• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

English Football: Should The Play-Offs Be Scrapped?

Should the Play-Offs Be Scraped?

• Total voters

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
My heart is going a hundred miles a minute. Scrap the playoffs. I'll die if I keep going through this. They're a health risk.
That goal should have calmed you down.

Magnificent comeback.

On topic: I'd agree that the 3rd placed team should get some advantage over the 6th, and at least in the Conference there's 12 days between the last semi and the first final. Maybe go to one-legged play-offs and adopt some AFL-like system. But for the most part the current system works, and no one seems greatly against it.

Last edited:

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not even going to bother gloating at the small-time-dire-footballing-*****, they don't deserve it.

Play-offs have there moments, imho.

chalky

International Debutant
You want the Play-Offs to under go Gynaecological testing? Apparently, there's a vaccine that eliminates the need for the scraping these days.

In other news, the Play-offs are a great occasion and a chance for a lower-tier team to work their way to Wembley. Eradicating the play-offs also increases the size of the area of "mid-table obscurity" on the football ladder, ensuring a greater volume of meaningless games as the season reaches it's climax.

Play-offs should be retained.
Completely agree with this. I went to Cradiff for the 1st division play off final with Hartlepool a few years (Robbed by a dodgy penalty & sending off) & it was probably the greatest day I will ever have supporting Hartlepool. We have also made the play off's on the last day of the season before making the last few games meaningfull, getting full houses increasing revenue etc. If it was just top 3 up the season would be over a lot of clubs by February.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, you shouldn't have been there anyway you bastards, seems as the team you knocked out on penalties in the semis finished 3rd to your 6th, 8 points ahead of you (with the feet off the gas for the last 6-8 games), beat you twice in the league and were clearly the better side out of the two.

Not that I am bitter or anything.

So to the question, it's a tough one for me. If I go parochially, it's a tough call. Our most recent promotion and one of our finest hours came when we beat the filth at Wembley in 91, we finished 5th to their 4th, 4 went up so yeah that promotion spot should rightfully have been theirs. And as heartbroken as I was in 93, 94 and 95 when we missed out on promotion to the Prem via the play-offs, if I look objectively we should only really have been in the hunt for promotion on one of those occasions, 95, as on the others the propsect of automatic promotion was long gone before the season's close.

My most recent play-off experience, I alluded to it above, and it for me counters the argument of "dead games" being a good reason for the play-offs to exist. There were only ever three teams that had a chance of going up automatically that season, us, Luton and Hull. Hull won at our place in early March to all but put an end to our hopes, and then last minute goals against us and for them a few weeks later made it a no-hoper. This left us in third with about 6, 7 maybe 8 games left. There was zero chance of us finishing anywhere but 3rd really, given we still had to play teams such as Stockport and Peterborough who had been unable to buy a win all season. What this made for was some of the dreariest football I had ever seen, the play-offs were in the bank, we had no chance of catching Hull, that was that. Sure, the opposite happens to teams in 11th/12th more often, but do they really deserve it over a team that hasn't been outside the top 3 since October? Hell, no. Look at Watford's recent form - admittedly they nearly missed out altogether, but their decline has been surely partly down to the end of the automatic promotion dream. League One and Two's play-off spots were all decided prior to this weekend yet the top 2 race in League One was alive, it would have been even more exciting had there been another spot going, instead what I saw at PP last Saturday was a disinterested Southend side that were going through the motions, waiting for the play-offs.

In 93-94, we finished 5th, and I mentioned earlier that we stormed into the play-offs in fantastic form, with automatic promotion long out of sight. However, under the old "3 straight up" system, we would have had a chance. Going into the last day, us, Millwall, Derby and Leicester had just home advantage in the play-offs to play for, under the old system, we would have all been battling it out for 3rd spot. Check the table out

No, I don't agree with the play-offs. But for them I probably never would have seen Nevin, Aldridge, Stevens in Tranmere shirts, but the way I see it is if you finish above a team over 46 games, you deserve to be promoted more than they do.

Having said all that, they are usually great spectacles (compared with more high-profile and usually cagey semi-finals), the best match I have ever seen as a neutral, from an entertainment POV was Sunderland-Charlton in 99, and I accept that they are here to stay. Brian Little and the Tranmere team knew at the start of the season that we needed to finish 1st or 2nd to go up automatically, and Little should have kept the players motivated, it was a complete lack of momentum that saw us lose to Hartlepool in the 1st leg, we turned it round with one of the best performances of my 17 years in support in the 2nd leg and it wasn't enough. I agree with Halsey's suggestion, though, of having 6th play 5th, the winner playing 4th, with 3rd already guaranteed a final berth, or something like that.

Oh, and I don't see how 24 teams is too many? It's just right IMO.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
It annoys me how a team that could be 1 point off automatic promotion has the same route to getting promoted as a side that could be as much as 20 points behind the 2nd place side.

cpr

International Coach
Hmm, if i was a fan of a team facing play offs (thankfully the mighty Trafford FC blazed away the pack in the NWC Top flight), after 46 games, if my team lost out on the 3rd automatic promotion spot on goal difference, i'd be ****ed, especially if they'd spanked a few no hoper teams at the tail end of the season, when we'd had to fight them when they had something to play for earlier on. Play offs give a close chasing pack behind the top 2 a chance to give it one final push, man to man, no beating weak teams contest.

I dont apply that goal difference logic to a team finishing 8th for instance, as its not quite the same, in the first example a team's pretty much good enough to go up but just miss out, just missing out on the last play off place isnt really good enough to go up IMO.

chalky

International Debutant
Yeah, you shouldn't have been there anyway you bastards, seems as the team you knocked out on penalties in the semis finished 3rd to your 6th, 8 points ahead of you (with the feet off the gas for the last 6-8 games), beat you twice in the league and were clearly the better side out of the two.

Not that I am bitter or anything.

Still can't believe we got through at Prenton Park that night TBH. We had made the play off's in 4 of the previous 5 seasons and lost in semi final every ****ing time. Including penalties against Cheltenham & conceding two injury times goals against Bristol City. I think we also lost aginst Blackpool when we were comfortably top off the teams in the play off's. So I can feel your pain a bit.

When you had scored two late goals and it went to penalties it was just going to be a combination of two of our previous Play Off disasters. We must also have had the worst penalty record of any team in the league TBH (changed now since Ritchie Barker signed).

If it's any consolation Ritchie Humphries who scored the winner I don't think has scored a penalty before or after.

Having seen both sides of the play off arguement I am definately in favour of them especially in the two lower divisions were there isn't the financial rewards for promotion. Obviosly different in the Championship were prmotion to Premiership is worth a fortune.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
We ain't won a shootout since 91, I wasn't too surprised. Ryan Taylor never missed a spot-kick for us in a match except one that he scored the rebound off, but he missed all three that he took for us in shootouts.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
tbh in the interest of fairness they perhaps should be scrapped, certainly when a team in 3rd has a vast amount of points more than the team in fourth, but similarly, you could argue that at the start of the season every team knows what they are getting into, they will know that if they dont finish second they will be subject to the play-offs, so perhaps they should have no complaints. Fairly relaxed on this issue tbh, keep or scrap them, you won't hear any grumbles from me on the Subject.

Craig

World Traveller
Reading threads like this make me wish I lived in England and supported a non-Championship side.

Anyway what about the opposite to what they have done in Italy, where the bottom two teams go down and the bottom placed 3rd and 4th have a two legged play-off to see who goes down? Mind you it would be just as much of a health risk for a fan of a team to avoid the drop or to get promoted.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
If a side won the playoff in the North 1st Division of the Northern (Unibond) Premier Conference. Does that mean they are one level off making the National Conference?

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
If a side won the playoff in the North 1st Division of the Northern (Unibond) Premier Conference. Does that mean they are one level off making the National Conference?
No - that means they are promoted to the Northern League Premier Division, which is two levels below the National Conference. (The Conference North is between the two.)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Sorry, screwed the question up there, making it nonsensical.

I understand that the lack of away goals would cause away teams to defend more, but I am just quizzical as to why home teams would be just as defensive without away goals - surely, without the worry of conceding such a vital away goal, they'd come out of their shells more and look to make the most of their home advantage?
In fairness to the idea, there's nothing intrinsic in abandoning the away goals rule that would make home teams more defensive, it's more of a value-judgement on my part. Most big European teams are set up to play counter-attacking football, so I don't think your Liverpools or your Milans are suddenly going to become reincarnations of the 1970s Ajax team. I suppose tho that there is a small chance home teams with managers who're devotees of the beautiful game might be more inclined to throw caution to the wind, but any benefit there would be more than outweighed by the removal of the away goal carrot & the extra penalty shoot-outs.

voted yes, for the reason you gave, season lasts 46 games and some punk team has a good run of three or four games in may and they go up when they haven't been quite as consistent. Also find it funny the team that wins through the play offs gets a trophy, wtf is that about? You're third best ffs, you don't get a trophy.
Playoffs are ok when it is only 3rd v 4th. But when you have playoffs between 3rd-6th it becomes pretty stupid. I would like to know the actually record first of all of sides that have come 6th that have won the playoffs and secondly their record in the premiership. I would be surprised if many sides that came from 6th spot actually stayed up.

Over the course of season if you can't produce a side that is good enough to come in the top 4. I think you have next to no chance of staying up in premiership. Atleast if you finish in the top four you have a shown you have a decent side and with some changes you might be competitive in the premiership. Finishing 5th or 6th your on a hiding to nothing, unless you had massive injuries during the first half of the season.
I'm surprised that two blokes who're fans of a code that decides its champions by play-offs are (by & large) anti them. In the NRL (& the AFL too as it goes) the team finsihing 8th in a 16 team league could be crowned champions.

I'd have just guessed play-offs would be an accepted part of your sporting culture.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Were you at the game in Torquay? Saw someone that looked suspiciously like you in the Exeter fans on the telly.