• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Official English Football Thread

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Neil Pickup said:
Agree on 4/5 except Rooney rather than Eeyore.
Still don't see how you can put a bit part player, who does have potential I agree, but is yet to come near to fulfilling it, ahead of someone who scares top International defenders?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Paid The Umpire said:
Reading FC.

Have increased there promotion hopes:

Burnley winger Glen Little and Man U's Luke Chadwick. both at the club till end of the season.
I've heard Chadwick is going to be employed to stand up front and put the goalkeeper off by being so ugly it's unbelievable.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Derby had the other Chadwick (the 'pretty' one) on loan until this week - trying to help us avoid the drop to Div 2.

He's rubbish too.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
marc71178 said:
Still don't see how you can put a bit part player, who does have potential I agree, but is yet to come near to fulfilling it, ahead of someone who scares top International defenders?
he may well scare defenders, but at the end of the day a strikers job is to score goals, and he simply doesnt score enough. With the quality mid fielders england have (scholes, butt, beckham...) they really dont need heskey playing that type of role. If owen was in top class form then i guess you could warrant heskey's selection, but he isnt scoring that many goals himself lately, so beattie, jeffers and rooney should be considered above him.

could someone tell me about the england u21 game that was played yesterday. all i heard is england lost and i cant find any thing about it on the net. scorers ect.... would be good.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Owen's got 20+ goals this season, and he's scored 3 in 4 I think, so I'd say he's in form, and he's done that partnering Heskey, so I say keep him in there.

They lost 4-2, Ameobi scored both for England, then got sent off for 2 bookings (2nd one for running on and putting the ball in the net after the whistle) - Barry scored an own goal.

Simon

well if thats the case for owen, i cant see a problem having heskey there, if he plays well. i know owen was in a massive form slump at some stage this season (15+ games without a goal???).

Thats a disapointing result for the u21's though. Ameobi's 2 is a positive sign though.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
I've heard Chadwick is going to be employed to stand up front and put the goalkeeper off by being so ugly it's unbelievable.
A running joke on They Think It's All Over...

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
marc71178 said:
Owen's got 20+ goals this season, and he's scored 3 in 4 I think, so I'd say he's in form, and he's done that partnering Heskey, so I say keep him in there.
He's done that infront of Liverpool's midfield.

HESKEY: 32 CAPS - 4 GOALS

Not acceptable!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Neil Pickup said:
He's done that infront of Liverpool's midfield.

HESKEY: 32 CAPS - 4 GOALS

Not acceptable!
He hit the target a few times today but still no goals. The midfield are supposed to supply the passes, so why don't we have 2 forwards who can score rather than just one?

Cloete

International Captain
yeah i agree. i think england should play beattie and owen rather than heskey. only i'm not sure whether rooney should be in the squad. i say the 4 forwards should be owen,jeffers,heskey and beattie. as u never know when heskey may come in handy.

Simon

i see england won over night, how did heskey go????? and did rooney get on the field?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
My view, having just watched the game, is that Heskey played quite well, set up Owen's goal very well, and the only blemish (if you can call it that) was when he tried to lift it over the keeper rather than heading it.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Cloete said:
did rooney get on the field?
Yes for the last 10 minutes. It really seems pointless when you have that little time. He's made 30 odd premiership appearances this season and scored 6 goals...he's started about 4 of them...

Cloete

International Captain
yeah fair enough. has there been n e more news on the beckham/ real madrid transfer?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Cloete said:
yeah fair enough. has there been n e more news on the beckham/ real madrid transfer?
You seriously think it's going to happen? He's based in Manchester and has a huge house here and his whole life is based around living in England. And does he really seem to need more money? He won't move.

Simon

i doubt he would go to real madrid, mainly for lifestyle reasons. Im sure he wont want his children starting school in spain and posh wont want to go to spain for career reasons. if he went anywhere, celtic or rangers would be bigger chances, but the comp in scotland is no where near good enough for his standards.