon off the bench, and now two years and 50 odd million dollars later he'll most likely be coming off the bench for the Pistons.
They've been furiously trying to shop Rip. He was the one who was bitching about his minutes after every game last season and even told Curry that he didn't respect him as a coach. Dumars wants rid of him, asap.