• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Oscar Pistorius

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Agree with Hingston here, it's unfortunate for Pistorius, but I'm glad the IAAF made the decision they did.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Disgraceful. Athletics is about the testing of the human body, and whether it gives him an advantage or not, a plastic leg is not natural.

cpr

International Coach
His PB is a full second outside the A qualifying time (half a second outside the B time), cant see him making it. What i want to know is, will he use the same pair of blades all through his career, take a few months off if he breaks one? or replace when he feels there a bit worn down? Cant say thats not an advantage......

Personally, think he should be allowed to run in non top ranking events whilst research is carried out, only way to test for sure. Contrary to what he claims, there is advantages to his blades (see paragraph above for an example), however cant see the advantage being enough to get runners to cut their own legs off to enhance their career, i'm pretty sure real legs are much more fun

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
this is pretty poor show imo, I can understand why he has been given this chance...just about....but i'm against this outright, as it simply is making a mockery of the entire thing.

Similarly were someone who was a perfect physical specimen with no disabilities or whatever to put himself forward for a race in the paralympics there would be a huge outcry.

This seems to be setting the precedent for the way things will go though, I saw something on the news the other day about a Swimmer who only had one leg who was also going to be granted to compete at the Olympics later in the summer...will end in tears I predict.

cpr

International Coach
Hmm, can understand the swimmer situation, as he's not gaining any advantage by missing a leg. Well, unless the lack of water resistance down that side outweighs the kicking power, but even then, he's not gained from any artificial aids to the body.

Can fully understand Pistorius's desire to compete against the best, and i wouldnt have any problem with him competing in the Olympics if it can be proved that his artificial legs do not offer him competitive advantages. If they do, then they go against the whole ethos of the Olympics, which is for each athlete to show their natural ability in competition. If its shown his legs are designed to enhance and improve on his natural skill, then they cant be allowed. Otherwise we might aswell give Ben Johnson his gold back.

However, looking at his times so far, cant exactly see that being the case. Still its a dangerous ground ATM, on one hand you've got a persons desire to do what every athlete dreams of, in competiting against the best at the biggest stage on earth. On the other, you do have to consider that in a purely competitive situation only do those prostethic limbs offer an advantage over normal limbs (had to bold that part, because i feel like a bit of a **** arguing that having no legs is an advantage)

Langeveldt

Soutie
This seems to be setting the precedent for the way things will go though, I saw something on the news the other day about a Swimmer who only had one leg who was also going to be granted to compete at the Olympics later in the summer...will end in tears I predict.

I think thats Natalie du Toit.. Although I am not against her competing as I don't think she's having any mechanical aids in the pool..

Have no idea what it is with SA and having immensely good disabled athletes..

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Great news and its an inspiration towards individuals who are far less fortunate than ourselves and its awe inspiring to see someone be able to compete against able-bodied athletes.

biased indian

International Coach
ESPN Page 2s take on the matter.

Fairly to the point
If a legless swimmer showed up at a meet with carbon-fiber flippers, would that be all right? If a legless high-jumper used spring-loaded Cheetahs, would that be allowed?

the above are from the link..he could have used those eg if pistorius had any kind of wheels on his artificial legs

Good news let him compete now..since he dont gain any advanteg. As and when people feel he gain unfair advantge they can apeeal aganist this decision rite ???

Langeveldt

Soutie
If a legless swimmer showed up at a meet with carbon-fiber flippers, would that be all right? If a legless high-jumper used spring-loaded Cheetahs, would that be allowed?

the above are from the link..he could have used those eg if pistorius had any kind of wheels on his artificial legs

Good news let him compete now..since he dont gain any advanteg. As and when people feel he gain unfair advantge they can apeeal aganist this decision rite ???
He could well gain an unfair advantage.. But the thing is, you can't even gauge whether he does or not, which makes it even more of a farce...