• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

English Football: Should The Play-Offs Be Scrapped?

Should the Play-Offs Be Scraped?

• Total voters

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I'm surprised that two blokes who're fans of a code that decides its champions by play-offs are (by & large) anti them. In the NRL (& the AFL too as it goes) the team finsihing 8th in a 16 team league could be crowned champions.

I'd have just guessed play-offs would be an accepted part of your sporting culture.
Just cus something is an accepted part of sporting culture doesn't mean you have to like it. If you have to have playoff much rather the old top five system, then the current top eight systems. Also with 20 odd rounds, you need something more, as the season would be too short. There is not always enough rounds to crown a true champion.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm surprised that two blokes who're fans of a code that decides its champions by play-offs are (by & large) anti them. In the NRL (& the AFL too as it goes) the team finsihing 8th in a 16 team league could be crowned champions.

I'd have just guessed play-offs would be an accepted part of your sporting culture.
As the reasons I mentioned is that I find undeserving teams get promoted in this situation sometimes, for the same reason I am hugely against an 8 team final series in the NRL. It without doubt should be only a top 5.
Also with football leagues the season is set up to be completely fair, every team home and away so everyone has the same chance to beat the other teams the same ammount of times. In NRL and AFL in Australia you only get to play 7 or 8 of the teams twice and it can be possible you draw the top sides and a team in a similar position to you gets to play the rubbish one, hence giving an unfair advantage.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator

It definitely has been inscribed as part of our culture, hence there's always (AFAIK) been finals in our domestic soccer competition (be it NSL or the A-League).

One thing about our final 8 (especially now with the newer system we have in the AFL) is that the odds are stacked so highly in favour of those who've earnt it during the season; rarely does someone from 5-8 even make the Prelim since it's been introduced; and no-one from 5-8 has ever made the GF.

James

Cricket Web Owner
As West Ham went back to the Premiership through the Play-offs, I've got to say it's a good thing :p

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ah fair enough. Was sat in the pub with an Exeter fan, he naturally got all excited when Logan scored. My calls about Carlisle being gun were absolutely spot on, i'm better than Tisdale for the record.