View Poll Results: Is relegation a good thing in sport?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    18 85.71%
  • No

    3 14.29%
Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 384

Thread: Relegation: good thing or bad thing?

  1. #61
    International Coach
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    13,287
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    TBF it's probably partly the sport that you aren't receptive to.

    The best argument for relegation is that it gives hope (however nominal) to supporters of teams outside the top flight that one day their club will be in with the big boys. I know nothing about AFL at all, but if you were a follower of (say) South Melbourne back in the day you're now either faced with a mother of a round trip to see "your" team or to start to follow one of the other local clubs, which is usually anethema to any fan. When Wimbledon relocated to Milton Keynes & were "rebranded" as the MK Dons over here a group of local supporters formed their own team called AFC Wimbledon who do have that chance (however minimal it is) that they could be back in the big time one day.
    Personally I don't see the argument against relegation, unless you don't have enough teams to make it worthwhile, which tbf may be the case in Australia, I don't know.

    Basically means you can build up as good a team as you like, you still won't be allowed in the big competitions. What's the point of that?
    MSN - tomhalsey123@hotmail.com

    Manchester United FC: 20 Times

    R.I.P. Sledger's Signature, 2004-2008

  2. #62
    International Coach
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    13,287
    Quote Originally Posted by Linda View Post
    Didnt realise (am pretty clueless when it comes to soccer) the French League had a club that won it 7 times in a row. What the hell is the point?!
    Means that when some other team finally wins it (which will happen sooner or later) the sense of achievement will be greater IMO. You've beaten a team that's been dominant for so long, rather than a team which won the League randomly one year and haven't done anything since.

    That's also what makes achievements such as The Double or The Treble so special - no-one did The Double in the 20th Century until Tottenham managed in in 1961 (?) (even if it has become more common since), and even fewer teams have done The Treble - IIRC 4 have, and only one of those in a major league.

    I know for a fact that Manchester went mad when we won the League title for the first time in 26 years, and witnessed it when we won the European Cup again 31 years on from "Bobby's big night out at Wembley", as Clive put it.

  3. #63
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Posts
    44,954
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Halsey View Post
    Personally I don't see the argument against relegation, unless you don't have enough teams to make it worthwhile, which tbf may be the case in Australia, I don't know.

    Basically means you can build up as good a team as you like, you still won't be allowed in the big competitions. What's the point of that?
    To put the case for opposition (not that I necessarily agree) you could argue that having no threat of relegation encourages less short-termism in managerial decisions (hopefully meaning more of an emphasis on development of promising young players) & having a salary cap encourages a more even distribution of talent.

    WRT building a team up from outside of the top tier, if the example of the Gold Coast (the new NRL team) is anything to go by, it seems the franchise is awarded then the team is developed; they're a wholly new team.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

    - As featured in The Independent.

    "The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

  4. #64
    International Coach
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    13,287
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Is it a true market when there are such large losses, though?
    Yes IMO. It's still the fans who pay the players' wages.


  5. #65
    International Coach
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    13,287
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    To put the case for opposition (not that I necessarily agree) you could argue that having no threat of relegation encourages less short-termism in managerial decisions (hopefully meaning more of an emphasis on development of promising young players) & having a salary cap encourages a more even distribution of talent.

    WRT building a team up from outside of the top tier, if the example of the Gold Coast (the new NRL team) is anything to go by, it seems the franchise is awarded then the team is developed; they're a wholly new team.
    Yeah, that's fair enough, I suppose it comes down to whether you value your club or your country more. For me it's definitely club, as the national side don't seem to care very much.

  6. #66
    Hall of Fame Member steds's Avatar
    Breakout Champion!
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    ****ing cold and ****ing wet
    Posts
    17,201
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Halsey View Post
    Means that when some other team finally wins it (which will happen sooner or later) the sense of achievement will be greater IMO.
    Means that until some other team wins it (which usually happens later), it's the most boring thing on earth.

  7. #67
    International Vice-Captain Linda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Perth, West Aus
    Posts
    4,705
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Halsey View Post
    Personally I don't see the argument against relegation, unless you don't have enough teams to make it worthwhile, which tbf may be the case in Australia, I don't know.

    Basically means you can build up as good a team as you like, you still won't be allowed in the big competitions. What's the point of that?
    Not really. The players it would take to be in a team good enough to play in the AFL would be already playing in the AFL, I imagine... if that makes sense. One of the 16 clubs wouldve already signed them up.

    "I know I underperformed but after the past 18 months I thought I might have received more than four Test matches' grace."
    - DR Martyn.

    "Is there any way to make it longer?"
    Peter English on Twenty20


    Official Face of the v. hip 'Twenty20 Is Boring Society'

  8. #68
    International Vice-Captain Linda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Perth, West Aus
    Posts
    4,705
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    To put the case for opposition (not that I necessarily agree) you could argue that having no threat of relegation encourages less short-termism in managerial decisions (hopefully meaning more of an emphasis on development of promising young players) & having a salary cap encourages a more even distribution of talent.

    WRT building a team up from outside of the top tier, if the example of the Gold Coast (the new NRL team) is anything to go by, it seems the franchise is awarded then the team is developed; they're a wholly new team.
    It differs, really. Tbh, I have absolutely no clue about NRL so I cant give any examples. But in the AFL some clubs are new, some merged and some stem from State League teams, such as Fremantle.

  9. #69
    International Vice-Captain Linda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Perth, West Aus
    Posts
    4,705
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    TBF it's probably partly the sport that you aren't receptive to.

    The best argument for relegation is that it gives hope (however nominal) to supporters of teams outside the top flight that one day their club will be in with the big boys. I know nothing about AFL at all, but if you were a follower of (say) South Melbourne back in the day you're now either faced with a mother of a round trip to see "your" team or to start to follow one of the other local clubs, which is usually anethema to any fan. When Wimbledon relocated to Milton Keynes & were "rebranded" as the MK Dons over here a group of local supporters formed their own team called AFC Wimbledon who do have that chance (however minimal it is) that they could be back in the big time one day.
    Oh and BB, Im not really that fussed on relegation, but I can see how it can help a league. Im more against the lack of a salary cap.

    Relegation just wouldnt work at all here, for mine. Say Brisbane get knocked out one year, AFL would more than likely fall in a huge hole in Queensland and the Lions would never be seen again.

  10. #70
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jason Koumas is having a party
    Posts
    48,136
    See, English football fans do tend to be quite loyal. Man Citeh were down in the old Third and still averaging 30,000. In fact, when we went down from the First to the Second, our attendances went up.

    Mind you, it's not true of all. It really bugs me when people say Newcastle are the best fans in the world. We beat them at St James in 92, and there were less than 20,000 there. 30,000 fans were suddenly gained when they became a decent Prem outfit. Coincidence? Fickle!
    "It was an easy decision to sign. I could have gone elsewhere, I had calls, but it never entered my mind it's not about the money."
    Jason Koumas

    SWA

    RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

  11. #71
    Global Moderator vic_orthdox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    25,072
    But when you went from First to Second, was there more interest because people were interested in watching you win?

  12. #72
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jason Koumas is having a party
    Posts
    48,136
    Not sure - if that was what they came for, they'd have been disappointed. Attendances had been on the up for a couple of years, and it just seemed that relegation didn't really effect it. They're lower now though, but I'd put that down to poor performances rather than results. People will watch a crap team play entertaining football, but people won't stand for dross I guess. Except mugs like myself

  13. #73
    School Boy/Girl Captain savill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Colchester,Eng
    Posts
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Didn't know that actually, but it does make sense. There have definitely been moves to stop teams achieving success through bankruptcy in the last 3-4 years though, with the ten-point penalty now for going into administration.

    Makes the fact that a wee small team like Colchester (even if the town is a poo-hole of the first water) are doing creditably in about tenth & Dirty Leeds are rooted to the foot that bit funnier.

    Moreover how buggered would The Chavs be if the Prem had a similar arrangement regarding revenue...?
    Oi enough of that!

    People just don't realise how little Col U pay - I'd be surprised if any of our players were on more than £1,500 - £2,000 a week, most are probably on £500 - £1,000. Apparently our highest paid player earns lower than the lowest paid player at Leeds.

  14. #74
    International Coach
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    13,287
    Quote Originally Posted by steds View Post
    Means that until some other team wins it (which usually happens later), it's the most boring thing on earth.
    If people are still watching it, evidently it is not.

  15. #75
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Midlands
    Posts
    22,939
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    See, English football fans do tend to be quite loyal. Man Citeh were down in the old Third and still averaging 30,000.
    Old Second Division tbh.

    Leeds are about to do the same, pretty big fanbase but are about to find themselves in League One.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Great Test Matches..
    By Neil Pickup in forum General
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 04-10-2010, 07:17 PM
  2. Good and Bad Personal Meetings with Cricketers
    By Goughy in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 10-05-2006, 07:33 AM
  3. Why is Sehwag so good: My analysis
    By C_C in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 30-03-2005, 05:07 PM
  4. Surrey 2002: A Cricket Captain Diary
    By SIX AND OUT in forum General
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 17-02-2005, 08:25 AM
  5. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 17-07-2003, 04:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •