Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: English sport in meltdown

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby
    Moreover our best player at the WC was a Canadian who plays in Germany.
    On the BBC website today he's saying he's a Brit who just happened to be born in Canada.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

Cricketer Of The Year Turbinator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matteh
    On the BBC website today he's saying he's a Brit who just happened to be born in Canada.
    BRAAAP!!! CANADA!!!

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbinator
    BRAAAP!!! CANADA!!!

Personally i'm a Brit who just happened to be born in Germany, can understand the Hargreaves plight, only he didn't get called a Nazi or Hitler's Grandson repeatedly in his early teens.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matteh
    He's never lived in Britain...

WRT the thread question: it does seem to forget that there are a fair amount of other nations who also do top training work, coachwork etc., so I don't think there's anything specifically English about being poor. In cricket there are five nations with the significant talent pool and setup to be the best in the world at present. In union there's about seven. In league there's two, but England's participation is limited to two counties with combined population about 7 million. In football there's seven (+ all the countries with small footballing populations but good setups, see Netherlands, Croatia, Sweden, etc.).

You can only reasonably expect to be midway up the table when competition among these nations is so fierce. (It's the reason Norway have found a bunch of sports nobody else cares about, such as women's handball, speed skating and curling, to be any good at.)
    Last edited by Samuel_Vimes; 18-12-2006 at 03:23 AM.
    Messi scores on the rebound.

Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    It's a good job the Mighty Whites are flying high. In sport I care for the whites first, the England Cricket team second and then the England football team. Pretty dismal at the minute, I think to be serious, the BBC's awards bash last week highlighted how poor things are at the moment. It's swings and roundabouts though, I mean this time next year we'll be arguing over whether it's the WC-winning Cricketers or Rugby players who deserved team of the year at the damn thing....
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

There wasn't enough of criticism after SL drew the series with England. That was pitiful really, after England went 1-0 up they acted as if it was only a matter of time before they won the series.

That was all forgotten however the minute they beat Pakistan (good win no doubt) and the Ashes were near. Conveniently forgetting that England have only won 5 tests since the Ashes (4 if you don't count the Pakistan forfeit). Not impressive at all.

Cannot comment on the other sports, but IMO England were far too happy to pat themselves on the back and forget about the jobs (plural, not just the next Ashes but the Pakistan and India tour etc.) ahead.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    There wasn't enough of criticism after SL drew the series with England. That was pitiful really, after England went 1-0 up they acted as if it was only a matter of time before they won the series.

That was all forgotten however the minute they beat Pakistan (good win no doubt) and the Ashes were near. Conveniently forgetting that England have only won 5 tests since the Ashes (4 if you don't count the Pakistan forfeit). Not impressive at all.

Cannot comment on the other sports, but IMO England were far too happy to pat themselves on the back and forget about the jobs (plural, not just the next Ashes but the Pakistan and India tour etc.) ahead.
    It's not just Cricket, it happens in everything. In sport, to stand still is to go backwards, but noone ever says that to our successful teams.

Breakout Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes
    In union there's about seven.
    I count 5 at most.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by steds
    I count 5 at most.

Yeah, it's a miracle that the Celtic nations compete with us much less beat us.

England being 7th is an absolute disgrace because not only are we the richest Union we have by far the biggest playing base. Link here. The figures are damning

WRT to Vimes's point about countries with small footballing populations but good setups; it's a fair enough shout, but it does pre-suppose ours is inferior! Why is ours inferior? It's surely not a given? Moreover, countries with similar populations to us (Italy, France) have enjoyed far more success on the world stage.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

PY
    There's very few countries that compete to a high standard in all of the sports we are doing rubbish in currently.

Australia are the closest (as ever) but I wouldn't class their footy team quite there yet but definitely getting there.
    A True Champion - Bob. Rest in peace. 15/04/06
    "People today have too big a devil and too small a God"

- Stephen Currie

"The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" Psalm 27:1

Dunno about the rest of you Aussies... but i'm loving this thread It reminds me just what a great country we live in....

Clearly England need to use more convicts in their sporting teams
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

Quote Originally Posted by Chubb
    Peter Roebuck will tell you it's because of the closure of the mines, the rejection of stoicism in public schools (as if all English sportsmen either worked in a colliery or were privately educated before 1980), and that as a result we're obsessed, and I quote "with pork pies and clever dicks", the whole nation now largely consists of ignorant, racist, xenophobic, drunken louts, and what sporting culture we have is obsessed with the individual rather than the team.
    Fair comment.

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubb
    Peter Roebuck will tell you it's because of the closure of the mines, the rejection of stoicism in public schools (as if all English sportsmen either worked in a colliery or were privately educated before 1980), and that as a result we're obsessed, and I quote "with pork pies and clever dicks", the whole nation now largely consists of ignorant, racist, xenophobic, drunken louts, and what sporting culture we have is obsessed with the individual rather than the team.

You have just either called yourself one of many ignorant people you were describing in your post, or contradicted yourself greatly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire
    You have just either called yourself one of many ignorant people you were describing in your post, or contradicted yourself greatly.
    TBF that's what Roebuck was saying, Chubb just quoted the old child-beater.

Quote Originally Posted by PY
    There's very few countries that compete to a high standard in all of the sports we are doing rubbish in currently.

Australia are the closest (as ever) but I wouldn't class their footy team quite there yet but definitely getting there.
    Fair point....

....but.....

Oz are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay ahead in League & Cricket, shading us in Union (although they aren't that flash just now either really), we're still ahead slightly in the football & Oz still manage to have their own football code, everyone's favorite Victorian oxymoron, Aussie Rules.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information