• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2008-2009

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Whilst Keane's tackle was shocking, it is complete myth that it ended Haland's career.
well, though it isnt strictly speaking the absolute truth, I'd wager that had he not been on the receiving end of that "tackle" he would have gone on playing considerably longer.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Debatable, according to Haland the injury itself was on the other leg entirely, so I see little way in which they could be linked. Could be wrong.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Ahh, never knew that actually, but that said it still could have impacted heavily, if you are limping or have damage to one leg, the other can become severly damaged as a result of the shift of balance due to not walking properly... Last year when I damaged bones in my right foot I limped around for ages, because of this and the extra pressure and uneven balance on my left foot, that actually became inflamed and in more serious condition than the right...so it could be possible.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Whilst Keane's tackle was shocking, it is complete myth that it ended Haland's career.
Was easily worse than the Taylor/Eduardo thing for mine. Can't see Taylor entering that match saying to himself that he was going to destroy Eduardo.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Was easily worse than the Taylor/Eduardo thing for mine. Can't see Taylor entering that match saying to himself that he was going to destroy Eduardo.
Don't deny that at all, I for one think a lot of Arsenal fans (and some other fans in general) went way overboard with the Taylor thing.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, didnt really get calling Butt scum there, quite a good professional, keeps his nose clean, doesnt have a hissy fit whenever his contract is up, very harsh IMO. Might not be the best of players (unless you speak to Pele) but dont really find many people who are better employee's.

Smiths a violent little **** mind, and I could tell a few stories as to what he gets upto off the pitch that the press didnt get their hands on (oh the life of a prem footballer, can buy off the people tellin tales with ease)
Does he? Butt’s been arrested to the best of my knowledge at least twice. Once for your ‘typical’ nightclub fight and then for this beauty - going into a Chinese takeaway, assaulting the poor ****er who worked there and then trashing the place.

Couple of other stories which concern Butt as well (ironically something which concerns his nose) but they are unsubstantiated.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Dunno really, feeling amongst arsenal fans died down pretty quickly really, i'm sure he would get booed the next time he plays at the emirates (though that probably wont be for a while now), but then that would be the case for any player who had inflicted any serious injury on another teams player, regardless of the appalling nature of the breakage in this case. What Arsenal fans as far as I can tell are annoyed about the most, is the fact that this pretty much ended Arsenal's season, their title challenge pretty much ended with the 2-2 draw at Birmingham, and they never looked like the same side after it, was obvious they weren't going to get top spot.

FIngers crossed that he makes a full recovery though, at the moment he's doing very well apparently, in terms of healing and no infections he is looking in very good shape, though of course the acid test will be to see if he can ever get back to the level of performance he was putting in prior to his injury once he makes his full comeback.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
For that amount Man Utd would be stupid not to sell him imo, he may be the best player in the world, but with the squad they have already they could complete themselves as the best team in the world with that amount of cash, nobody is worth £100m.

Still reckon he will stay, though its strange that he's come out with these remarks so soon after last night.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Has won the Prem, FA Cup and CL with them. As it's not his childood club he may well see it as time to move on for new challenges. As far as I know he's never helped a club get promoted from League One, I think he should try this, he wouldn't have to move house as it is a relatively quick commute to PP from Manchester, in fact a lot of footballers seem to live in mid-Cheshire which is probabky actually closer.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Thank gawd that I started this thread, the other one's turned to embarrassing dreck, tbh.

Honestly I knew Cambridge fans might take it badly, but trying to blow up our nice new city centre, is going a bit far surely:ph34r:

Tom Halsey

International Coach
though its strange that he's come out with these remarks so soon after last night.
Not paying a lot of attention to them tbh, he definitely said when interviewed straight after the final, "I'm staying".

I agree, for that sort of money I'd sell up personally.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Thank gawd that I started this thread, the other one's turned to embarrassing dreck, tbh.

Honestly I knew Cambridge fans might take it badly, but trying to blow up our nice new city centre, is going a bit far surely:ph34r:

LOL on both counts

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Well the things i would like to see next season:

- England to have a solid start to WC qualifying
- Scholes coming out of retirement to represent England
- Manchester to defend hopefully two titles
- Theo Walcott playing more first team football
too add..

- English domination of the CL to continue
- English players outside the Big 4 such as Noble, Taylor, Kirkland, Heskey, Shorey, Ashton to become established first team regulars or move to better clubs.